Watchmojo.com: Top 10 Iconic Champions RPG/Champions Online Vilians.

steriaca

Basically I ponder asking them to do a video on this subject. All it needs are votes. But in the meanwhile (since it is likely to never be made), what are your top 10?

Hear is my list.

Doctor Destroyer

Foxbat

Menton

Mechanon

Holocaust

Green Dragon

Grond

Ogre

Pulsar

And while I did put Utility on the list, I want to Firewing. I'm also shure I also added a character which is not on the Watchmojo.com list.

I have to say, while I'm not a great fan of Top 10 lists generally, the ones I find the most interesting are those which give a reason for a particular choice. Since the title of the thread specifies "most iconic," I'd like to know why someone considers a particular villain iconic. A bald list of names just comes across as subjective "likes," and while everyone has a right to like a particular villain, that alone doesn't justify attributing iconic status to him or her.

I have to say, while I'm not a great fan of Top 10 lists generally, the ones I find the most interesting are those which give a reason for a particular choice. Since the title of the thread specifies "most iconic," I'd like to know why someone considers a particular villain iconic. A bald list of names just comes across as subjective "likes," and while everyone has a right to like a particular villain, that alone doesn't justify attributing iconic status to him or her.

A lot of the villains named were with the game from the very beginning.  Armadillo, Bluejay, Brick, Cheshire Cat, Dragonfly, Green Dragon, Howler, Icicle, Mechanon, Ogre, Pulsar, Shrinker and VIPER are in the campaign book for the Champions boxed set.  Doctor Destroyer was the villain in the first published adventure The Island Of Doctor Destroyer. Foxbat first appeared in Enemies II and later had his own column in Adventurers' Club, the official HERO PnP magazine.  I would say this qualifies them for iconic status, at least as far as the Champions RPG is concerned.

The problem is that most Champions supervillians are based on villains from other sources (Dr. Destroyer on Dr. Doom, Mechanon on Ultron, Grond on the Abomination, etc). Foxbat is just about the only iconic original villain.

This is characteristic of most superhero universes that are created from the ground up.  If you remember the Milestone universe they had Icon (Superman), Static (Spider-Man but with electrical powers), Hardware (Batman but more tech-oriented) and the Blood Syndicate (X-Men, Teen Titans, etc.).  In Kurt Busiek's Astro City you have Samaritan (Post-Crisis John Byrne Superman) Supersonic (Silver Age Superman) Leopardman and Kitkat (Silver Age Batman and Robin) the Confessor and Altar Boy (O'Neill/Adams Batman and Robin) the First Family (Fantastic Four), Winged Victory (Wonder Woman), the Hanged Man (the Spectre) and many more.   

I recall Steve Long saying something to the effect that players like to pit their characters against villains similiar to what can be found in the comics, which is why he introduced the Black Harlequin in the 5th Edition Conquerors, Killers & Crooks. (Three guesses as to who inspired that villain, and the first two don't count.)  Mechanon, on the other hand, if you keep his original concept in mind (he was meant to be a guard for a superhero team's base, but Something Went Wrong), then he can be seen as not so much a case of "swiping from the comics" as "the Gamemaster messing with his players again"--

:straight: : "Okay, we want to build a superpowered AI robot to guard our base for us while we're away.  Can we do that?"

:eg: : "Suurrrre you can!  Go right ahead!  It'll be FUN!  BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

:angst:  :shock:  :no:  :idjit:  :cry:

:nonp: : "I don't mind the laughter--but does he have to shine the flashlight in his face like that?"

:winkgrin:

A lot of the villains named were with the game from the very beginning.  Armadillo, Bluejay, Brick, Cheshire Cat, Dragonfly, Green Dragon, Howler, Icicle, Mechanon, Ogre, Pulsar, Shrinker and VIPER are in the campaign book for the Champions boxed set.  Doctor Destroyer was the villain in the first published adventure The Island Of Doctor Destroyer. Foxbat first appeared in Enemies II and later had his own column in Adventurers' Club, the official HERO PnP magazine.  I would say this qualifies them for iconic status, at least as far as the Champions RPG is concerned.

