How interoperable are 5e and 6e?

I've got Champions Complete on order from my adopted online FLGS. My group is on 5e. I'd like to use 6e to make NPCs and will likely adopt Hero Action Points as well (they're actually like our luck houserule). Why? As an attempt to "Trojan Horse" 6e via the GMs.

Is this feasible? There's a lot to like, especially if characters are more concept orientated. I want to ease this in, then start showing more in my games.

They are interoperable to the point that if the GM didn't tell the players that the NPCs were written up in a different edition, the players would probably never know.

Aside from a few powers being defined differently, and some minor changes to the advantages, the only real mechanical changes after character creation are that KA's have a 1/2d6 stun multiple and regular defense protects against there stun. The first of which is merely a fix for the old "stun lottery." The latter of which is only a minor change from the old "1 point of resistant defense let's your normal defense work against killing stun" rule and reduces the number of special cases in the damage rules.

TL;DR: Unless they read this thread or you tell them yourself, they'll never notice. Especially if you make all of the NPC rolls from safely behind your DM screen. :D

Oh, I suppose they might get confused if you forget to convert the NPC movement powers back into hexes. Unless you've already house ruled meter based movement powers.

Just converted two NPCs to 6e, and I definitely liked it. Removing the derived nature of characteristics was actually rather nice. Less pressure to make things a certain way, and I could put some more "personality" into the characters by deciding how high/low their various CVs would be, among other things. I'm quite pleased :)

TL;DR: Unless they read this thread or you tell them yourself, they'll never notice.

We switched over to 6ed in the middle of a long-running Champions campaign. Converted the PCs to 6ed, but honestly never got around to converting most of the NPCs - not because I don't like 6ed, just busy/lazy. No one ever noticed.

Worked out nicely! I used 150 and 200 point 6e enemies. While the brick was grossly underchallenged (she's a monster), it was a good fight overall. It would've gone on for quite a while except I threw a cut scene in phase 12 to end it. 8 players vs 8 150's, 8 200's, and 16 normals (0 points).

Biggest compliment? I forced them to work/think tactically. Should've asked for elaboration, but maybe next time. The normals and 150s were all on the map at once, whereas the 200's came in a bit later from the side, usually attacking in groups of 2 or 3.

I will say that I don't like the output from Hero Designer. Not putting the bonuses for martial manuevers was a little pain.

The best thing about 6e is I could design as I wanted faster because I didn't have to try gaming the system or remembering how to raise X without affecting Y. Much more direct. I'll definitely use it in the future.

Now I am wondering how a 1,000 point enemy would work...

the power of area attacks would show through ,provided the player went on the assuption that regular blast would only do 6d6 in a 60 active game is now 10d6 for 62 pts for a small area attack

or 3d6+1 AP KA

They are interoperable to the point that if the GM didn't tell the players that the NPCs were written up in a different edition, the players would probably never know.