Agents Of SHIELD!

wcw43921

The problem with knocking him out and dragging him through is that by the time he objected it was just him and Daisy there. No way she could keep the portal clear and haul his huge self through it at the same time. She was stupid for telling him his daughter was dead in the real world, though. She should have lied to him to get him to come through. He wasn't in any condition to make his own decisions after having his mind reprogrammed by the Matr Framework.

That was a pretty tricky situation Daisy was in, and I think that it's fair to say that Mac already had his suspicions. Trip had figured out that he was dead over in the other world, and the same emotional tells were there for Hope. She opted not to lie, and, well. . .

Also, some great subverting of the redshirt trope in there. 

I still wonder if they're going to pull one of the framework people (Ward or Tripp) out of the framework via the 3d flesh printer. If it was on the sub, then it may still be possible, but I got the impression is was on the torpedoed drilling rig base.

A mass exodus of everyone from the Framework via the device might be an amusing finale. The team thinks they've wrapped everything up, only to find a huge (really huge) gathering of former framework constructs to deal with.

Every useful Inhuman power it is - just like we thought. 

Yeah, magical devices be magical. Feh.

It's just a cheap plot device to make it impossible for viewers to anticipate anything (because Ophelia can now do anything! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)

This episode was fun at times, but it was so dumb at many other times:

I think the description of the containment chamber is misleading. It doesn't dampen (suppress) powers, because if it did, Ophelia wouldn't have been able to teleport from one part of the chamber to the other. Rather, her teleporting simply wouldn't have activated at all. Instead, the chamber must be generating an energy field that hits one of the power's Limitations ("Not through energy fields"). And the fact that the chamber didn't prevent her from using her electrical blasts means the chamber has to be calibrated specifically for certain powers, rather than just generally suppressing all powers. Again, good for creating drama, bad for creating internal logic.

And why didn't Coulson use his vorpal energy shield against all the robocopies of the Superior? I don't recall them previously establishing that it had only a single Charge (per episode)?

And how did Ophelia retrieve Mac without disconnecting him from the Framework? Shouldn't his brain have been fried?

And was anyone feeling anxious that they would fail to connect those two hoses in time to shoot down the kamakaze attack? Utterly predictable outcomes are the antithesis of suspense. How can the writers not know that?

It's just a cheap plot device to make it impossible for viewers to anticipate anything (because Ophelia can now do anything! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)

I think the description of the containment chamber is misleading. It doesn't dampen (suppress) powers, because if it did, Ophelia wouldn't have been able to teleport from one part of the chamber to the other. Rather, her teleporting simply wouldn't have activated at all. Instead, the chamber must be generating an energy field that hits one of the power's Limitations ("Not through energy fields"). And the fact that the chamber didn't prevent her from using her electrical blasts means the chamber has to be calibrated specifically for certain powers, rather than just generally suppressing all powers. Again, good for creating drama, bad for creating internal logic.

And why didn't Coulson use his vorpal energy shield against all the robocopies of the Superior? I don't recall them previously establishing that it had only a single Charge (per episode)?

And how did Ophelia retrieve Mac without disconnecting him from the Framework? Shouldn't his brain have been fried?

And was anyone feeling anxious that they would fail to connect those two hoses in time to shoot down the kamakaze attack? Utterly predictable outcomes are the antithesis of suspense. How can the writers not know that?

Good points all.

re: the spoilered points:

1. I thought the chambers suppressed powers. That seemed to be the way they worked up until now. Seemed inconsistent to me too.

2. I think he should have at least tried. They could have hung a lantern on the fact that the head in the jar is controlling the bots with a single line of dialog. "Fool me once, shame on you . . ." sort of thing. Maybe they did and it got cut in editing? (Prob. not.)

3. I think it was because they opened a socket to the WiFi BluBrain connection in the . . . yeah. That didn't make much sense.

4. That was a bit silly. Oddly enough, if it wasn't a certain death situation, there may have been some chance for a bit of suspense.

By the end of the episode, I was wondering whether it was written by a preteen or simply for preteens.

Then I realized I was being insulting to preteens.

It's pretty much the same level of writing the CW supers shows get. That is, the same level of writing that led me to stop watching those shows.

I liked everything about this episode until the diner.

I did a book report on Heart of Darkness and The Hollow Men by TS Elliot was supplemental reading the teacher assigned to the project so I really liked the scene on the beach.  Very fitting. Well done.

And Mac lives! Taking away from it that he's missing something in his life and that maybe he should be open to the possibilities of the future is about the best way that could have been resolved without Radcliffe going "The machine! It's still functional! We can get her there!" when Mac refused to leave (and then having an epic chase where the world is literally disintegrating around them).  

I would have been fine with that but this is character growth and it's better.

Also I think I could watch a looping gif of

Jemma shooting Aida with a submachine gun

for a few minutes.

And GR deserves his own spin off, dammit.

For those who dislike the show that much, I recommend doing what I did with Arrow and Flash: stop watching. That decision has saved me many hours of time better spent on other things (some televised, some not). I continue to watch AoS because I like the MCU and, despite its flaws, I like (most of) its characters and I have fun watching the seasonal plots unfold.

As for this episode:

As usual, the best thing about the show/episode (for me) continues to be Fitz/Simmons. However...

I liked the return of Ghost Rider, but I kind of feel he was used to solve the Ophelia Problem too quickly. It felt rushed. She was a great villain, with tremendous potential, and she was destroyed in the space of three episodes. Such a waste, if you ask me. And it would have been nice to see Reyes hand the Darkhold over to an acolyte of the Ancient One. It would have been a nice, simple way to strengthen the ties between AoS and the larger MCU (and Dr. Strange in particular).

I'm not too keen on how easily/quickly LMDs can be manufactured now. I mean, it's like entire armies of them can be made between episodes. There's a problem with that which I doubt the show will bother to address, but we'll see. And how did Fitz come up with that Simmons LMD so quickly? Even if there was one sitting around (and in such perfect condition) somewhere, when did he have time to boot her up and explain the current situation to the extent necessary to accomplish the task at hand?

I didn't care for the contrived drama over whether or not Mac would make it back. We weren't allowed to see YoYo leave him behind and walk through the exit, followed by him making his choice to also exit. What was that final exchange between them like? She seemed determined to die with him in the Framework, but she went through the exit anyway. And if they agreed to both exit, why didn't they exit together, returning to consciousness at the same time? Why the long delay, making us all wonder if he chose to stay and die or not? The answer is the writers wanted contrived drama, yanking our chains to produce an unearned emotional reaction. Not that it really matters to me that much since I don't see any believable chemistry between those two characters to begin with. But the amateurish writing bothers me on principle.

I really wish they would have GR show up in Defenders. Would tie the universes together more, he fits their level of power and would actually work as a Defender, I think. Either that or do a team up of him and Punisher, then you could have a really dark series.

I respectfully disagree. This Ghost Rider is at least as strong and tough as Luke Cage, maybe more so; and his hellfire powers are terrifyingly lethal. Adding what he can do with his chain and his car also makes him more versatile than the Defenders. I fear he would be too dominant.

GR was the best thing about the season. The LMD plot could have been handled a lot better. Lots of missed opportunities there.

Hopefully the show will go out on a better note next year (I assume that will be the last season, anyway).

But first, we'll get The Inhumans. Hopefully it'll be another enjoyable Marvel series.