Can You Run Defiance using Star Heroes ?

Basic204

Yeah, I would recommend Post Apocalpse Hero (5e) to help with the dangers. Star Hero and the Hero System Equipment Guide can help write up all of the Equipment, Races, etc. Defiance Earth is a VERY unfriendly place. I would have PC's that are VERY competent (ie 200pts in 6e). Making sure they have a Runner and good equipment will also make a difference. Both San Francisco to Marin county is fairly detailed in the MMO (though not always accurate). We got a glimpse of Los Angeles in EP I Season II. St Louis(AKA Defiance) is also somewhat detailed and in more interesting ways than the game (ie the Underground ruins of St Louis is very cool)

The problem isn't whether or not you can run Defiance using Hero, the question is how much work are you willing to invest to build it. Hero can easily accommodate the Defiance setting. It isn't a particularly tricky setting. The problem is that none of the aliens are written up, no monsters, no nothing really. You, as the GM, have to do all the work. Now some folk like that kind of conversion work. If you are one of them, then a whole world is open for you to create. We've seen Star Trek and Star Wars conversions in the past. Why not a Defiance one?

If you decide to embark on this journey, I wish you luck. It will sometimes be a difficult one but the end result will probably be worth all of the proverbial blood, sweat and tears.

The problem isn't whether or not you can run Defiance using Hero, the question is how much work are you willing to invest to build it. Hero can easily accommodate the Defiance setting. It isn't a particularly tricky setting. The problem is that none of the aliens are written up, no monsters, no nothing really. You, as the GM, have to do all the work. Now some folk like that kind of conversion work. If you are one of them, then a whole world is open for you to create. We've seen Star Trek and Star Wars conversions in the past. Why not a Defiance one?

If you decide to embark on this journey, I wish you luck. It will sometimes be a difficult one but the end result will probably be worth all of the proverbial blood, sweat and tears.

Perhaps, but you could use resources like the HS Bestiary and the 5e Star Hero Campaign books to give a foundation to build the conversion on.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. That looks like an interesting setting to say the least. Since I haven't been stateside in a long time I never knew the show existed until now. 

Anyway, it does look like a fairly standard Post Apoc setting from the previews I've seen. Just take out the post-war mutants and monsters and put in "various aliens" in their place. 

The PAHero book would be useful probably. Various equipment guides could probably help you get some of the brute work done. I don't know what point values would be good but that is more largely based on the role you want your PCs to play and the point values of the surrounding hazards. Also, is this going to be a game based in the city of Defiance or are you going to back it up to pre-peace times or maybe have the PCs be outsiders who use the city as a stop on their way more than a home. Depending on which you choose the tone of the game could change quite a bit (intrigue vs survival / combat).

Anyway, good luck!