Disad or just SFX?

Delthrien

I'm creating a shape shifting character (mostly imitates the appearance of others).

As a character "bit" I'm setting it up so that each time the character changes shape, she leaves behind a feather. Would this be worthy of a disad?

It has no immediate repercussions, but it does leave evidence that she was there and could (in theory) be enough to make it easier to track the character down (with the right equipment or powers -- e.g., location spells... or ultra tech DNA scanners... or bird dogs. :) ).

Thoughts?

I have allowed the disadvantage called signature for a 1/4 before, but had the limitation that the character was unable to remove it. I could see adapting this a little for this effect out perhaps a 5 point Distinctive appearance.

Kind of like the signature limitation in GURPS.

It will make taking her easy and identifying her handy work easier.

Would this be worthy of a disad?

To clarify: do you mean a Disad/Complication for the character? Or a Limitation on the Power? It would seem to make more sense to me as a Lim on the Power itself, since it only occurs when the power is used; it's sortof a very minor Side Effect, or you could argue it's a variation on Perceivable.

I could see it as a Disad/Comp: Distinctive Features only if it's the character's primary abilities and is going to be used nearly all the time. Even then, I probably wouldn't give it more than Easily Concealable.

Usual caveat: assuming the player & GM are in agreement that the feathers will come up now and then. If the player plans to always pick up the feathers behind herself, or is going to get annoyed when the feathers give her away or when her enemies use them to track her down, then no points.

To clarify: do you mean a Disad/Complication for the character? Or a Limitation on the Power? It would seem to make more sense to me as a Lim on the Power itself, since it only occurs when the power is used; it's sortof a very minor Side Effect, or you could argue it's a variation on Perceivable.

I could see it as a Disad/Comp: Distinctive Features only if it's the character's primary abilities and is going to be used nearly all the time. Even then, I probably wouldn't give it more than Easily Concealable.

Usual caveat: assuming the player & GM are in agreement that the feathers will come up now and then. If the player plans to always pick up the feathers behind herself, or is going to get annoyed when the feathers give her away or when her enemies use them to track her down, then no points.

It's mostly a question of "how much of a hinderance does the player want it to be"? Taking either at a value means asking the GM to bring it into play.

If it is a -1/4 Limitation or a 10 point disadvantge, it must be worth these savings/extra points.

For this one there is a high chance it might not be worth any points. Or rather cannot be made worth the points he get's for it.

I would tend towards -0. -1/4 tops.

As another example I could define "TK, Only affects Water" as either of those 2:

"Affects only Water (-1/2)". Only works on water. Can only affect characters indirectly (punch them with picked up water)

"Affects only Water (-1/4)". Also works on stuff mostly made of water. Humans are 70% water, that is "mostly" in my book. Only some foes like Robots might be immune and can't be used to stop a falling Jet or lift earth)

I could apply similar reasoning to Only Heat/Fire (300° over 0° Kelvin), Earth/Minerals (you got bones wich are minral based plus relevant parts of iron & salt) and Air/Gases (all that air in your lungs and your bloodstream) TK as well.