Random adventure names

Cancer

We're going to be starting a new fantasy campaign, but the GM is still taking suggestions for theme, mood, etc., for the game-world. So I fired up my old random room naming code, altered a couple of the input files, and squirted out a number of randomly-assembled adventure/campaign names. Picking out the ones that sounded coolest ...

The Cerulean Horde of Failure

The Emerald Crusade of Binding

The Golden Sun of Maledictions

The Carmine Victory of Slavery

The Malachite Conquest of the Flayed Victim

The Ashen Whispers of the Old Gods

The Eternal Golden Wars

The Mauve Defilement of Forever

The Vermilion Destruction of Broken Dreams

The Azure Shades of Defilement

The Silver Apostasy of Imps

The Ivory Cowards of Ancient Horror

The Black Shadows of the Unknowable

The Indigo Cenotaph of Ruin

The Celadon Twilight of Screams

The Charcoal Tombs of Ruin

The Silver Abominations of Pain

The Cobalt Secrets of Malediction

Going strictly on the name, which of these seems most intriguing? All I have is the names at the moment....

• 2 weeks later...

As it happens, we are adopting, almost by default, a throw-away piece of prose I wrote a week or so after my post that launched this thread, while I was in a despairing mood (while grading labs).

The Great Empire, that ruled most of the supercontinent for 1200 years, is disintegrating. There is still an Imperial Court, but it's degenerated into a venial bauble that is swiped from petty king to petty king, each of whom buys an Imperial Edict to do whatever barbaric, aggrandizing, malicious move they want. Most of the Provinces are at war with each other. A few are waging genocidal wars against neighbors beyond the Imperial Bans while they still have enough force to have (they think) a chance for success. Rich cities are betrayed and sacked; virtuous families are sacrificed on bloody altars for profane power; "robber" and "baron" have become syntactically equivalent; law has become what is most convenient at the moment for the richest few. The Dark Age yawns open before the world, ready to consume everything good and return only uncountable years of hatred, misery, bloodletting, and woe.

Unless...

(I have no idea what follows; I just had to get that off the surface layer of my mind. Grading labs does that to you.)

Yeah, but the Maguffin involved ... I ran out of backpressure forcing words onto keyboard before I had an idea for that.

Actually, for a game like this, I wouldn't necessarily use a Mcguffin. If the players were up for it, I'd encourage them to take direct action. First maybe resisting a corrupt local lord, then fighting to retain their newly won freedom from his allies and overlord, and just build from there to a point where either they lead armies to try to put the old empire together, or they try to build a successor kingdom that can stand against the coming slide into barbarism.

If the players are not up for it, give them a sympathetic NPC: they can be Merlin and the round table to his Arthur. A game like that would have fewer dungeons, but more battles, assassinations and intrigue. It's quite doable - I ran a game that incorporated some these elements that was rather successful. The PCs started as low-level feudal retainers and ended as warlords leading hundreds of soldiers into battle - while at the same time trying to derail a conspiracy that threatened to tip their whole region into a new dark age. The game ran for more than 100 sessions over several years and the PCs went from 100 points to nearly 300 IIRC.

Cheers, Mark

Going strictly on the name, which of these seems most intriguing? All I have is the names at the moment....

My favorites are:

The Vermilion Destruction of Broken Dreams

The Silver Apostasy of Imps

The Indigo Cenotaph of Ruin

The Silver Abominations of Pain

It's also fun to put "Harry Potter and" in front of each adventure name.  ;)

Actually, for a game like this, I wouldn't necessarily use a Mcguffin. If the players were up for it, I'd encourage them to take direct action. First maybe resisting a corrupt local lord, then fighting to retain their newly won freedom from his allies and overlord, and just build from there to a point where either they lead armies to try to put the old empire together, or they try to build a successor kingdom that can stand against the coming slide into barbarism.

If the players are not up for it, give them a sympathetic NPC: they can be Merlin and the round table to his Arthur. A game like that would have fewer dungeons, but more battles, assassinations and intrigue. It's quite doable - I ran a game that incorporated some these elements that was rather successful. The PCs started as low-level feudal retainers and ended as warlords leading hundreds of soldiers into battle - while at the same time trying to derail a conspiracy that threatened to tip their whole region into a new dark age. The game ran for more than 100 sessions over several years and the PCs went from 100 points to nearly 300 IIRC.

Cheers, Mark

Well, here's the thing. I'm a player, not the GM, of the campaign. Now, the GM is clearly making stuff up big-time, and continues to solicit input, but I'm not running the game. Frankly, the character I have (described as "Mendicant Healing Friar of the Trickster God") would be up for the successor kingdom idea in particular with the staving-off-barbarism concept, with someone else as king (and preferably someone who doesn't need deflating too often).

Well, here's the thing. I'm a player, not the GM, of the campaign. Now, the GM is clearly making stuff up big-time, and continues to solicit input, but I'm not running the game. Frankly, the character I have (described as "Mendicant Healing Friar of the Trickster God") would be up for the successor kingdom idea in particular with the staving-off-barbarism concept, with someone else as king (and preferably someone who doesn't need deflating too often).

Ah! OK, cool. I'd play in a game like that :)

cheers, Mark