Partially Constant AOE Blast

Hearteater

I've got a power that I'd like to see if I'm on the right track. I think the basic part of the power is correct, but I'm unsure on a few details concerning the AOE portion.

Power Concept: Engulfs the target in a column of flame. The target continues to burn as long as END is expended. The flames surrounding the target burn anything they come in contact with.

Living Conflagration: Blast (6d6 Fire vs ED), AOE Radius: 1m, Accurate (+½), Constant: only 3d6 (+½), Range: 300m

Base Points: 30 (6 x 5)

Active Points: 52 (15 x 1.5 + 15 x 2)

Real Points: 52

END Cost: 5 initial, 3 to maintain

I considered using Jointly Linked for the Constant part of the Blast instead, but it seemed like cheating to get the hit roll advantage from AOE: Accurate on the initial attack, and then not only not have to pay for that in the linked Constant power, but get a limitation on top of that. I also didn't really like that the Linked power would also be part of the initial hit (and defenses would apply twice).

So I think the above is all correct, but to represent the target being a danger to anyone touching them I'm hoping the AOE: 1m will cover this, allowing the 3d6 damage to be applied to anyone contacting them. If so, would it differ from a damage shield besides the fact that it is hurting the "surface" covered too? And do I need Mobile since the burning target is still free to move? The player doesn't have control over the movement, and breaking line of sight ends Constant powers, so it doesn't really seem to warrant any increase in points. If it matters, this power is a fixed slot in a multipower, so maintaining the damage locks out the entire multipower.

Have you looked at the Sticky Advantage?

I had not, but it appears to not quite do what I was hoping for. I don't really want anyone touching the original target to suffer continuous burning if the two separate, just instant damage at the moment of contact and every phase contact continues. That did make me wonder though, if you use Sticky on a Constant power that costs END each phase, does the user need to pay END for each person it spreads to every phase?

Accurate on the AOE is going to limit the effect to only the single target, and won't automatically include other targets. You'd either need Sticky (and Uncontrolled) or a linked effect that has AOE: Surface on the target*. And you'll need Mobile with the suitable amount of movement if you want the effect to follow the target around.

*Uses the target's DCV, not DCV 3. It would probably be better to define the power in this way:

To damage target: Blast (6d6 Fire vs ED), Constant (only for 3d6, +1/2), 37 Active Points (15 +22), 37 Real Points

Plus

To damage characters touching target: Blast (3d6 Fire vs ED), Constant (+1/2), AOE: Surface (+1/4), Linked (-1/4), 26 Active Points, 21 Real Points

Total Active Cost: 63 Total Real Cost: 58

END Cost: 6 (initial), then 5 per additional phase.

We define the appearance as a "Pillar of Fire", and you wouldn't need Mobile in this case, as the only AOE is tied to the surface of the character.

Edit: Added clarification about Active/Real point cost

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ternaugh. It seems odd that I'd have to pay points to give an enemy a damage shield. I was wondering if the damage shield could be generated by a side effect instead? CC only lists examples for side effects applying to the recipient when the power is beneficial. Since it is in a multipower, the actual limitation value doesn't really matter because it would only save about 2 points. But compare that to spending 21 points to give your enemies a damage shield.

The job of AoE is to make hitting a high DCV target easier. As well as affecting multiple targets.

The cost of AoE is that you deal less damage/Active Point. Thus you have fewer dice and are a lot less effective agaisnt high Defense Targets.

What is this power supposed to do?

Single Target?

Multi Target?

Area Denial?

Single Target vs. high DCV target?

What is the role of this power in combat, that cannot be fullfilled by a plain blast?

Thanks Ternaugh. It seems odd that I'd have to pay points to give an enemy a damage shield. I was wondering if the damage shield could be generated by a side effect instead? CC only lists examples for side effects applying to the recipient when the power is beneficial. Since it is in a multipower, the actual limitation value doesn't really matter because it would only save about 2 points. But compare that to spending 21 points to give your enemies a damage shield.

You have to pay points because in effect you're using a power to give them a defense.

Side Effects is a Limitation that specifically inconveniences/damages the character using the power or receiving the benefit. It's not really appropriate here, as the caster does not generally suffer from the ill effects of the attack, and so it's not really a Limitation.

Side Effects could be built in to the spell as feedback damage, for example. Maybe the caster takes cold damage as the heat energy is drawn out of his body to shape the pillar of fire.