Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain Marvel's going to be a Prequel?!

As I understand it, at least part of the film will be in the past.  How they'll square that circle with "wow there are now superheroes now when there never were any before except for Cap!" who knows.  That kind of consistency has never really been a bother with film makers, or comic book writers, for that matter.  How many 'this guy has always been around meddling with things, you just never heard of him until this issue' guys have they created?

12 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

As I understand it, at least part of the film will be in the past.  How they'll square that circle with "wow there are now superheroes now when there never were any before except for Cap!" who knows.  That kind of consistency has never really been a bother with film makers, or comic book writers, for that matter.  How many 'this guy has always been around meddling with things, you just never heard of him until this issue' guys have they created?

You mean like Ant-Man and the Wasp (who were active some years back according to the Ant-Man film)? 

Where they really cross the line would be very public Supers pre-Iron Man/Hulk, although I don't know that any of the movies have made a big deal of the shock and surprise of superheroes suddenly existing, so maybe they were always around, somewhere in the backstory we don't see on screen.

Hey, they have photos of Bigfoot and Nessie. That doesn't make folks any more believing in them. :P

Ant-Man and Wasp (the Pym generation) were both active into the 1980s according to the Ant-Man movie, but they were working clandestinely for SHIELD. (And if any supers can keep a low profile, it's them.) ;)

The MCU has had a very "low key" response to supers and aliens and gods, that make it feel like "super stuff" is at least accepted to an extent. Sure, a new Hero pops up ("Ok... I am Iron Man!") and it makes a big deal... but so do new Pop Stars or a big athletes in the real world, and we've had them before. This is a world that handled "the Event" from Avengers as another 9/11... not something that undermines fifty thousand years of religious and social dogma around humans being the center of the universe. Clearly this is a world where "out of this world" stuff is at least known. I'm sure it has its "chemtrails" and "false flag" crackpots as well, and those opinions of the Event or Sokovia would be interesting, I'm sure.

Ultimately, having heroes that have existed in the past that aren't well known or referenced every day is completely fine, IMO. Most people don't keep detailed records of every event that happened in the past, and if they were even mildly obscure, people could easily have overlooked or forgotten them.

Real world example... I was recently talking to a couple young women at work. In their 20's, smart, educated... and neither of them had ever HEARD OF the Beatles or U2.  I'm not saying they didn't listen to them... they had never HEARD OF THEM!

If it is possible for a generation in the US or UK to have no idea about two of the largest pop culture/rock bands ever to exist, it is easily possible for a series of off events twenty or more years ago to have been missed.

There are people who don't know about 9/11, or have very vague ideas about it at best.

IMO, it would be fully understandable for most people in the MCU to not have a super detailed history of every person in a costume for the past fifty plus years as a common reference point. Unless you spend time researching stuff, I'd say most people these days couldn't tell you much about the Syrian war, or the fascinating facts on the YPJ's role in battling Syrian rebels and Turkey, or the current War in Donbass, or the status of Brexit, or the Catalonia separatists... or even much about the shooting in Florida a few weeks ago and the resulting protests, etc.

The world is a big place, with a lot going on, people get on with their lives if not directly impacted, and it is very easy to not know a lot about the world. I'd assume the same is for the MCU.

I liked how they handled Jean Gray's return too, it was well done which is unusual in the realm of comic book resurrections.  The idea originally came from Mark Waid, if I recall correctly. 

But just having Nick Fury be physically enhanced in some way so he doesn't age normally worked fine.  It gave him a level of understanding and gravitas that was useful in the comics: he's been there.  He's done everything.

On 3/16/2018 at 4:17 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Feige and company are making Ultimate Marvel Universe movies, not Marvel Universe movies.  Which gives me hope that at some point in the future we might see some classic Marvel stuff done, truer to the original vision of the creators than the hipster reboots.

I'd argue that for most of the characters they're getting the classic core essence of the characters right even if some of the more cinematic trappings of the Ultimate Universe are being used on a superficial level. Nick Fury being the obvious exception. Steve Rogers, for example, may have Ultimate Cap's (better looking) outfit and superhuman power level, but his spirit is clearly that of the main continuity character who's been a symbol of integrity and moral uprightness since the 1940s, not the macho-belligerent jingoistic alternate version.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I liked how they handled Jean Gray's return too, it was well done which is unusual in the realm of comic book resurrections.  The idea originally came from Mark Waid, if I recall correctly.

And I hated it. I felt it cheapened the Phoenix's sacrifice by having it be a doppelganger rather than the original, letting Marvel Comics have their Phoenix cake and eat their Jean Grey cake too.

But then there are folks like you who praise the move, emphasizing once again that whether or not one person likes something has no inherent bearing on its quality.

21 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

And I hated it. I felt it cheapened the Phoenix's sacrifice by having it be a doppelganger rather than the original, letting Marvel Comics have their Phoenix cake and eat their Jean Grey cake too.

But then there are folks like you who praise the move, emphasizing once again that whether or not one person likes something has no inherent bearing on its quality.

Originally they weren't going to kill off Jean Grey but remove her mutant powers.  The then it was pointed out that she committed Genocide of an alien race so she had to go.

That left a huge gap in the team and story arch, and we ended up with Storm with a mohawk.