No disrespect intended, but to me this only qualifies them as "old." ;)  Most of the above, while having been around for a long time, are not otherwise particularly outstanding. They have few unique qualities, are not and never have been of exceptional stature in any version of the official setting, and have had little impact on events in the CU's backstory. Obviously Dr. D, Mech and VIPER are exceptions, and I would call all three Champions icons. Foxbat is probably the most original villain in the whole Champions stable, not to mention very popular with the fan base.

The order below isn't all that important.

10. Dragonfly. Rampaging monster villain, that could potentially be cured.

9. Pulsar. Classic example of an origin related villain, and Evil Counterpart.

8. Green Dragon. Classic martial artist villain (and Evil Counterpart for heroic MAs), and hook into "Dr Lirby Koo"'s organisation.

7. Howler. Classic alien related origin, and thus potential hook for plotlines based on this. For some reason I've always had a vague desire to punch her.

6. Icicle. Young villain who could possibly reform. Potential family connection to hero. (By 3rd edition, she had the same family name as Crusader.)

5. Grond. Who doesn't love a Hulk parody?

4. Shamrock. Villain who fought for an arguably noble cause.

3. Shrinker. Crazy ex-partner! Best used as a heroine who turns villain during the game.

2. Foxbat. I've never used him in a game though.

1. Mechanon. Megavillain.

The great strength of the early villains is that they indicated general roles that GMs could use in their own games. Want a teenage mutant runaway, but don't want to use Icicle? Fine. Use her as a model, if you like.

I could have included a couple of other early characters on similar grounds. (Ogre - dumb brick and possible Mechanon lackey, Armadillo - mercenary thug, who could be replaced - or replicated!, Brick - mysterious figure possibly connected to Dr Lirby Koo...)

EDIT: Of course, it would take a bit of clever GMing to sucker your PCs into creating, or to help in creating, Mechanon. Which suggests that that would be a very good thing to try to do.

This is characteristic of most superhero universes that are created from the ground up.  If you remember the Milestone universe they had Icon (Superman), Static (Spider-Man but with electrical powers), Hardware (Batman but more tech-oriented) and the Blood Syndicate (X-Men, Teen Titans, etc.).  In Kurt Busiek's Astro City you have Samaritan (Post-Crisis John Byrne Superman) Supersonic (Silver Age Superman) Leopardman and Kitkat (Silver Age Batman and Robin) the Confessor and Altar Boy (O'Neill/Adams Batman and Robin) the First Family (Fantastic Four), Winged Victory (Wonder Woman), the Hanged Man (the Spectre) and many more.   

I recall Steve Long saying something to the effect that players like to pit their characters against villains similiar to what can be found in the comics, which is why he introduced the Black Harlequin in the 5th Edition Conquerors, Killers & Crooks. (Three guesses as to who inspired that villain, and the first two don't count.)  Mechanon, on the other hand, if you keep his original concept in mind (he was meant to be a guard for a superhero team's base, but Something Went Wrong), then he can be seen as not so much a case of "swiping from the comics" as "the Gamemaster messing with his players again"--

:straight: : "Okay, we want to build a superpowered AI robot to guard our base for us while we're away.  Can we do that?"

:eg: : "Suurrrre you can!  Go right ahead!  It'll be FUN!  BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

:angst:  :shock:  :no:  :idjit:  :cry:

:nonp: : "I don't mind the laughter--but does he have to shine the flashlight in his face like that?"

:winkgrin:

That is Ultron's original purpose. That's what Hank Pym was designing him for. :) Unfortunately, it didn't go the way Hank Planned.

No. That was a different robot.

Ultron first appeared in the 60s. His origin was filled in a few issues later.

The bit where he was about to be kicked out was in the early 80s. He built a different robot then. And, apparently, he did end up getting kicked out for his troubles.

All of the Online villains are only iconic to me because of their PnP incarnations. I don't feel that the online game added any great new innovations.

That being said my favourite Champions villains are:

Mechanon. Every game needs an insane robot that is attempting to destroy all life.

Leech. I like him, he's just creepy.

Lady Blue. Because a Robin Hood to make the heroes question their own motives is a good thing.

Invictus. As I've said in other threads about villains, I like his style.

Telios. It's nice to have a mega-villain whose goal is not to destroy the world. He just wants to play with it.

Firewing. Interplanetary gladiator. 'Nuff said.

Bulldozer. The heroes all need a chance to feel superior.

Dark Seraph. For the evulz.

Warlord. Again a mega-villain who doesn't want to destroy the world; just sell it weapons.

