Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Black Panther going over $1Billion at the box-office, and that it might surpass Civil War next, it got me wondering about the "post Box Office" income of films. Civil War is still on Netflix (I've watched it several times there myself), so how much do these post-venues (streaming, Blu-Ray sales, etc.) actually factor into the profitability of a movie? What is Disney raking in from all the steady streaming licensing of the Marvel films? Anyone know?

Disney won't be making any film-based streaming revenue from Netflix for much longer. They will not be renewing their movie licenses and will be delivering that content solely through their own streaming service starting next year. So then the question becomes, how much will Disney's (nee Marvel's) movies make in streaming revenue through Disney's streaming service? Obviously they will be able to measure the income they get from streaming subscriptions, but I have no idea how they will decide how much of that revenue to attribute to each piece of content in the streaming library.

3 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I'm thinking Netflix will keep their Marvel shows. I think this is more about the Disney movies, including the Marvel movies. I guess I better get around to watching Moana.

You should. Several times. Disney's "Digital" age has been the best since the classic era, IMO. Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, Zootopia and Moana are excellent movies. Frozen was the least good, IMO, clearly having too much studio interference in the script. They were doing better than Pixar for a while there.

Edit: Yes, I know Disney owns Pixar,but they didn't originally... and Disney Animation Studio is a separate creation entity still, so that is what I'm referring to. oh, and forgot Big Hero 6 in there for Disney... another great one. Except for Inside out and Coco, it seems all the good writing ended up back at Disney, because Pixar has been on a slide.

8 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I'm thinking Netflix will keep their Marvel shows. I think this is more about the Disney movies, including the Marvel movies. I guess I better get around to watching Moana.

Right. The last report I heard, Netflix will retain Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage/Iron Fist, and the Punisher. Part of the reason for that is that those shows lean towards the TV-MA side of things (basically R-rated television), and Disney wants to keep separate channels of distribution for that stuff so as not to tarnish the G-rated Disney image. It is the same problem they have with Fox content like Deadpool, which they said will continue to be R-rated even after the acquisition. The expectation among industry insiders is that Disney will form a separate distribution arm (ala Miramax) for those kinds of movies.

6 hours ago, zslane said:

Right. The last report I heard, Netflix will retain Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage/Iron Fist, and the Punisher. Part of the reason for that is that those shows lean towards the TV-MA side of things (basically R-rated television), and Disney wants to keep separate channels of distribution for that stuff so as not to tarnish the G-rated Disney image. It is the same problem they have with Fox content like Deadpool, which they said will continue to be R-rated even after the acquisition. The expectation among industry insiders is that Disney will form a separate distribution arm (ala Miramax) for those kinds of movies.

Touchstone Films was originally formed to allow for PG-rated films to be marketed without the Disney branding. It was later used by Michael Eisner for R-rated films, starting with Down and Out in Beverly Hills. After the film, Ruthless People, it became Touchstone Pictures. It's still occasionally used for PG-13 and R-rated films.

23 minutes ago, zslane said:

Why is this "news"? And why do we need to know this prior to seeing the movie?

It is not, and we don't, but the incessant internet fandom has created a 24 hour obsession cycle that has degenerated "content" the same way the 24 hour news cycle degenerated "news". If you are a bunch of struggling fan site managers and content providers, you need to keep up a steady stream of "DID YOU KNOW???" content that brings in traffic, get them click advertising, etc.

When it comes to the subject of the fandome (in this case comics and movies) here is an article about how this obsession is actually ruining the actual fan enjoyment... from one of those sites that continues to post fan-theory and stupid minutia in order to get clicks.

https://www.cbr.com/fan-theories-ruin-pop-culture/

3 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

It is not, and we don't, but the incessant internet fandom has created a 24 hour obsession cycle that has degenerated "content" the same way the 24 hour news cycle degenerated "news". If you are a bunch of struggling fan site managers and content providers, you need to keep up a steady stream of "DID YOU KNOW???" content that brings in traffic, get them click advertising, etc.

Oh, totally. But why did it have to be propagated here? Are we also slaves to the obsessive 24 hour "content" cycle?

5 hours ago, Starlord said:

A fan theory about fan theorizing.  How ironic.

They always say that you know a news story has run its course when the reporters start doing stories on how they're reporting it.  This reminds me of that.

I posted a FB comment on a CBR thread, something about, "Save the spoilers, I'd actually like to see something new when I see it in the theater."   I was excoriated for it.  Guess I'm old but I don't understand wanting to be spoon-fed tidbits like a slavering dog.  Official trailers are enough, I can keep myself occupied with something else until the movie comes out.

12 hours ago, zslane said:

Why is this "news"? And why do we need to know this prior to seeing the movie?

Why is casting announcements news? Why is on-set photos news? Why is articles about the trailer news? Superhero film kreminology.

And Marvel Studios stated so (thus confirming the trailer kreminology) in EW which has a 40 page feature on celebrating MCU's 10 years & marketing Infinity War. Happy to post every reveal from the mag.