Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not happy they're going the Civil War path given how much I hated the comic version but...

After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team.

At least it looks like they might not set the New Warriors up for the fall this time.

Does no one else think that there are way too many superhero movies coming out? More to the point, they all kind of share the same feel, whereas character comics usually have a distinct feeling from one another.

Then again, the latter is a result of stacking their releases back-to-back.

I don't know, genre burn out is a possibility, but then, there's a lot of directions you can take superhero movies if you have the guts to, and if you have good scripts. That's one of the reasons its such a shame Green Lantern failed. WB tried something more lighthearted than its Batman movies... as would be fitting I think. Now the real problem was the script sucked big time, and we were given a yellow poo monster instead of a villain with personality. But WB learned the wrong message, thought they needed to be 'oh so serious' and now the DC heroes are in grim/dark mode, or so it seems for the movie plans.

Marvel's got a winning formula so far, but yes, the formula could get too repetitive. In some ways , I think Captain America is the odd man out as he's not 'lovable jerkass learns valuable moral lesson and saves the day' like Tony, arrogant Prince Thor, or even the GoTG. He starts out as a really decent NICE guy...and they just add abs. It actually made him stand out in my mind. Though I'm very pro Cap so biased.

I used to kind of like the first Iron Man movie, but I now heartily prefer the second Captain America movie above all others in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

As you say, the man is honestly outwardly decent and nice while still being a supremely capable combatant...which is shockingly rare with superheroes nowadays (yes, even Superman became significantly darker in his latest cinematic reboot).

P.S. I agree with you on the Green Lantern as well. Seeing how they botched Hal's first live-action outing was greatly disheartening. Think the character/film franchise will ever get a reboot :winkgrin: ?

I used to kind of like the first Iron Man movie, but I now heartily prefer the second Captain America movie above all others in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

As you say, the man is honestly outwardly decent and nice while still being a supremely capable combatant...which is shockingly rare with superheroes nowadays (yes, even Superman became significantly darker in his latest cinematic reboot).

P.S. I agree with you on the Green Lantern as well. Seeing how they botched Hal's first live-action outing was greatly disheartening. Think the character/film franchise will ever get a reboot :winkgrin: ?

I think the Winter Soldier is a perfect example of how varied superhero movies can be. Guardians of the Galaxy was fun sci fi, and Winter Soldier showed the other extreme by embracing the 'Conspiracy Spy Thriller' type movies.... both were 'superhero movies' but between them we really got a great showing of how varied the genre is.

Its clear they're trying to portray Scott Lang/Ant-Man as the redeemed rogue type, and that works for me, but I think the real tests will be Black Panther (Which has a good chance of having Pulp jungle elements only without a white guy as the hero ;) ) and maybe Captain Marvel! I don't see T'Challa as a 'lovable jerkass turned good guy' as they did 'arrogant royal punk' with younger Thor. Instead, we're liable to get some Hamlet mixed with aforementioned pulp and that could rock. Carol has, to my knowledge, never started as a jerk ass with a heart of gold... so she also will be filling a new character niche (or so I hope).

I LOVE Dr. Strange, but he's definitely a 'jerk gets redeemed story'

Can WB shake the gloom and doom? There's some hinting that they plan to end the Batman V Superman on a more optimistic note, but we'll see. Frankly, to my mind, their real success is on the small screen. Arrow and Flash have very different tones, and yet they've done a great job of being 'on the same world'. Maybe the DC movies will actually get the clue and follow that lead.

I think Marvel's going to stay strong for awhile though. Critics will whine about too many superhero movies, of course, and ignore the fact that action movies , rom-coms, and other genres aren't exactly treading new ground and haven't for many years, but the public still seems pleased and intrigued. It all depends on how many stumbles in succession if any Marvel/Disney hits.

We are getting a major infusion of new blood in the MCU, though. Vision and Scarlet Witch look to be a departure in character type. I would be surprised if Black Panther followed the above described formula, and astonished if Dr. Strange did.

