New Product: The Lost Castle PDF

Jason S.Walters

Hero Games is proud to present the first adventure for Fantasy Hero by Kestrel Arts: The Lost Castle! Long ago a mad king built a fantastic complex to survive in case of disaster beneath his castle. Eventually the king's madness caused the once-rich kingdom to falter and in time it simply faded away, yet another of the lost human kingdoms long ago when the elves ruled. When adventurers stumble upon the ruins, there's much more than meets the eye.

The Lost Castle is a Fantasy Hero adventure for 4-8 characters no more than 1000 points total, combined.

lostcastle.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yes it matters, I purchased it as a Hero product so my expectation is Hero standards.

If I wanted a generic product I could have gotten any of 1000 already made dungeons and dragons derivatives.

The Hero Hex Man still appears on sixth edition and while the choose to pretend it does not matter page 145 Champion Complete still has the 6 facing sides. The hex is just superior mathematically when measuring.

But it is inferior to anyone wanting to re-draw the bloody thing on a play mat.

If it bothers you that much, get a petition together and ask the company for a PDF with the maps in Hexes or even an offset grid (the bastard-child of the Hex and Square grid).

https://www.google.com/search?q=offset+grid&safe=active&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CtqTU5flN9S3yASuhIHYCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1301&bih=568

• 2 weeks later...

In our games we have a hex mat for close up action and movement, and use measurements for range and long distance action, so its kind of a blend of techniques.  In the pdf I suppose it wouldn't matter if I had both hex and grid maps, but I think people might be confused or annoyed that there's two sets of maps for little reason.  I don't know if Hero would carry two versions of the book or not.

We've pretty much eliminated grid play at our table. I use custom made dungeon tiles using DM Scotty's 2.5-D method which have no grid or hexes (we use lengths of string to measure how far we can move).

For those of you who have no clue what I'm talking about, check out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/theDMsCraft?feature=watch

I've found it more interesting when players cannot easily count distances, so they have to estimate.  That said you can usually tell off the top of your head if you can reach someone and guesstimate range at least in terms of how likely you are to hit without needing a rangefinder, so there's arguments for both sides.

• 3 weeks later...

A big thank you to everyone who's bought a copy of the Lost Castle, I hope it gives you plenty of gun in games over the years.  I have quite a few more long and short-form adventures in the works, from a mystery in a mages tower in town to a long journey through the mountains to a lost hidden elven kingdom!

• 1 month later...