Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Well, time will tell if I am wrong, but I think any trailer that ends with Thor asking, “Who the hell are you guys?” (followed by a cut to a shot revealing who “you guys” are) is enough by itself to drag record numbers of ticket buyers to theatres opening weekend.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think Thor Rangarok did help a lot more than the trailers.  People really seem to have enjoyed that movie and its a heavy lead-in to the next film from what I have heard.

Although a film largely about Thanos' origins with cameos by a zillion superheroes doesn't seem like its going to appeal broadly.  Who knows?  Marvel has pulled off stranger projects in the past.

9 hours ago, zslane said:

I guess we need exit polls for online trailers now, to gauge interest post-viewing. I imagine that a large percentage of the folks who broke the Internet when that trailer first hit are highly enthusiastic for the film. It is mostly just the jaded nerds that are meh about it.

This.

I would consider it more of a buffet, these days - there's a lot of superheroic content on tv, streaming services, and in theathers these days.

The plate I bring to it is my free time.  It's not as large a plate as I'd like.

I'd like to sample everything in the buffet but my plate only holds so much per trip up - so my first trip up I fill it with everything I know I will probably love. 

Tastes I'll probably *like* have to wait for future trips up to the buffet, and tastes I've never experienced before might get sampled eventually (as long as by the time I get to go up to the buffet with the plate they haven't restocked anything I would consider first or second trip worthy to grab instead ... and these days they often do).

The next Thor film (Thor 4) should have the High Evolutionary as the villain. Make it a mystery who-done-it with Bill being one of the people experimented on that gets away. The subordinates (goons) can be made up from the New Men, Knights of Wundagore & Godpack. The Revengers vow to bring Bill's mad scientist to justice. But there is a reason High Evolutionary is doing these experiments, as he knows the Celestials are coming to judge Sakaar and High Evolutionary wants to stop them, thus setting up Thor 5.

As Thor 3's director is a big fan of Jack Kirby, having High Evolutionary & the Celestials should get him back on board. And High Evolutionary then becomes a sympathetic villain or neutral person which suits the character as he is a sometimes hero or villain. 

And another selling point, Thor & Hulk have to use their brains not their fists to solve a mystery (although there is punching too, it is a superhero film after all). 

I don't think the public cares nearly as much about the physical appearance of the actors in movies as the movie business does or seems to believe.  This whole "historic first x" thing is fascinating to a small portion of the population but I think most people just want an entertaining, interesting movie whatever shape and hue the actors happen to be.

I don't think the public cares nearly as much about the physical appearance of the actors in movies as the movie business does or seems to believe.  This whole "historic first x" thing is fascinating to a small portion of the population but I think most people just want an entertaining, interesting movie whatever shape and hue the actors happen to be.

Make a good movie, people will want to see it.  I think Will Smith proved that a black actor can carry a mainstream action/adventure movie back in the 90s.  I don't see why this is surprising 20 years after Men in Black.

Agreed.  Still, don't discount the significance of a movie that stars a minority when that minority plays the bad guy or the expendable sidekick in 99% of other mainstream films.