In other news...

tkdguy

7 hours ago, Christopher said:

CNN and MSNBC do report on misdeeds in the Democratic Party and reporting mistakes. That makes them by definition a more reliable newsources then Fox.

There's news and then there's pundit shows. Fox News actually does pretty okay on the news part. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/watching_fox/2017/11/03/the_lessons_of_watching_fox_news_for_three_weeks_non_stop.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/11/15/shepard-smiths-long-history-of-infuriating-fox-news-viewers/?utm_term=.650507c48100

53 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

That is one guy going agaisnt everything Fox stands for. Viewers actually called for him to be fired. Yet somehow he has not?

Is he the alibi non-pundit to make the whole appear less biased?

58 minutes ago, Christopher said:

That is one guy going agaisnt everything Fox stands for. Viewers actually called for him to be fired. Yet somehow he has not?

Is he the alibi non-pundit to make the whole appear less biased?

They have a few of them, but they're generally limited to just a few hours in the afternoon.

Guys, we can talk about Fox News some other time? They're not going to change.

Of some concern to me as a sports fan is that as part of the deal ESPN will be taking over more than twenty regional sports networks currently run by Fox. (The Murdochs will still control the main broadcast network.) Is it a good thing? Hard to say. One consequence might be that a lot more programming will be available on ESPN's upcoming stand-alone pay service. But not their top content like Major League Baseball and the NBA.

Right now each major pro league except the NFL has their own subscription service for out-of-market games. I subscribe to the NHL service and will re-sign with the Major League Baseball service once they're in season. A lot of those are the feeds from Fox regional services. With these now run by ESPN, negotiation for those is going to be tricky.

7 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Guys, we can talk about Fox News some other time? They're not going to change.

Of some concern to me as a sports fan is that as part of the deal ESPN will be taking over more than twenty regional sports networks currently run by Fox. (The Murdochs will still control the main broadcast network.) Is it a good thing? Hard to say. One consequence might be that a lot more programming will be available on ESPN's upcoming stand-alone pay service. But not their top content like Major League Baseball and the NBA.

Right now each major pro league except the NFL has their own subscription service for out-of-market games. I subscribe to the NHL service and will re-sign with the Major League Baseball service once they're in season. A lot of those are the feeds from Fox regional services. With these now run by ESPN, negotiation for those is going to be tricky.

If there's a market for ESPN to maintain the regional services, I'm sure that they will. And I'm sure that they'll be willing to share out-of-market games for a cut of the revenue (which is probably what the Fox regionals get as well).

That said, ESPN's base model (charge everyone for the service as part of a basic cable package) is starting to fail, due to cord-cutting*. That's one of the reasons that they're attempting to go into streaming in a big way.

*I don't watch ESPN, but when I had cable, it represented about $8 of my basic cable subscription price**. A few more bucks went to the regional Fox Sports channel, which also was something that I didn't watch. I got tired of paying about a quarter of my cable bill as a subsidy for other people's viewing habits, so I cut the cord, and went with various streaming and over the air options.

**It's been estimated that ESPN would cost about $20/month if not subsidized

On 19/12/2017 at 2:19 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I used to take the Cascades whenever I had a convention in Seattle or Olympia. It just made sense. Now that I've had to give up travel, I miss the relative copmofrt of an Amtrak train if I have to go someplace.

I'm pretty sure this will become a convenient way to discourage Amtrak travel.

I doubt that. There have several accidents over the years in Britain that did not stop rail travel. There will be no difference in America.

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

I doubt that. There have several accidents over the years in Britain that did not stop rail travel. There will be no difference in America.

There is apparently a huge difference. I only learned it this year myself.

Indeed the only reason Passenger Transport even exists in America is legal obligations: