In other news...

tkdguy

I'm slightly worried about the Ft. Hood shooting.  I have a cousin who was stationed there not too long ago.  Last I heard he had been shipped overseas.  (Though I am always about 4-6 months out of the loop with that side of the family on certain matters, so I worry he may have come back in the meantime since I last spoke to his mother and grandmother at Christmas).

I hope your cousin is safe. You can always try to contact his mom if you're worried.

On the bright side, if you haven't heard anything, chances are nothing bad has happened to him.

Yeah, I am 99% sure, he is still overseas.  More than likely his grandmother would contact my dad (they are siblings) and he'd likely call me.  We were planning on visiting her, ironically in a couple of weeks when I got my vacation (week of 14th).

I was a little more worried during the VT shooting, because I had a cousin on my mother's side who definitely was their (junior at the time) he was way on the other side of the campus at the time, as it turned out.

Regardless, it probably want have a good effect on his grandmother, she was real nervous about him going into military life as it was.  THe linkage alone is sure to have a negative effect on her stress-wise, knowing her as I do.

More than likely I will call my dad when I am on break at work tonight, if I still dont know for sure.  ("worry" probably is an overstatement, because as I said he is probably still overseas, but it is one of those in the very back of your mind naggers "what if he has come stateside and no one told me?" type of things)

Reminds me of an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.  The jerk boss who mocks the man he just fired for crying is in a car wreck and paralyzed.  Only after spending the night alone in the morgue and realizing they are going to embalm him does he break down and cry himself.  A nurse sees his tears and he is saved.