HERO System Stress Test: Homo Sapien versus Musca Domestica

Ragitsu

I don't think it does, it just has an insanely high Tactics roll and Danger Sense.  

It is strange, because a fly can be nailed relatively easily with a fly swatter or similar wide object (such as a towel). Should an attack be launched from it's rear (hex?), that too is likely to succeed. Because of this, I assume the creature's Danger Sense comes with a huge caveat/Achilles heel.

It occurs to me, it might works better the other way around.

Consider the fly as default size, with the human as having 9 levels of growth.

With its inches of flight not limited to <1"/segment, the fly's flight, combat pilot and acrobatics can come into play.

It's probably not Danger Sense but increased arc of vision due to the compound eyes. It can't see behind itself, so maybe 240 degrees?

A fly might also have a higher SPD than a person, maybe a 4 compared to the average 2. This gives it more opportunities to abort to dodge or maybe dive for cover. It's flight speed limits how far it can dive for cover, so a swatter can nail it.

It's probably not Danger Sense but increased arc of vision due to the compound eyes. It can't see behind itself, so maybe 240 degrees?

A fly might also have a higher SPD than a person, maybe a 4 compared to the average 2. This gives it more opportunities to abort to dodge or maybe dive for cover. It's flight speed limits how far it can dive for cover, so a swatter can nail it.

Yep. SPD 4, so that it always always has a saved phase.

It'll have a +18 DCV for size alone. (1cm = 9 levels shrinking)

I'm not sure its DCV is actually that high.  I wouldn't put my own OCV at more than 4 or 5, and I've taken out flies with my bare hands.  

On the other hand, at fly scale my hand is the equivalent to about Area Of Effect: 4m radius.  

Methinks we need some better scaling rules.  

Fly's do have the very high DCV, but when we attack them, we try to catch them off guard for half DCV or all out attack. And lets face it sometimes we roll a 3. Our AOE accurate fly swatter, also helps a lot as is what ever other accurate improvised tool we use will do.

Try and catch a fly after missing and it becomes very hard, you may have to 'attack' several time to get that lucky roll even while you are 100% focused on it doing your all out attacks.

Unfortunately Hero lacks the expected all out attack for pluses to OCV in exchange for penalties to DCV, instead opting for a Haymaker as a all out attack imitation. But I imagine in real life w have a All-out attack +3 OCV for 1/2 DCV option and the Patriarchs of Hero simply forgot to include it in the rules.

Unfortunately Hero lacks the expected all out attack for pluses to OCV in exchange for penalties to DCV, instead opting for a Haymaker as a all out attack imitation. But I imagine in real life w have a All-out attack +3 OCV for 1/2 DCV option and the Patriarchs of Hero simply forgot to include it in the rules.

Heh. That made me think of something unrelated. Ever want to see a real life demonstration of combat with all levels on DCV? Watch someone trying to kill a bee.

Fly's do have the very high DCV, but when we attack them, we try to catch them off guard for half DCV or all out attack. And lets face it sometimes we roll a 3. Our AOE accurate fly swatter, also helps a lot as is what ever other accurate improvised tool we use will do.

Try and catch a fly after missing and it becomes very hard, you may have to 'attack' several time to get that lucky roll even while you are 100% focused on it doing your all out attacks.

You can Set for a OCV Bonus and reduced DCV and call it an "All out Attack" as one option?

I'm not sure its DCV is actually that high.  I wouldn't put my own OCV at more than 4 or 5, and I've taken out flies with my bare hands.  

On the other hand, at fly scale my hand is the equivalent to about Area Of Effect: 4m radius.  

Methinks we need some better scaling rules.  

I  have always had a fondness for the way Robot Warriors did scaling.

Is there a official rule for that? Because it makes a good bit of sense "realistically".

Check under Growth in 6E1. As compared to Normal sized character, a Huge character's hands and feet can count as AoE Attacks. That's three Size Categories -- how many categories are there between an adult human and a housefly? Six?

And I just checked -- in the Insectile Size Category description, the Complication states that normal-sized hands and feet counts as AoE.

Check under Growth in 6E1. As compared to Normal sized character, a Huge character's hands and feet can count as AoE Attacks. That's three Size Categories -- how many categories are there between an adult human and a housefly? Six?

This applies in 5E as well. It might go all the way back to III (anyone remember III?).

This applies in 5E as well. It might go all the way back to III (anyone remember III?).

I understood it was GM's option in 5E? I recall several Growth based characters got AE for their Strength linked to their Growth.

The effects of Growth and Shrinking on combat are kind of a weird area in some ways differing between how it works out mechanically and how they tend to be depicted in various media.