Vision was different, but at the same time perfect imo. Seriously, they nailed what I felt was important about him. Could he hold his own movie? I doubt it, but I've been wrong before, but he was a great addition.

I'm mixed about Dr. Strange. I like the casting, but I worry the "Magic and Science are the same" angle they went with in Thor will end up meaning Dr. Strange will lose some of the Ditko "Wow" factor that I fell in love with . He's probably my favorite Mystic superhero but in the comics they don't always know what to do with him. Hopefully the writers will find a good balance.

I think the one that worries me the most IS CA: CW and that's because  of how badly burnt I was by the series as a fan. Which means it could be quite the smash hit, and I'll not be able to watch it all the way through despite that. I hope the creative team behind it doesn't go overboard on tarnishing the various superheroes involved.

Asking if there are too many superhero movies coming out is like asking if there are too many horror movies coming out. The answer will always come in the form of box office performance. As long as people show up and buy tickets, Hollywood will keep making them. On a more personal level, only you can answer that question for yourself; that is to say, maybe there are too many superhero movies coming out for you, because you have some sort of saturation point beyond which you are no longer capable of enjoying something. *shrug* As for myself, I have a limited capacity for bad movies, superhero or otherwise, but as long as they are well made I say keep 'em coming!

As for Dr. Strange, I think an amorphously defined "extradimensional energy" could bridge the gap between science and the supernatural. Clarke's Law and all that. I mean, if the energy that Strange draws from the Dark Dimension is called Dark Energy, then it seems to me it comfortably inhabits both realms at the same time. As long as they simply decline to explain things in physics terms, it'll feel adequately "magicky" for me. I mean let's face it, there's no way of explaining Scarlet Witch's powers without acknowledging that the pseudo-science used to describe it is actually "magic" (i.e., having nothing whatever to do with real physics) after all.

Asking if there are too many superhero movies coming out is like asking if there are too many horror movies coming out. The answer will always come in the form of box office performance. As long as people show up and buy tickets, Hollywood will keep making them. On a more personal level, only you can answer that question for yourself; that is to say, maybe there are too many superhero movies coming out for you, because you have some sort of saturation point beyond which you are no longer capable of enjoying something. *shrug* As for myself, I have a limited capacity for bad movies, superhero or otherwise, but as long as they are well made I say keep 'em coming!

As for Dr. Strange, I think an amorphously defined "extradimensional energy" could bridge the gap between science and the supernatural. Clarke's Law and all that. I mean, if the energy that Strange draws from the Dark Dimension is called Dark Energy, then it seems to me it comfortably inhabits both realms at the same time. As long as they simply decline to explain things in physics terms, it'll feel adequately "magicky" for me. I mean let's face it, there's no way of explaining Scarlet Witch's powers without acknowledging that the pseudo-science used to describe it is actually "magic" (i.e., having nothing whatever to do with real physics) after all.

Fair points.

For me,  I think I hit my limit on 'police procedural shows' years ago though if its really good or tweaked a lot I can make exceptions.

Its kind of a drawback with Captain America: he's so established, comfortable in himself, balanced, and mature that he doesn't have much growing or change to do.  So you have to put him in circumstances that challenge his worldview and force him to make hard choices, or at least shine as the one right guy in a terrible world of trouble which gives him a chance to lead others out of it.  That makes him... challenging, shall we say, for modern Hollywood writers to deal with.  That, and being a shining patriotic pro-America icon.

I'm mixed about Dr. Strange. I like the casting, but I worry the "Magic and Science are the same" angle they went with in Thor will end up meaning Dr. Strange will lose some of the Ditko "Wow" factor that I fell in love with . He's probably my favorite Mystic superhero but in the comics they don't always know what to do with him. Hopefully the writers will find a good balance.

I think the one that worries me the most IS CA: CW and that's because  of how badly burnt I was by the series as a fan. Which means it could be quite the smash hit, and I'll not be able to watch it all the way through despite that. I hope the creative team behind it doesn't go overboard on tarnishing the various superheroes involved.

