[How to Do] Ammo roll replacement for charge

Dr Divago

Hi all

another "how to do" question; i'm about to start a DC/Cyberpunk campaign and some of my player asked a way to get rid of annoying ammo count

guns and firearms are central to this setting, and for every weapon player should keep track of ammo: how much ammo used, how much ammo still in on the clip, etc.

however, this is tedious and need a bit bookkeeping and they should be happy to get rid of them

so i thought about an "ammo roll" replacement: something like a Require a Roll, and if you fail the weapon is jammed or run out of ammo (it requires a full phase to reload a clip or unjam them... if you have clip, of course :) )

to lessen dicerolling i thought about placing the Require a Roll inside Attack roll: if you roll "more" than a fixed value, then weapon is jammed/out-of-ammo... something like

value | roll to jam
-------+-------------
  +1/2 |  16+
  +1/4 |  15+
    0  |  14+
  -1/4 |  13+
  -1/2 |  12+
  -3/4 |  11+

this limitation work like charges, so it automatically means No END and for high "jamming roll" it's an advantage. If you run more or equal to the number shown, weapon is jammed BUT you still could have hit

i can use this advantage/limitation in lieu of charges so i can still use DC weapon table without increasing/decreasing Active and Real cost

what do you think? is a viable option?

or it's a crappy idea and there's something horribly wrong i can't see?

or there is a better way to do it, without creating a new advantage/limitation?

Generally speaking, ammo is not usually an issue in most sessions I've played. Two magazines should be sufficient unless you are getting into high rates of autofire. I've seen a magazine empty about once a turn.

One way I've seen to keep track of ammo is a small bowl of pennies. Players pull out the number of rounds they are firing and dump them to the side. When they run out, time to reload.

Of course, you could go full-on cinematic and just have reloads happen "off camera" instead of tracking ammo. We've all seen action movies where the hero never seems to run out of bullets or needs to reload.