In other news...

tkdguy

54 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

A commodified version of the tech in Looker and Rising Sun, with the ethics shown in Jurassic Park.

I remember Rising Sun. I think I saw Jurassic Park, and haven't seen Looker. 

But it seems the era of "fake history" will be upon us sooner rather than later. 

It was all over the moment a popular host basically said (paraphrased)  "Ok, so that wasn't true... but it FELT like it could be true, and that's the real problem with <target of news> " before resuming the attack.

"Feeling" it "could" be true about a broad demographic of people has led to some of the greatest atrocities in human history. 

Knock it off. 

Yeah, when you have one of the most trusted names in cable news willing to not only skew news portrayal to suit its political ends, but to actually create fictional news stories, it's not going to end well.  I'm using Google News and effing Reddit as two major filters to try and get something like unbiased journalism, but neither is perfect.

Kiro's owned by Cox, FWIW. I don't watch their TV news much, but the guy quoted in the article does a lot to help people. Their radio station affiliate (owned by a different group) also does a lot of public service stuff and seems to be fairly decent at reporting local news, particularly keeping an eye on the shenanigans committed by the local city, county and state governments and agencies.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:09 PM, DasBroot said:

It was all over the moment a popular host basically said (paraphrased)  "Ok, so that wasn't true... but it FELT like it could be true, and that's the real problem with <target of news> " before resuming the attack.

"Feeling" it "could" be true about a broad demographic of people has led to some of the greatest atrocities in human history. 

Knock it off. 

But, it makes it so much easier to demonize your enemies.  You're acting like the ends don't justify the means.  (end sarcasm)

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, Pattern Ghost said:

Remember that Iraqi press secretary guy who was talking about their impending victory with our tanks cruising past him in the background? That's my most respected news source. :P

Baghdad Bob?  I need to get him as the Ewokhunter PR guy, you know just in case.

8 hours ago, Badger said:

There has always beeb fake history.   Victor gets to tell the tale and all that.

The allies were the Victors of WW2. But only a complete moron would doubt the Holocaust. Mostly because we germans love to have documentation of everything, even industrialised mass murder.

8 hours ago, Badger said:

But, it makes it so much easier to demonize your enemies.  You're acting like the ends don't justify the means.  (end sarcasm)

"Maybe our claims about the Jewish world conspiracy are not true, but they feel like they could be true and that is the real problem..." any Nazi between WW1 and WW2.

Those who do not learn from teh past, are doomed to repeat it.

Right 8 of 17, were gun discharged but no one injured.  Which makes me think of the police resource officer pulled a Barney Fife when he reholstered is gun or something.  Until, I feel like reading the rest of the story, and they clarify those 8.  I'm going with 10 (which is still probably bad considering this is 6 weeks in)

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Which makes me think of the police resource officer pulled a Barney Fife when he reholstered is gun or something. 

The radio news said that some (I think two) were actually police training accidents. I'm not going to comb through the articles on their site, because it's not easily searchable (surprise!), but the organization is not a good source. They could make their case honestly, but they don't. They're scum.

My point exactly and I'm definitely pro gun btw.  Internal school numbers show approximately 60 instances of firearms discharging for the 17-18 school year nationwide (the wife works in upper administration for 2 different districts).  Guns should NOT be fired on school property, except by security personnel doing their job.  Period.

5 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

These guys have the loosest definition of "school shooting" possible, to inflate their numbers.

5 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

The radio news said that some (I think two) were actually police training accidents. I'm not going to comb through the articles on their site, because it's not easily searchable (surprise!), but the organization is not a good source. They could make their case honestly, but they don't. They're scum.

You know, most countries have official statistic for stuff like this. You know, people dying and stuff.

The Weapon Lobby even prevents that much sanity.

Also they did clearly mention their Definiton in the Article. You were informed by the 3rd Sentence/2nd Pargraph.

Doign stuff like that is strongly supporting credibility in my book.