Pulp products?

zslane

So what are the pulp game products that have been published by Hero Games over the years?

Justice Inc.

+ Lands of Mystery

+ Trail of the Gold Spike

Pulp Hero

+ Thrilling Places

+ Thrilling Adventures (this never saw physical printed form, right?)

What am I missing?

Ah, okay, great!

Is it accurate to say, though, that in 30 years there have been exactly six JI/PH products published by Hero Games?

I remember being at a "What's New at Hero Games" panel at GenCon one year in the early 90s where Steve Peterson asked the assembled gamers how many of them like the idea of more Pulp genre material for the game. Nearly everyone's hand went up, at which point Steve said that he almost invariably got that sort of response wherever he went (convention-wise), and yet the sales figures for Pulp genre products were notoriously abysmal. There seems to be a puzzling disconnect between the love for the genre and an interest in spending money on it, which leads to an unfortunate paucity of official product. And now that our esteemed Mr. Allston is no longer with us, I don't know where to turn (I know there's a bunch of Pulp genre support material in pdf form around here, but does it stand up to the quality level of Allston's work?)

I can't speak to the quality of most of the PDF products -- pulp isn't my genre of choice -- but there's certainly a lot of stuff in the Hero Games website store for the genre right now, PDF and hardcopy, for both Fifth and Sixth Edition HERO System. Cumulatively, probably more currently-purchasable material than from any other game publisher. And the 5E stuff is very inexpensive.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/store/category/16-pulp-hero/

http://www.herogames.com/forums/store/category/21-pulp-hero/

Is it accurate to say, though, that in 30 years there have been exactly six JI/PH products published by Hero Games?

Call it 25 products including THA (a collection of the HPA PDFs). As for quality, you won't find them to be complete treatises on the Pulp Genre. They're short, but generally interesting (depending on what kind of pulp action you are looking for). If I had had anyone interested in playing, I looked at most of them as 1 or 2 evening sessions. I never did any hard analysis of them, but I was not unhappy with my purchases.