How to Build: Intuitive Mad Scientist

BhelliomRahl

My group are looking to run a new game with young super powered characters just coming into their powers.  I have just read "Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Super Villain" and found the young mad scientist character very interesting.  I'm looking to build a character with the same power as her.

The power is: Intuitive Mad Science

Power Concept:

Intuitive creation rather than reasoned.

The character wants a tool or device to do something and the design comes to his mind, the character blacks out and while in this state builds the device.  The devices design and construction is beyond anything they would have knowledge of or skill to construct, in most cases beyond the knowledge or ability of anyone on the planet.  Overtime the character will be able to remain semi-conscious and observe the work, possible understanding some of it and this will help him understand how it works.  If he attempts to exert too much control over the construction process instead of letting it work he could lose the design from his head and come fully awake.

The Power also allows work which could potential take days to take hours and still built to an exceptional quality.

At present the power does not like to repeat itself, cannot attempt to bring the design to mind a second time.  Also will only come up with interesting ideas, if the problem is boring or basic the power will not kick in, he has to think of the idea in interesting and out of the box ways.  With thought in the right manner can get specific themes integrated into design. i.e. Steampunk, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc.

A second aspect of the power is knowledge of the design of other devices.  How they work and how to repair them if necessary, again in that semi-conscious state.

Power Build:

1) Skill: Inventor

2) PSL: Offset Penalty for reducing base time of skill.

3) Knowledge Skills with Limitation - Only for use with inventor, offers no conscious knowledge.

4) Skill: Mechanic

5) Professional Skill: Electronics, Robotics, etc.

6) Skill: Weaponsmith 

I would be interested in peoples ideas and takes on the concept.

It sounds like maybe you should skip the skills altogether if he doesn't have conscious access to them. A NCC VPP with appropriate limitations is probably going to be the easiest solution.

But thinking outside the box... how about a multiform? The Sleeping Genius is a form that only comes out when he sleeps, and disappears when he wakes.

While I am unable, at the present moment, to recall which supplement it was in I have used a power construction called 'Technological Intuition'. It is a combined power/skillset build....

My adaptation/version of the build can be seen in the build for my character Ellis that I used in the now closed 'Yet Another Teen Game' campaign on Herocentral.com. Here is a link to the character list where you can find Ellis: http://herocentral.net/characters.htm?campaignId=1119719 . He is roughly 1/3 down the page.

If I can find the info on which supplement, etc I'll post that later.

-Carl-

• 2 weeks later...