Instant STR

Logan D. Hurricanes

Question

Hey, Steve, working on a duplicator. The effect I want to represent is two alts that overlap each other for a moment, increasing STR. At first I went with HA.

Then it occurred to me that maybe I should buy extra STR with the Instant limitation. This would allow lifting or exertion that isn't strictly for damage. Or would it? Is Instant STR a kosher purchase? I fear that I might be recreating a wheel, because the more I think about it, it's so close to HA it might not be legit.

Thoughts?

1 answer to this question

I won't say that Instant is an illegal Limitation for STR, but as a GM I would certainly look at it with a dubious eye. In many respects STR already functions as a sort of Instant Attack Power, so I'm not sure the Limitation is sufficiently restrictive to be worth a -1/4 cost break.

The real question here is, what can the duplicates use their STR for? Based on your description it sounds to me like they could use it to hit, to lift, to pull things, to Grab, and so forth. I don't see any real restriction here -- except the fact that the one duplicate only remains in existence for a Phase (i.e., he's not a Duplicate created by the Duplication Power, he's the special effect of an ability). If the character does enough lifting and Grabbing, Instant might be a valid Limitation here. OTOH, if the character can effortlessly create the special effect duplicate again and again without difficulty, there may not be -1/4 worth of restriction.

As always, consult your GM. ;)