[6e] Best introductory books?

I've got HERO Basic, and will be getting Champions complete soon. Anyhow, I wan to introduce my friends to HERO, but none of them have played anything similar except for one guy with a bad experience. I'm afraid to overwhelm them, so I think, at least the first time out, using pre-tabbed stuff might help for powers and the like.

What are the quintessential HERO/Champions books for beginners/new players? I'm going to start them off with Basic, and after maybe a campaign see if they can handle full-on HERO/Champs. One, two books at most. PDF please.

Mods - if this is in the wrong or less than ideal forum, could you move it? Sorry >_<

I personally would suggest that you pick up Monster Hunter International (a licensed Urban Fantasy Hero System book based on a series of novels by Larry Correia) and run it 'out of the box' for your players. It is not cheap (though just the PDF could work), but it has pre-built:

a ) Setting w organizations, a base, maps, races, etc.

b )Multiple Magic Systems

c ) Equipment lists (and Guns, lots of guns!)

d ) Monsters

I think it would be the easiest way to get a group up and running in Hero System, and very nicely illustrates the flexibility of the system for building whatever you want from whole worlds and ecologies to custom weapons (GUNS!).

Just that one product (with the corebooks or Champions Complete or just asking for help here on the forums to explain some of the skills, maneuvers, and powers that are mentioned but not actually described in MHI) should be enough to give a gaming group a good "feel" for all the potential of Hero System, and then you pick up Hero Designer to do the math while you tap that potential! That's how I'd do it.   :yes:

I just noticed that I flubbed writing out what I was planning: I'd like to do a super-hero game. While I am running Marvel Heroic for them right now (a fun/silly "Tailspin meets military comedy/adventure"), its character generation is too free form for my likings.

I've got an older HERO maker, but i don't run it anymore since I got rid of Java from my computer. Its yeeears old at this point. I also don't want to handle their accounting/book-keeping, a mistake I made with Hero Lab and Pathfinder.

Thanks for th feedback so far! :D

Edit: And I don't plan to bring mu laptop to the game. I just got a Microsoft Surface RT, and love it. No Java on there, but that's a feature for me, not a bug. I half wonder if HERO Games should try to make their own version of DDI...? I always heard that was *amazing*

Edited by Samuel Takara

Champions Complete and the PDF of Champions. The latter has a section of, "archetypes" which are mostly pre-built characters. Champions Powers might be useful if you want more pre-built options.

What does the Champions book offer? Is it just a setting book? I would be interested in pre-fan powers, though!

What does the Champions book offer? Is it just a setting book? I would be interested in pre-fan powers, though!

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/69196/champions-the-super-roleplaying-game

This is the superhero genre book co-written by the late Aaron Allston (most famous for the out of print Strikeforce).

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/75798/champions-universe

This is the published superhero setting*.

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/70888/champions-powers

This is the book of prebuilt superpowers.

*The IP for this is what was sold to Cryptic when Marvel pulled out of their partnership for what ended up as Champions Online.  Cryptic needed a setting to match up with what they had already built.  It didn't hurt that several characters in the Champions Universe have Marvel equivalents (Dr. Destroyer/Dr. Doom, Grond/Hulk, Defender/Iron Man, etc...) so they didn't have to change as much as they would have if they had started from scratch.

It's an expanded genre book. It's not the official setting (that's Champions Universe), but it does have more information on the superhero genre. The most useful part for novice gamers is the, "superhero gallery." It's a description of 20 superhero archetypes and pre-made templates that make building a character as easy as ordering food from a menu. 

If you want power builds look at the UNTIL Superpowers Database.

Or since this thread is specifically about 6E, Champions Powers, which has pretty much everything from both UNTIL Superpowers Database 1 and 2 plus some and is in the edition he is asking about...