Issues Executing .jar Files Under Windows

Simon

It seems that there are some rather nasty updates to either Windows itself or Java running under Windows that is removing the file association for .jar files for a number of users.  It is not clear at this time why this is happening, but it is preventing people from running HD by double-clicking on the HD6.jar file (or any shortcut they've created).

I'll use this thread for troubleshooting this issue with folks -- the fix information in this post will be edited as needed to help out.

The following is the most direct way to check and/or set the file association for .jar files under Windows:

1.  Open a command prompt (Start -> Run... -> cmd)

2.  To check the file association for jar files, enter the following (please post the output of this command in this thread if you are still having problems):

ftype | find "jarfile"

3.  To reset the file association for jar files, you would enter the following, replacing the path to javaw.exe with the absolute path to the file on your system :

ftype jarfile="C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. I downloaded the zip to the hero system directory I created and extracted the files.

The HD6.jar file doesn't launch the software

I ran the command prompt as you suggest above, without any success

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Will Vallance>
C:\Users\Will Vallance>ftype | find "jarfile"

C:\Users\Will Vallance>find "jarfile"
"jarfile"
"jarfile"
find "jarfile"
find "jarfile"
ftype | find "jarfile"
ftype | find "jarfile"

ftype | find "jarfile"

That command simply looks up the association with jarfiles on your system.  It looks like it didn't return anything, which would be the problem -- your system does not have Java properly configured (a common problem under Windows of late)

You need to execute this command.  

Ok. Still not getting anywhere. I don't use command prompt very often so if I'm missing something obvious, please spell it out.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Will Vallance>ftype jarfile="C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe"
-jar "%1" %*
File type 'jarfile' not found or no open command associated with it.

1. Have you installed Java on your system?

2. Assuming yes, where is it installed? (i.e. does the file "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" actually exist?)

3. What is the output when you run the following at the command line:

java -version

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago and was banging my head on my keyboard trying to figure it out.  I eventually uninstalled Java, re-downloaded a fresh version, and installed that.  It worked fine after that.

Alternatively, I could have come here and perhaps have saved myself some hassle.  :/

• 7 months later...

I haven't made any progress with this:

C:\Users\Nick>ftype | find "jarfile"

jarfile="C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_65\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

C:\Users\Nick>java -version

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_65\bin>java -version
java version "1.8.0_65"
ava SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
ava HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)

When I try start the jar file it looks like a cmd prompt window flashes and then nothing hapens

Well, first you're going to want to get Java fully installed on your system -- it's not part of the system path settings (which is why just typing "java" at the command line gave you that error message).  Easiest way is to uninstall all copies of Java from your system and reinstall from http://www.java.com

Once you've done that, try just double-clicking on HD6.jar -- the reinstall may fix the issue you're having.

If you're still having problems, repeat the above steps to ensure that java is in your path and then enter the following from a command prompt after cd-ing to the directory that you unpacked HD into (the directory that has HD6.jar):

javaw -jar HD6.jar

If you like, sure - a batch file will essentially do the same thing as the file association.  If you want to avoid the batch file route (for whatever reason), you'll need to figure out what's wrong with the permissions on your system that are preventing the file association from firing (or causing it to error out)

I have the problem with HD6.jar not executing on my Windows 7 Professional system. I have tried the absolute path solution in this posting and have tried reinstalling Java from a clean reinstall. Java seems to install correctly, and runs under my browsers. It also, shows that the HD6.jar file is an executable jar file and asks me if I want to associate the file with java. But when I try to open the file nothing happens. I can extract the contents of the file to a folder, with 7zip, but no executable is found. I don't know what the problem is. My computer is running in 64 bit, windows 7 mode.

Thank You!!!

Do NOT extract HD6.jar.  This is explained in the download instructions and elsewhere.  HD6.jar is the executable for HD. You are going to want to delete everything and start from scratch if you unpacked HD6.jar.

If you want help, you're going to need to provide information specified in this thread.  Specifically:

1. The output of

java -version

2. The output of 

ftype | find "jarfile"

3. The directory that you have unpacked HeroDesigner.zip into (the directory that contains HD6.jar).  

• 1 month later...

Not entirely sure what you're posting...looks like you had a valid file association in the first command (ftype | find "jarfile") which you then changed in the second command...likely to an invalid path on your system.

If you're looking for help, you may want to start by stating what the problem is and NOT blindly executing commands on your system without paying attention to the instructions included with them.

Not entirely sure what you're posting...looks like you had a valid file association in the first command (ftype | find "jarfile") which you then changed in the second command...likely to an invalid path on your system.

If you're looking for help, you may want to start by stating what the problem is and NOT blindly executing commands on your system without paying attention to the instructions included with the

I had the previous version of HD and it would start but not save. I purchased the latest version and when I attempt to start it I get the loading image where it gets stuck. 

your instructions make almost no sense to me at all. I try to not ever use the command line as I am to much a novus to not mess it up.

You've likely messed it up more at this point by pointing to the wrong directory on your system for .jar files.  Enter the following to take things back to where they were when you started:

ftype jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

If HD is starting (giving the loading image) then your problem is not with file associations.  Create a new thread and post the contents of the trace.log file from the directory that you installed (unzipped) the HD download into.

I am Having Issues Running the Hero Designer. Here is what I know 

I am On a Windows 10 System.

When I run the ftype | find "jarfile" this is the Output

jarfile="c:Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

Ive also run the ftype jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %* and got the same output.

If anymore information is needed just let me know.

• 1 month later...

Hi, i just purchased the Hero Designer software and am having issues getting it to function. I am running a windows 10 home version 64 bit. I have made sure to download the latest version of Java. When I did the command line i was returned this.

C:\Users\Randall>ftype | find "jarfile"
jarfile="C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_73\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

When I double click the .jar file it opens up IE and attempts to download something. Not sure if I accidently had it associate the .jar file with a bad application for it. Any help would be appreciated.