Agents Of SHIELD!

wcw43921

I wonder if Skye is immortal. She is the daughter of someone who touched the obelisk and apparently wasn't aging. We still don't know what powers her father actually has. I wonder if they aren't replacing the Terragin Mists with the Diviner (the name of the obelisk). I also wondered if it wasn't going to turn out to be another of the infinity stones.

As the show gains viewership, Marvel may allow it to do more narrative heavy lifting for the MCU and not relegate it to strictly minor league status. Budgetary limits will keep the show from straying too far into the epic scale super action reserved for the tentpole films in any event. But there's no reason the show can't establish major pieces of lore and continuity that will then inform subsequent films.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the mid season finale! Skye's identity has finally been revealed! After reading up on the character, it seems like she has a pretty good power set for a TV budget.

Pretty good episode. I'm liking Season 2 so far. Hate the Winter breaks, though.

At least we have Agent Carter or whatever her show's going to be called.

Yes,I was wondering if Skye might not be

Daisy Johnson

anyway, so wasn't particularly surprised when they went that route. I was still pleased though. Like you said, her powers make should work for a TV budget. The transformation scene COULD have been over the top, but I actually liked the way it turned out. While there's a lot Marvel Comics do that drive me nuts, I actually LIKE the Terrigan Mists running amok in theory... sure, it's all in the hopes Marvel will have a persecuted class without the Mutant label, but it IS intriguing to me.

So the upcoming Inhumans movie one I did not expect, but greatly look forward to.

Back to AoS... well, we now have an  actual superagent, which means my inner fan boy just lost one his bigger gripes. I hope they haven't lost complete track of Deathlok though. I am hoping the poor bastard gets some help by the end of this.

That was a fun episode.  Very much like the direction they are going with Skye ("That's not her name").  Superagents of Shield is getting really interesting.  We've got two really interesting members

Mockingbird and Quake

and I'm just really looking forward to where they go with this given all the supervillains introduced so far in the series. Plus Hydra continues to pose a threat, and now we've got Inhumans running about the place.

Mr. Hyde, Blizzard, Absorbing Man, Deathlok, Lorelei, Graviton so far... who am I missing?

Good stuff.

That was a fun episode.  Very much like the direction they are going with Skye ("That's not her name").  Superagents of Shield is getting really interesting.  We've got two really interesting members

Mockingbird and Quake

and I'm just really looking forward to where they go with this given all the supervillains introduced so far in the series. Plus Hydra continues to pose a threat, and now we've got Inhumans running about the place.

Mr. Hyde, Blizzard, Absorbing Man, Deathlok, Lorelei, Graviton so far... who am I missing?

Good stuff

You missed whoever the other girl changed into. Didn't recognize the character.

the blind guy could be Reader

I thought the show's essential mandate was that everyone on the team was nothing more than a talented normal, and that the show would focus on the non-superpowered threats that were beyond the ability of police forces and paramilitaries to handle. I guess that idea went out the window...

Not that I mind. A show about non-supers in a superhero universe is a whole lotta boring to me, and so I'm glad they are amping up the power level of the show in general.

Interesting who she is and her powers, but I would have liked to have seen her develop abilities more along the lines that allowed her the computer hacking she has shown. Maybe something like Amadeus Cho (Mastermind Excello).

I actually like it the way we got. She's a super hacker because she has Mad Skillz, the powers.. .eh they're just extra. :D

I guess my reaction has more to do with their portrayal of her hacker skills, which seemed almost supernatural in some of the stuff she did, though I agree it wasn't outside what Felicity does on Arrow, so maybe shouldn't seem super powered. But if I recall, she basically hacked the quinjets system with her cell phone at one point.

I have no problem with her being Daisy Johnson, and it was a good surprise, but I just think more of an explanation could have been forthcoming.

I'm with Lord Mhoran and Hermit--I like that her mad hacking skillz are just that: mad skillz. Not the result of some superhuman talent. (Not that I don't object to the 21st century equivalent of "A wizard did it" as the result of hacking efforts...but Agents of Shield is hardly alone in treating hacking like 21st century magic.)

For some reason I regard the notion of hacking as a superpower as kind of stupid. About as stupid as any number of other dumb powers given to characters in the comics over the years. But what makes superhacking especially annoying to me is that the idea is given a weird cultural currency simply because we live in a time when hackers are disrupting our lives on a massive scale every year. To the ignorant, hacking a quinjet with a cell phone doesn't seem far-fetched, and thanks to them, otherwise smart writing is willingly undermined by lazy writing.

• 2 months later...