Mordace. He crazy.

All of the Online villains are only iconic to me because of their PnP incarnations. I don't feel that the online game added any great new innovations.

The "new" villains from CO I found most intriguing are Kigatilik and Cyberlord, and both are inspired by the concepts of veteran PnP author Scott Bennie. Kigatilik because a mega-demon of winter night is IMHO inherently cool, and his visual style is really nice; Cyberlord because unlike past incarnations of the Champs Uni, the current one has lacked a master cyberneticist/bionicist until him.

By Cyberlord...do you mean Cybermind? Or is this an entirely new character?

Cyberlord was originally briefly mentioned in Scott Bennie's Champions Of The North as the origin of a NPC bionic hero, Justiciar. Cryptic Studios expanded on that reference in their "comic series" adventure arc, "Whiteout," making him a powerful cyborg with robotic troops and high-tech vehicles. Here's a very brief history of the character: http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Cyberlord

Here are a few illustrative images:

http://jolstatic.fr/www/captures/744/3/45343.jpg

http://jolstatic.fr/www/captures/744/1/45341.jpg

http://www.mondespersistants.com/images/screenshots/Champions_Online-46925.jpg

10. Foxbat. Iconic, but hard to use.

9. Bulldozer. Easy to use, but designed to fold like a wet dollar bill in a G-string. (And at times like that, Bulldozer regrets the passing of the 25 cent bill. Mainly because he privately worries that the strippers don't turn him on the same way as thinking about his last fight with Brawler.) 

8. Black Paladin. This is a superhero RPG. Has there ever been a campaign where someone didn't bring, or was tempted to bring, their favourte D&D character?

7. Teleios. Creepy creepy creepy creepy. But inevitable.

6. Istvhan V'han. A classic pulp villain of the best kind. 

5. The Edomite. Oh, sure, he's disturbing. His fate in the online game reminds me of the time that TORG did an adenture about the "High Lord of Earth," the conceit being that the Earth dimension might be getting a High Lord of its own. At the time, the idea was that players could send in the results of their game to create "probabilistic outcomes," and influence the direction of the setting. Apparently, everyone wrote in to say that the would-be High Lord of Earth was p0wned like a little girl when they played it. I think that reflects the fact that he touched a nerve. Well, so does the Luther Black of Demons: Servants of Darkness (and Scott's Necrull). In a comic, where the good guys win by narrative fiat, he'd be a favourite.

4. Deathstroke the Terminator. Mechassassin. His ray gun has an "extra crispy" setting!

3. Utility. He's better than the supers, with their accomplishments and stuff, ,because he's smarter. I can totally relate. I'd be Utility, if I ever got out of this attic. Now let me pause this list a moment while I lick Cheeto dust off my fingers.

2. Takofanes. Because he's awesome, that's why. So shut up! I'm not listening, I'm not listening....Nope, not defensive about this choice at all.

1.  Doctor Destroyer. Oh, sure, he started out generic, but Steve Long put a master's touch on him. The most powerful, terrible villain in the CU (leaving Tyrannon the tree dude out of it) is ..a neurotic, narcissistic horse's rear end. Prone to depression, paranoiac reactions, and every other obnoxiousness that of which everyone who has lived long enough to meet a narcissist has regretful memories, he's a note perfect creation. Why hasn't the Doctor changed the world with his technology? Why doesn't he rule it with his genius? Just as well ask yourself why that annoying talk-about-himself/herself person at work never gets anything done, when it would make his/her life so much easier to just shut up for a moment and do it. Ultimately, he's just trolling us (but especially Thundrax, at least now that Vanguard's dead) for reasons that he dares not explain even to himself. (Therapy spoiler: suicidal ideation.) 

2. Takofanes. Because he's awesome, that's why. So shut up! I'm not listening, I'm not listening....Nope, not defensive about this choice at all.

While I'm not the biggest Takofanes fan, I do believe every comic-book setting should have room for at least one villain who's just pure power and pure evil, and who simply wants to rule the world because he believes it's his right.

Timemaster, all the way from Adventurer's Club, but with a little less crazy-wearing-pants-on-his-head. He's from a fractured dystopian future... and he's come back to the Age of Superhumans to fix things.

I'm sure you can see this set-up has massive ****-up written all over it, but that's why I'm nominating him. He's a warning: do not mess about with time travel, kids!