Honestly, when I hear discussions of contemporary theoretical physics, it sounds more like magic to me than science. :think:

I was thinking about that synopsis for Civil War, and it occurred to me that, as an attempt to establish an oversight for the Avengers, and the way the cinematic characters have been portrayed to date, Tony Stark and Steve Rogers might actually take the reverse positions to what they did in the comics. Tony always goes his own way and thinks he knows best -- even creating Ultron didn't change that. He doesn't respond well to authority and distrusts government. He famously boasted that he "privatized peace." Until recently Steve always worked within the system. He's a team player who respects the chain of command, and he doesn't believe anyone is above the law. If this "international incident" with the Avengers happened on his watch, I could see him being receptive to an overseeing authority.

Except you have to remember what Tony said in Iron Man.

Tony Stark: I never got to say goodbye to my father. There's questions I would've asked him. I would've asked him how he felt about what his company did, if he was conflicted, if he ever had doubts. Or maybe he was every inch of man we remember from the newsreels. I saw young Americans killed by the very weapons I created to defend them and protect them. And I saw that I had become part of a system that is comfortable with zero-accountability.

Press Reporter #1: Mr. Stark! What happened over there?

Tony Stark: I had my eyes opened. I came to realize that I had more to offer this world than just making things that blow up. And that is why, effective immediately, I am shutting down the weapons manufacturing division of Stark Industries.

Its kind of a drawback with Captain America: he's so established, comfortable in himself, balanced, and mature that he doesn't have much growing or change to do.  So you have to put him in circumstances that challenge his worldview and force him to make hard choices, or at least shine as the one right guy in a terrible world of trouble which gives him a chance to lead others out of it.  That makes him... challenging, shall we say, for modern Hollywood writers to deal with.  That, and being a shining patriotic pro-America icon.

Cap's patriotism is rooted in principles rather than policies, though -- there is a lot you can do with that.

Unless you are a Hollywood writer who, statistically speaking, nuance is completely lost on.

Yes. I found your avatar change startling and inexplicable. Or, at least, unexplained.

Well, my life and the lives of some loved ones have shall we say taken some dark and depressing twists in the last two years, souring me a bit with more cynicism. (Nothing I can talk about, sadly. Much of it isn't my right to tell). Cap can rise above that, it's one thing I admire about him, but I've lost a bit of my own idealism so the avatar feels less me.

I switched to Nightwing for a less serious reason. he's one of my characters in the superdraft arena battles going on. He ended up voted on last season to retain, so this season I suppose he's my mascot. Whether I'll keep him or not after I'm undecided on. :)

Speaking of Cap, the list of characters in CW seems to have been announced.  I think it has more Avengers on it than AoU.

I heard that too. It's looking pretty darn crowded.

Well, my life and the lives of some loved ones have shall we say taken some dark and depressing twists in the last two years, souring me a bit with more cynicism. (Nothing I can talk about, sadly. Much of it isn't my right to tell). Cap can rise above that, it's one thing I admire about him, but I've lost a bit of my own idealism so the avatar feels less me.

Fair enough. I certainly know what it feels like to find one's idealism replaced by cynicism.

I hope some light shines for you and some of your optimism is restored.

Does no one else think that there are way too many superhero movies coming out? More to the point, they all kind of share the same feel, whereas character comics usually have a distinct feeling from one another.

Then again, the latter is a result of stacking their releases back-to-back.

The popularity of the superhero films of recent years (decade) reminds me of the popularity of the westerns. Arguably the start of their mainstream popularity was John Wayne's The Big Trail in 1930 with continuous Westerns made up to the 60s--The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was released in 1962. The first Spaghetti Western which revived the genre arguably A Fistful of Dollars was made in 1964. 

My point is that at least from the 1930s to the 60s Hollywood produced lots and lots of films in the Western genre, with many of the big name actors starring in them. I see little difference with that period and today with the superhero films, since X-Men was released in 2000. We could be seeing superhero films for the next 10 to 15 years, maybe longer, maybe less.