Issues Executing .jar Files Under Windows

Simon

Alrighty, starting from scratch, uninstalled all java, then re-downloaded it. When i double clicked the hd6.jar file it brings up a prompt asking what application i would like to use to open the file. on the command prompt i typed

ftype | find "jarfile"

and was returned

jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_73\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

I downloaded the original zip folder to the standard downloads, extracted it to a folder "HeroDesigner" in  the Documents folder. Forgive me for being so lost, but I have not used command lines since the early 90s and have forgotten most everything on how to do it, so please be patient with me.

No worries -- most likely the problem is with the file association.  You'll want to make sure that the path listed in the ftype output is correct.  Uninstalling and re-installing Java should have fixed it, but you can always use the directions in the initial post of this thread to set it manually.

if you cd into the HeroDesigner directory ("cd \Users\[your username]\Documents\HeroDesigner") and enter what I listed above, you can skip over all of the file associations that your system seems to not have correct.

From CNet Downloads:
http://download.cnet.com/JAR_Runner/3000-2094_4-76475806.html
"JAR_Runner locates the current Java installation, calls the appropriate application (JavaW.exe), & directs it to run the JAR file. It integrates right into the Windows system & also has a CMD/DOS command line option."

Download direct from JAR_Runner Site:
http://projects.killerapplets.com/JAR_Runner/

Alternatively, try JARFix:
http://johann.loefflmann.net/en/software/jarfix/index.html

I've uninstalled/reinstalled both java and Hero Designer multiple times. But when I try to run the .jar file with javaw, it says unable to launch application. Under the details, it says, "Could not parse launch file. Error at line1."

Please help

I know next to nothing about JAVA

Let's start with basics:

1. What are the contents of the directory that you're looking to run HD from (file listing)?

2. What (exactly) are you doing when you "try to run the .jar file with javaw"?

3. What happens when you double-click on HD6.jar?

Not sure what you mean by file listing. I extracted the contents to a new file under My Documents.

When double clicking on the jar file, nothing happens. I tried to open with Java and javaw, and that's when I got the error message.

If I understand the second part you're asking then it's tied with the third.

That's likely your issue, then.

You'll need to do one of two things:

1. Follow the instructions at the start of this thread to attempt to correct the file associations on your system.

2. Open a command prompt, cd to the directory that you've unpacked HD into, and type the following:

javaw -jar HD6.jar

That means that Java and HD are working on your system -- it's just your system's configuration that is preventing you from double-clicking the application to launch it.

The instructions at the start of this thread will attempt to correct the file associations on your system (the erroneous configuration).

• 3 months later...

OK I've figured this out on my windows 10 system...and it's easy.  Just install the latest version of Java (I had version 8 update 91), and then in the Hero Designer folder, just rename the file to end with a .JAR, then double click it...viola!  That should do it...it did for me.  The name can be pretty much anything .JAR

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Okay, I need some help.

I am using windows 10.

I have downloaded the zip file to  C:/users/seanr/HeroDesigner.

I have unzipped the file.

What is now in the directory is:

DefaultPrintTemplate.hde

DefaultPrintTemplate6e.hde

HD6 (winRar archive is the file type)

HDDocs (pdf file)

hdlogo (PNG file)

herologo (jpg file)

HeroSystem_6eLogos (jg file)

So..what do I click on to run the program? I don't see the jar file everyone is talking about.

I have the most current version of java.

Thanks.

You have your system set to hide file extensions -- HD6 is HD6.jar (when you can see the file extension).

Your system stating that it's a winRAR archive is a sign of misconfiguration.  Do the following:

1. Make sure that you have Java installed (www.java.com)

2. Google "jarfix" and download/run the first result -- that will fix file associations on your system

Then just double-click on HD6 (.jar)

• 6 months later...

Not sure if mine is the same issue.  I re-downloaded Java and used the javafix link but I'm still getting the following error message: 

Unable to install Java

There are errors in the following switches:

"C:\Users\myname\Desktop\HERODesigner\HD6.jar";.

Check that the commands are valid and try again.

Thanks for your help!

"Unable to install Java" would seem to indicate that you're trying to launch HD with the installer for Java, rather than installing Java on your system and _then_ running HD.

Steps to make it (hopefully) simple:

1. Go to www.java.com and install Java on your system. 

2. Google "jarfix" and go to the first result to find a small program you can run to ensure that file associations are properly set on your system

3. Double-click on HD6.jar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello,

So I recently installed Java 10 and cannot revert back to older versions of Java as a workaround, I am stuck with Java 10.0.2. I am running Windows 10.

When I double click the shortcut/the jar executable nothing happens.

HD6 worked on my previous version, which I believe was Java 9. I have downloaded and ran "jarfix.exe" and nothing changed. The file is currently being opened with "Java(TM) Platform SE Binary", this is what was used with the previous version of java as far as I am aware.

In another thread I saw a solution using the following command lines:

Input: ftype | find "jarfile"

Output: jarfile="C:\Program Files\Java\jre-10.0.2\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

Input: ftype jarfile="C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

Output: Access is denied.
              Error occurred while processing: jarfile.

I tried the above command line but changed it from "jre7" to "jre-10.0.2" with the same output.

I have also tried using the command line to run the program itself using java -jar HD6.jar. The command prompt ran without issues and spit out a blank line C:\Users\YungL> so it ran without error but nothing else happened.

I have also tried uninstalling all previous versions of java and redownloading just Java 10.0.2, no success.

I'm pretty thoroughly at a loss on what to do from here. To clarify, I tried the command line prompts before I downloaded and ran "jarfix.exe".

Edited by Foset