Sleight of hand

GodsMercenary8

Is the weapon on his hip/in a scabbard or is it in his hand? I would say to get a weapon from someone in the heat of combat without them noticing would be pretty hard (-5 maybe) but not impossible as it has been known to happen that a person in combat was disarmed without noticing.

However out of combat I would think it would be fairly simple and a routine bump or flash should be enough of a distraction with a small modifier + or - depending on the size of the weapon and the holster.  For example a dagger is a normal holster would be easy to pull and likely receive a +1. A pistol in a tactical holster would be very difficult with a -3 or higher depending on quality. 

A war hammer is heavy and awkward, so it would be easy to notice it is missing (harder to slight of hand it away) so a large penalty would be applied (IMHO).

I know from playing around with friends, even if I stand still it is very hard for them to get a pistol out of my tactical holster. While soft soft carry conceal holster, that sits in the middle of my back is relatively easy for them to pull from. If you have access to weapons and are 18+, play with them a bit (unloaded) and see how your group feels about it.

I'm going to interpret that as: How do you take a weapon away from someone who is awake and alert and not in combat?

If my assumption is wrong, let me know, but I can't think why you would WANT to disarm someone in combat and conceal from them the fact that you have disarmed them. Conversely if they're snoozing when you steal their weapon, the task is so trivial I can't imagine that's what you're asking about.

So it depends on things like the kind of weapon and how it's sheathed. A dagger for example is probably not that much harder to swipe than a purse; it's a Skill vs Skill contest, the thief's Sleight of Hand vs the victim's Perception. The larger the weapon, the harder it would be to pull off. For example, if someone is carrying a spear and you want it, you would probably have to have a pole about the right size, follow them around (Stealth or Shadowing at -3 because you're following closely and carrying a big stick) and then when they let go of it for a minute, maybe to lean against a stall as they examine merchandise, make the substitution (Sleight of Hand) and casually walk away as they pick up the wrong pole and set off with it (assuming they fail a Perception roll - also you may need a Luck roll to keep anyone else around from noticing what you're doing.)

You can also always use the Extraordinary Feat rule, if you have a Sleight of Hand of 18.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has four feet, and some find it extraordinary

However out of combat I would think it would be fairly simple and a routine bump or flash should be enough of a distraction with a small modifier + or - depending on the size of the weapon and the holster.  For example a dagger is a normal holster would be easy to pull and likely receive a +1. A pistol in a tactical holster would be very difficult with a -3 or higher depending on quality. 

A war hammer is heavy and awkward, so it would be easy to notice it is missing (harder to slight of hand it away) so a large penalty would be applied (IMHO).

The Ultimate Skill (and whatever the updated version is called...Hero System Skill?) has a table of modifiers based on the size of the object and where it's kept.

51% - 75% the size of a hand is -0.  76% - 100% is -1 and each additional +10% size is another -1.  Anything more than 140% the size of a hand is classed as "Generally not possible".

Being in a belt pouch or a fanny pack is +1, which I would say is comparable to a scabbard.  An interior jacket pocket is -1 and a tight pocket is -1, so a shoulder holster might be -2.

Cinematically? The whole they're so involved in combat and go to swing only to notice their sword is gone trick?

Roll a Disarm like normal, if that success, use a Sleight Of Hand Skill (with modifiers you deem appropriate) to 'conceal' the Disarm Attack; Hilarity ensues.

The only advice I have is make sure it's appropriate to the campaign's overall style. This is perfectly appropriate, IMO, for a more slapstick/comedic campaign than a dark & gritty one. It's be completely out of place in Full Metal Jacket Hero, less so in MIB Hero.

Out of combat, it's just like any other pick pocket type roll, just with more modifiers based on weapon size as others have already mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...

A really skilled pickpocket can do some amazing things.  Apollo Robbins is a pickpocket/stage performer who can swipe the glasses off of someone's face without them realizing it (which boggles my mind).  You might want to check out YouTube for some of his feats to see what kinds of thing can be done, or just because it is astonishing to see what he can do.  Of course in game terms Mr. Robbins probably has something crazy like Sleight of Hand at 23-, so this is not your average joe.

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine the shock on some villians face when he goes to use the sword of power to only find out its a normal sword.

Or a swordfish.

Anyway, the general Sleight of Hand disarm is one I might allow if the subject is caught sufficiently off guard.  Perhaps he knows there is danger about and has his weapon drawn, but is still unaware you are sneaking up behind him.  The Stealth roll you used to approach might even be Complementary to the (quite difficult) Sleight of Hand roll....