Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

9 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Aw, I'm sorry to see they aren't going to have the big windvane antlers on Proxima Midnight's headgear. Hela proved that such things can be done well and look awesome now.

I wonder if they specifically did NOT do that, because most movie goers would react like, "Oh... is that Hela? Why does she have big horns, too?" kind of thing. Unlike comic book readers who tend to differentiate on details... "No, Proxima is blue, and her windvane antlers are gold, not black, and..."  that kind of nuance is lost on movie goers. In fact, the more I think about it, I'm thinking it is highly likely they had the, "No, she'll look too much like Hela... but we can't have her look like Nebula either" conversation quite a bit in costume production.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Bazza said:

...WHY Black Panther is making history, or have the vibe that it is making history.

It certainly does have that vibe, but I would hesitate to use the loaded term "historic" and go with the more uninflected term "unprecedented" instead. And (so far) it is only unprecedented in the sense that it marks the first time that a major studio has greenlit a black superhero movie with an African-American director and a primarily black cast. This is a good thing to be sure, but I think the movie needs to stand out in more ways than that--and stand the test of time--before it will be recognized as something genuinely "historic".

We'll have to see if it stands out in terms of quality, although the creators' pedigree and the advance word of mouth are very hope-inducing.

As to the other things that make it unprecedented besides black director and black cast, I can't say any more than the manifold posts already on this thread that have discussed those features at length.

3 hours ago, zslane said:

It certainly does have that vibe, but I would hesitate to use the loaded term "historic" and go with the more uninflected term "unprecedented" instead. And (so far) it is only unprecedented in the sense that it marks the first time that a major studio has greenlit a black superhero movie with an African-American director and a primarily black cast. This is a good thing to be sure, but I think the movie needs to stand out in more ways than that--and stand the test of time--before it will be recognized as something genuinely "historic".

Fair points. 

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

In looking at that picture, I noticed Silver Surfer on the comic. They just got back the FF stuff. Would be awesome if he showed up briefly at least.

It's important to note that Marvel has not yet gotten back "the FF stuff." Even if the deal to buy Fox's entertainment assets goes through, it'll be at least a year before all the contracts are finalized. But the US federal Competition Bureau has to sign off on the deal. Moreover, Comcast is making a rival bid against Disney to buy the Fox assets.

The Revolutionary Power of Black Panther

http://amp.timeinc.net/time/black-panther/

"It may be the first mega­budget movie—not just about superheroes, but about anyone—to have an African-American director and a predominantly black cast. Hollywood has never produced a blockbuster this splendidly black."
[...]
"Black Panther marks the biggest move yet in this wave: it’s both a black film and the newest entrant in the most bankable movie franchise in history."
[...]
"It hasn’t even hit theaters yet and its cultural footprint is already enormous."

Kevin Feige deserves lots of credit to get us this far. Even farther when the film actually opens.

Comics still aren't mainstream.

However, action movies with a superhero flavor have become mainstream because, well, at the end of the day people like a good action flick, even if it has the occasional superhero trope woven into it here and there.

IMO the current popularity of the superhero movie genre goes well beyond action flick similarities. Superheroes and supervillains are the mythic archetypes of the modern day, representing ideas and ideals greater than ordinary people can embody. As such they impact us on a whole other level than simple action.Those of us who love comics always understood that, of course, but the majority of moviegoers so identified the source material with "kids stuff" that they wouldn't take anything based on it seriously. That's why such otherwise notable efforts as Richard Donner's Superman, or Tim Burton's Batman, had to be swathed in comedy or camp. It took Bryan Singer's first X-Men movie to prove you could do a superhero film in a comic-book style, and do it straight, and have it be embraced by large numbers of both comic fans and the general public.

Their signifiers have been scrambled, hybridized and overcoded with new signifiers: Hercules has disappeared into Superman; Horus into Hawkman; Achilles into Captain America, Mercury into the Flash etc. etc. The gods, contrary to Heidegger’s insistence, are still with us, but in scrambled and barely recognizable form, just as they were during the Middle Ages when, during the Crusades, the civilizations of Western Christendom were crashing and colliding into the Islamic Society.

http://realitysandwich.com/215840/on-neil-gaimans-the-sandman/

Well now the alt-press is whining about Marvel's missed opportunity to add LGBTQ representation to Black Panther. It seems to me that Marvel is doomed to disappoint some minority group (or three) with every MCU release just due to the inherent limitations of the 2-hour movie format.