Focus: concealed until used

Rebar

What is the general wisdom on a focus that is normally pocketed and is only exposed when activated?

My Magician's smoke bomb: he whips it out and dashes it on the floor.

Would you buy that as IIF, IAF or OAF?

FRED (p183 sidebar) buys it as OAF, but here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/88884-flash-bombpoof/?p=2352019

it's bought  as IIF.

Also, would you consider Gestures as a valid lim? It's not like he can turn on this power with a thought or a trigger. He's got to have at least one hand free, to reach in, pull it out and toss it at the ground hard.

Well no, I guess focus covers it. eg. If his hands were bound he couldn't normally use any focus anyway.

If an opponent can grab the Focus and take it away in combat, it's Accessible. If it can only be taken away out of combat, then it is Inaccessible. The example you give sounds like it would be Inaccessible.

Well, it can be knocked out of his hand when he pulls it out to use it.

Re: Gestures

Gesture and Restrainable are sometimes 2 sides of the same coin.  They can be combined with Focus in certain situations.

I've built Wonder Woman's Lasso with OAF (-1) and Gestures (-1/4).  She needs to be able move the arm holding the lasso to be able to use the Stretching Power it bestows.

Spider-Man's Web Shooters are another good example.

Cost    Powers
80    Web Shooters (worn on each wrist): Variable Power Pool, 42 base + 60 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1); all slots Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (124 Active Points); Limited Power Web fluid constructs only (-1/2); all slots IIF (2 Webshooters, 1 on each Arm) (Quantity = 2 (from 6e2 page 181) 5 Real points; -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4), 2 clips of 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 20 Minutes (Increased Reloading Time: 2 Full Phases; Web Fluid; -1/4), Gestures (Must be able to squeeze palm trigger to use.; -1/4)

[Notes: (x2 number of items) Each VPP (2 Web Shooters are worn using the Equipment Doubling Rules) require a Skill Roll to change slots.  Every slot has some form of the Range Based on Strength modifier.  This means they effectively still cost the wearer END to use though the exact amount is up to the Player and GM to agree on.  The slots only appear to have 105 Active Points due to the application of Reduced End and Persistent (They are all 60 Active Points if removed from the VPP) These VPP Only Modifiers are only being used to allow the application of the Continuous Charge Modifier to represent the limited amount of Web Fluid carried.  I think this is a much easier method to track than traditional Charges or a separate End Reserve.]
0    1) Web Wall: Barrier 8 PD/7 ED, 9 BODY (up to 8m long, 8m tall, and 1/2m thick), Opaque Sight Group (105 Active Points); Cannot Englobe (-1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) Real Cost: 42 - END=0
0    2) Web Cocooning: Entangle 4d6, 6 PD/5 ED (Stops A Given Sense Normal Sight), Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4) (105 Active Points); Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Can Be Deflected (-1/4) Real Cost: 42 - END=0
0    3) Thrown Web Balls: Blast 8d6, Reduced Negation (1), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Constant (+1/2) (105 Active Points); Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) Real Cost: 42

[Notes: Constant was only included to meet requirement to fit into the VPP due to using a Continuing Charge instead of tradtional Charges or End Reserve to describe the limited amount of Web fluid carried.  I would disregard the Constant Advantage otherwise in this case.] - END=0
0    4) Web Rope: Telekinesis (40 STR) (105 Active Points); Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) Real Cost: 42 - END=0
0    5) Web Rope & Web Ballooning: Flight 30m, Range Based On STR (+1/4), Usable As Attack (+1 1/2), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally (105 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Swinging or Gliding (-1) Real Cost: 35

[Notes: Not only does this slot represent Swinging and Gliding.  It also covers Stretching by way of Usable As Attack. This was the only way Ranged Based on Strength (as an Advantage in this instance) could be applied to this slot.] - END=0

Captain America's Shield is another good example.

I've built it with OIF (-1/2) and Restrainable (-1/2).  The argument is that the Shield can be grabbed while strapped to his arm.  This doesn't mean he loses it automatically due to his arm-strap but he may not be able to use it to 'block' while it's grabbed.

Can it be taken away in-combat when he's not using it?

Good question. 'While he's not using it' is the key. If that's the criteria, then it's Inaccessible.

However, I must ask, If this is a Pulp Hero game (heroic) why are characters paying for equipment?

Because only standard equipment is free?

This is a Magician's smoke bomb; it operates the way the player wants it to. So he buys it that way.

My knife thrower gets her stiletto for free, but her drug-tipped hairpins cost CP.