Hero specs on a Chain Saw?

Glupii

I am running my PA Fallout based game and I have a question. (Apologies ahead of time if it is simple, I am still relatively new to the system)

I need stats on a chainsaw. Does anyone know where one of these has been discussed or written up?

It's just an HKA through a focus, really. Amount depends on how deadly you want it to be.

I suppose the most obvious advantage is Continuous.

Maybe you could apply 'bulky' or 'STR min' to it. And I suppose 'real weapon' (they stop functioning pretty easily).

whoa, that is a serious (sort of) discussion but it all centers around a fantastic and unrealistic rocket powered chainsaw drone sort of thing. I am looking for stats (if anyone has ever done them) on a typical run of the mill, 18" Chainsaw one might use when doing lawn work, chasing coeds through a dark abandoned camp while wearing a hideous mask, or fighting off a horde of the undead in the inevitable zombie Apocalypse to come. Has anyone seen on done up or should I just wing it? I am thinking 2 1/2 d6 HKA to start with? What modifiers can anyone think of that it should have? Is that enough damage in comparison to a shotgun?

Weird.

I checked the Equipment Guide, Horror Hero, Post Apocalyptic Hero, Pulp Hero, Golden Age of Champions, Cyber Hero, Dark Champions, all of the DC villain books...not a chainsaw to be found.

You would think that Horror Hero would have been the perfect place.

Sorry, Joe, but I could not disagree with you more. Let me hit you with a club then a running chainsaw and see if you still think that feels the same? Besides, I have pool sticks, baseball bats, lead pipes, and the occasional parking meter or rebar with cement on the end. I have plenty of clubs and maces. I want something a little different. I just have a hard time believing I am the first person, in the history of Hero, to ask for this? (Well a non flying, rocket powered, autonomous drone type one anyway)

I am thinking 2 or 3d6, AF3, reduced penetration to start with. High strength min (around 16 or 18 I think) since using it in combat would require this. And since I am using it in my Fallout game world I will use Flamer Fuel for simplicity sake and give it so many attacks (charges) on a tank of gas. Either that or it is one that has been adapted to use one of the energy weapon power cells. Not sure yet. Any thoughts on what else I can use to more fully fit this out?

In a post-apocalyptic game, a chainsaw is an awkward club. :D

Sorry, Joe, but I could not disagree with you more. Let me hit you with a club then a running chainsaw and see if you still think that feels the same?

I think what Joe was saying is that chainsaws are useless without a reliable fuel source. And if you do have access to gasoline in limited quantities you probably have more important things to do with it than run a chainsaw.

Now in the early stages of a zombie infestation there's plenty of gas. Ten years after The Bomb Drops? Gas is a lot harder to find.

One thing that I wonder about is this -- a chainsaw is designed as a tool, not a weapon. It is designed to efficiently cut through things that do not object to getting cut through. Oh a tree might well prefer to remain upright and planted,but it can't do anything about you using a chainsaw on it. A person (or zombie or monster) is another story entirely. He can probably just get out of the way as you try to make and keep contact with him. Chainsaws are horribly imbalanced for fighting. It's hard to hit someone with one who doesn't want to be hit (and who does want to be hit with a chainsaw?).

The main advantage might be a PRE bonus -- chainsaw-wielding madmen are undeniably intimidating!

Thanks for the comments folks.

OK For the record, I get the joke now. Sorry I was dense and missed it. I know what Joe was saying. Also fuel for it is not an issue in the fallout world so I am not making it an issue in mine. Either it will run on flamer fuel (which is essentially a form of gasoline, ignore that fact that it likely has thickening agents in it that would make it unusable for gasoline engines, there is a fair amount of suspension of belief in order to play fallout type game to begin with) or it will run on one of the compact nuclear type sources that that are used for energy weapons. The bottom line is, please do not try and give me reasons why it is not practical. I am not looking for practical. I am looking to duplicate the Fallout game world and play a fun game with it. 

And as for how good a weapon it would be...if it is or isn't does not matter. I don't care what it is designed for, if I am a crazed, drugged out gang member in a post apocalyptic setting, and i have the ability to ditch my lead pipe for a running chain saw, I am going to do it. And if I saw that same crazed gang member coming at me with a running chain saw, I am NOT going to want to be hit with that thing. And I will try and take him out before I shoot at the pool stick wielding ganger next to him.

Now that all being said, my emphasis here is not trying to justify the use of a chain saw, but rather the stats on one. I do like the suggestion about a presence bonus, but not as the main advantage, rather as an adder.

I'd say a chainsaw would be somewhere around 1½ - 2d6+1 HKA, with a STR Min around 13 to 15, and a 20 minutes Fuel Charge. No Continuous Advantage, though.

I'm not sure an HKA would be appropriate, since its damage wouldn't be affected by the strength of the wielder.

good point on the OCV penalty. I was thinking I needed to accommodate that somehow but had not put anything into it.  As for fuel, I am thinking I am not going to worry about the fuel to keep it running, but more so how often can you rev it up to max speed to make an attack. I am going to give it charges that would reflect this and given the Fallout Environment this is meant for, I am going to use Flamer Fuel. So what I have so far is:

2 1/2 d6 HKA

Strength Min = 15 (Str does not add to damage)

-1 OCV

Charges 24

What about making it Semi-Armor Piercing given that it is designed to cut though tough materials but also making it require a full phase attack action to represent that the damage happens by holding it to the object (body part) to be cut in order to get the damage? Thoughts?

I would go with the hka - str doesn't add to damage. That guitar onnwas made for this. And I would also assign a -1 OCV to it. They are unwieldy - as compared to an axe- whichnis designed to be swung around.

How about, instead of a straight OCV penalty, they require WF: Chainsaw? Or, by analogy to the, "Bulky Focus" penalty (1/2 DCV), there's an, "Awkward Focus" (1/2 OCV)?

Indiana Joe, there are spears by their nature that have a -1 OCV and still require a weapon familarity.  (though I get what you're asking).

Glupii I forgot to say continuous is also a good idea. Perhaps penetrating advantage? That way you are doing alittle damage to even armored guys.  Though if youwent this route, I would lower the DC.