• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:14 PM

You've likely messed it up more at this point by pointing to the wrong directory on your system for .jar files.  Enter the following to take things back to where they were when you started:

ftype jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

If HD is starting (giving the loading image) then your problem is not with file associations.  Create a new thread and post the contents of the trace.log file from the directory that you installed (unzipped) the HD download into.

• Burrito Boy likes this

I am but mad north by northwest.  When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.

#22 Mayiko

Mayiko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:14 AM

I am Having Issues Running the Hero Designer. Here is what I know 

I am On a Windows 10 System.

When I run the ftype | find "jarfile" this is the Output

jarfile="c:Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

Ive also run the ftype jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %* and got the same output.

If anymore information is needed just let me know.

#23 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:09 PM

Information on what problems you're having would help... What you're doing, what's happening, etc.

I am but mad north by northwest.  When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.

#24 JodahTAME

JodahTAME

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

Hi, i just purchased the Hero Designer software and am having issues getting it to function. I am running a windows 10 home version 64 bit. I have made sure to download the latest version of Java. When I did the command line i was returned this.

C:\Users\Randall>ftype | find "jarfile"
jarfile="C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_73\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

When I double click the .jar file it opens up IE and attempts to download something. Not sure if I accidently had it associate the .jar file with a bad application for it. Any help would be appreciated.

#25 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

Opening up IE is new...

Let's try verifying the Java installation:

Open a command prompt, cd to the directory that you unzipped HD into (where is that, by the way?) and then enter

java -jar HD6.jar

#26 Scott Baker

Scott Baker

One of The First Ones

• 1,677 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:04 PM

Opening up IE is new...

Especially since Edge is the default browser for Windows 10.

"Once you consent to some concession, you can never cancel it and put things back the way they are." - Howard Hughes

#27 JodahTAME

JodahTAME

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

Alrighty, starting from scratch, uninstalled all java, then re-downloaded it. When i double clicked the hd6.jar file it brings up a prompt asking what application i would like to use to open the file. on the command prompt i typed

ftype | find "jarfile"

and was returned

jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_73\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

I downloaded the original zip folder to the standard downloads, extracted it to a folder "HeroDesigner" in  the Documents folder. Forgive me for being so lost, but I have not used command lines since the early 90s and have forgotten most everything on how to do it, so please be patient with me.

#28 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

No worries -- most likely the problem is with the file association.  You'll want to make sure that the path listed in the ftype output is correct.  Uninstalling and re-installing Java should have fixed it, but you can always use the directions in the initial post of this thread to set it manually.

if you cd into the HeroDesigner directory ("cd \Users\[your username]\Documents\HeroDesigner") and enter what I listed above, you can skip over all of the file associations that your system seems to not have correct.

#29 BoyBlueSky

BoyBlueSky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

From CNet Downloads:
http://download.cnet...4-76475806.html
"JAR_Runner locates the current Java installation, calls the appropriate application (JavaW.exe), & directs it to run the JAR file. It integrates right into the Windows system & also has a CMD/DOS command line option."

Download direct from JAR_Runner Site:
http://projects.kill...com/JAR_Runner/

Alternatively, try JARFix:
http://johann.loeffl...rfix/index.html

#30 JodahTAME

JodahTAME

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:38 AM

Thank you for the help, got the program working. Glad for such timely responses. You guys rock.

#31 nlampp

nlampp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:28 PM

I've uninstalled/reinstalled both java and Hero Designer multiple times. But when I try to run the .jar file with javaw, it says unable to launch application. Under the details, it says, "Could not parse launch file. Error at line1."

Please help

I know next to nothing about JAVA

#32 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:31 AM

Let's start with basics:

1. What are the contents of the directory that you're looking to run HD from (file listing)?

2. What (exactly) are you doing when you "try to run the .jar file with javaw"?

3. What happens when you double-click on HD6.jar?

#33 nlampp

nlampp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

Not sure what you mean by file listing. I extracted the contents to a new file under My Documents.

When double clicking on the jar file, nothing happens. I tried to open with Java and javaw, and that's when I got the error message.

If I understand the second part you're asking then it's tied with the third.

#34 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:59 AM

How (exactly) are you trying "to open with Java and javaw"?

You need to provide specifics if you want any help.  

#35 nlampp

nlampp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:32 PM

I'm right clicking on the jar file and going to "open with," then searching for the application through the browse function because it's not offering java or javaw as a potential default run program.

#36 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

That's likely your issue, then.

You'll need to do one of two things:

1. Follow the instructions at the start of this thread to attempt to correct the file associations on your system.

2. Open a command prompt, cd to the directory that you've unpacked HD into, and type the following:

javaw -jar HD6.jar

#37 nlampp

nlampp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

Great! Thank you! I got it working this way. But after I closed out and tried to relaunch the program by double clicking it still doesn't open.

Is there way to get to the program without having to use the cd prompts again?

#38 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

That means that Java and HD are working on your system -- it's just your system's configuration that is preventing you from double-clicking the application to launch it.

The instructions at the start of this thread will attempt to correct the file associations on your system (the erroneous configuration).

#39 dkjordan

dkjordan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:58 PM

OK I've figured this out on my windows 10 system...and it's easy.  Just install the latest version of Java (I had version 8 update 91), and then in the Hero Designer folder, just rename the file to end with a .JAR, then double click it...viola!  That should do it...it did for me.  The name can be pretty much anything .JAR

#40 killerjoe68

killerjoe68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:57 PM

I just bought Hero designer and its not running when I execute the HD6.jar file, 

I currently have java 8 installed