Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Bazza said:

Why is casting announcements news? Why is on-set photos news? Why is articles about the trailer news?

None of that is news in my view. It is merely information posing as news by sitting beneath a headline. I think we as a culture have lost sight of what constitutes "news". The traditional notions of journalism and newsworthiness have become largely extinct.

4 hours ago, zslane said:

None of that is news in my view. It is merely information posing as news by sitting beneath a headline. I think we as a culture have lost sight of what constitutes "news". The traditional notions of journalism and newsworthiness have become largely extinct.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

No, but I try to give most threads the benefit of the doubt that they won't be spammed by inconsequentia.

Sounds like a challenge to me. Challenge accepted. 

8 hours ago, Bazza said:

Sounds like a challenge to me. Challenge accepted. 

On hold at present as Cyclone Marcus, a category 1 storm is arriving tomorrow as per forcast by Aus Bureau of Meteroloogy.  

Refer to Other News thread. 

Still Josh Brolin with a funny chin, but whatever.  I love the Avengers theme, its the one movie they really got it right.  Its up there with Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but they never push it enough.  The second film hardly even used it.  You gotta celebrate your theme music, its like James Bond's theme.

Never will like Marvel acting like code names are something to be embarrased by and avoid as much as possible.

4 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

And people get his helmet... happy now?  (Though that is in the flashback, I think.)

Pretty damn cool, if you ask me. Going to be fun.

Marvel has previously stated that "Mr T" abandons his armour when he becomes a successful rock collector, as then, he no longer needs it. 

That's just a typical "our movies are realistic" contrivance. In the source material, costumes and powers are equally important to a character's design/identity, and also orthogonal elements when it comes to cosmic-level characters. In the comics, Jean Gray didn't ditch her Dark Phoenix costume once she had the power to consume suns, Galactus always wears his iconic armor and helmet, etc. It is obviously very important to Kevin Feige that we, the audience, never mistake the MCU for a "comic book universe".

Feige and company are making Ultimate Marvel Universe movies, not Marvel Universe movies.  Which gives me hope that at some point in the future we might see some classic Marvel stuff done, truer to the original vision of the creators than the hipster reboots.

In the source material, costumes and powers are equally important to a character's design/identity, and also orthogonal elements when it comes to cosmic-level characters.

I think its a branding mistake as well.  If you make an iconic, memorable and repeated costume, you make something you can put on tee shirts, costumes for Halloween, key chains, 'action figures' etc.  If Darth Vader kept taking his mask off and wearing bathrobes, he'd lose his menace but he'd also lose that marketable and distinctive, iconic image.  They're so busy trying to make regular dudes who are all ironic and think costumes are gayyyy and in the process harming their earning power and memorability.

There's a reason Iron Man stuff  is so popular and recognized, and its not because Tony Stark takes his helmet off or has an "inside the helmet" cam.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

It is obviously very important to Kevin Feige that we, the audience, never mistake the MCU for a "comic book universe".

Q: Is X-Men (2000) a comic book-y film? 

Let me rephrase the question: Does X-Men (2000) appeal to both comic book geeks and non-comic book geeks? 

To an extent, but First Class did a slightly better job with the look of the generic X-costume. Nevertheless, I think we can safely lay the blame for the black leather padded armor look right at the feet of Singer and the first X-Men movie. Those were "superhero costumes" in only the loosest sense.

Lauren Shuler Donner gave Kevin Feige his associate producer credit for X-Men (2000) due to his comic book knowledge that assisted production. From there he was involved in production X-Men trilogy, Hulk, Daredevil, Fantastic Four & sequel, Spider-Man trilogy, Amazing Spider-Man series, including a number of other Marvel films before the formation of Marvel Studios. 

Feige has the best job comic book geek wise, in which he has been able to bring the comic books he read as a kid to the big screen. 

To state that he doesn't understand comic book superhero is off base. His background and filmography prove this many times over. That we live in a Golden Age of superhero films is largely to to Kevin Feige (if anyone looked).

Thus the criticism is not objective but subjective, his superhero films don't align with an individual geeks (including me) perception of what the film should be. 

Your argument is that if they wore their costumes more the Marvel universe would be even more amazingly and unbelievably popular than it already Is?

...I thought I made my point pretty clear in plain English.  Do you work at BBC doing interviews?

They'd make more money from merchandising and character recognition by having more specific looks and outfits for their characters.  As evidenced by the success of Iron Man lookalike stuff (and to a lesser extent Spidey).

Is X-Men (2000) a comic book-y film?

Sort of.  But you probably are aware that's not an MCU Feige joint.  He was involved but not in charge nor was it Marvel Cinematic Universe.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

To an extent, but First Class did a slightly better job with the look of the generic X-costume. Nevertheless, I think we can safely lay the blame for the black leather padded armor look right at the feet of Singer and the first X-Men movie. Those were "superhero costumes" in only the loosest sense.

I'd lay that blame squarely on the audience.  When photos of the Shazam costume were posted there were immediate and deafening whines that it was too bright and gaudy and cartoonish.  I wish they would make up their damn minds.