In other news...

tkdguy

The Catalans aren't defending slavery. The South Carolina secession document was a gem.

FWIW, the current Spanish state has strong elements of continuity with Franco's regime.

To play Devil's Advocate, should the reason for leaving matter?  THe end result is still forcing a province against their will to remain part of your country.  Benevolent tyranny will still be tyranny.

To play Devil's Advocate, should the reason for leaving matter?  THe end result is still forcing a province against their will to remain part of your country.  Benevolent tyranny will still be tyranny.

Specific details always matter. Otherwise you end up with reductio ad adsurdum.

Opens CCleaner. Checks version. 5.23.5808 (64-bit). Phew!

The article did clue me in that Avast acquired Piriform. Not sure how I feel about that. I am certain that I am going to have to consider upgrading to the latest version very carefully, not only because of the issues with 5.33 but also because Avast AV and I never got along. 

Anybody know of a good alternative?

I was pleased to be a kickstarter backer of a Computer Cleaner for people who don't know computers...can't remember what it was called. Avast bought them. And I loved Avast for a long long time

But they started just installing stuff and pop ups to remind me to upgrade beyond what I was already paying them.

So I uninstalled it. 

I paid Piriform for the Pro version of CCleaner and their other software as well. I always wanted to support them.

Now I've uninstalled that. I'll just used Windows Defender and Windows tools to declutter my discs. I do have Malware Bytes on my computer but their last update pissed me off with them too. 

You can't uninstall MBAM without going into Safemode (or at least I haven't been able to on several different machines.)

I don't think I can reliably recommend any Free AV or declutterer anymore.

A major bribery scandal has broken out in college basketball, with assistant coaches at four schools arrested for steering players towards Adidas-backed teams and financial managers. The goal, apparently, was to get the best players on teams that wear Adidas gear by paying off people involved in recruiting and in some cases making payments to the player or their family. The indictments are for bribery, wire fraud, and other federal crimes.

According to ESPN, one of the schools involved is perennial power Louisville. The four coaches actually named in the indictment are at Pac-12 powers Arizona and USC, Auburn, and Oklahoma State. 

Gosh, I'm shocked, shocked, that this would happen. :rolleyes:

Actually, the only thing that shocks me about this is that Phil Knight sasn't caught doing this for the Ducks. Who knows, maybe that investigation is still ongoing.

Knight's relationship with the University of Oregon is complicated. He is essentially a "super-booster" and a heavy donor to all aspects of the university. The whole school is deep in his pockets. (he has also donated to the law libraries at Stanford and bankrolled cutting-edge cancer research at Oregon Health & Sciences University in Portland).

Basketball at the collegiate level has enormous ethical problems. Players can no longer sign up for the NBA straight out of high school, so they have to wait a year -- and they might as well polish their game while doing it. Thus the very best young players are usually "one and done" -- they play for a single collegiate system until they meet the requirements to enter the NBA draft. Then they turn pro, forfeiting the remainder of their scholarship -- when then is used to recruit another blue-chipper and continue the cycle. If the player does finish his degree, it could be years later after his pro career. Some coaches specialize in getting these players, riding them for that one year of glory, then moving on to the next crop of recruits. Players do it because they know they'll be more marketable with a good NCAA Tournament run under their belts.

Shoe companies want to build relationships with these players, in hopes they sell shoes and other apparel for them. Adidas is accused of crossing over the line. The mentioned payments to player families are violations of NCAA rules and not criminal law -- the problem is when you go to the lengths Adidas is accused of going to conceal what you're doing. That's wire fraud, which is a federal crime..

There is some speculation on which schools will also be investigated, and which coaches are going to lose both their jobs and their reputations.

There is some speculation on which schools will also be investigated, and which coaches are going to lose both their jobs and their reputations.

I would expect they've investigated lots of places, and the press item lists only those where they found enough smoking guns that the FBI is confident they can get criminal convictions. There will be others in the flies where they're pretty sure stuff happened but they aren't sure a jury would convict on what they have right now, and ideally more evidence will fall in for successful subsequent prosecution.

Basketball at the collegiate level has enormous ethical problems. Players can no longer sign up for the NBA straight out of high school, so they have to wait a year -- and they might as well polish their game while doing it. Thus the very best young players are usually "one and done" -- they play for a single collegiate system until they meet the requirements to enter the NBA draft. Then they turn pro, forfeiting the remainder of their scholarship -- when then is used to recruit another blue-chipper and continue the cycle. If the player does finish his degree, it could be years later after his pro career. Some coaches specialize in getting these players, riding them for that one year of glory, then moving on to the next crop of recruits. Players do it because they know they'll be more marketable with a good NCAA Tournament run under their belts.

I wonder if this is in any way related to the recent revelation that 60% of NBA players are bankrupt after leaving the league.

Eighty-eight percent of American adults viewed the August total solar eclipse directly or electronically. This audience of 215 million adults is nearly twice the size of the viewership of recent Super Bowl football games.

source

... And ... NO ADs DURING THE EVENT

Take that and stick it where the Sun don't shine, Disney, News Corp, 21st Century Fox, Comcast, ...