Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

That would have been pretty awesome but very unlikely since they were on different networks (NBC vs CBS).  I know multi-network crossovers have happened more recently with shows like Flash and Supergirl but CBS owns a chunk of CW.  NBC and CBS had little imagination or incentive to work together on such a neat idea back in the day.

:)

HM

That's kinda why I wanted it to be a movie, rather than a show episode.  I heard that Bellisario tried to have Sam leap into Magnum during the actual TV series, but it didn't happen for some reason.

Edit:  Well, also because a movie would allow them to cover both halves (Magnum working with Al, and Sam working with Magnum's pals) without it feeling rushed.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wanted to see a Quantum Leap movie where Sam leaps into Thomas Magnum (of Magnum PI), imagining it as Magnum helping Al solve a murder or other crime at the Quantum Leap facility while Sam works with Rick, TC, and Higgins to solve a crime in Hawaii.  Since both series were created by Donald Bellisario, I thought it would be a natural pairing of shows.

There was one in planning before QL was cancelled. Sam would have leapt into Tom Selleck during the filming of a Magnum P.I. episode.

Also the character Selleck played on two episodes of The Rockford Files, the annoyingly perfect Lance White was a major help for him later landing the role of Magnum.

I guess I'm the only one who feels that 99% of crossovers (from different franchises) are poorly conceived, and, 99% of the time poorly executed. The only way to make a crossover like that work is to lampshade the entire thing on some level. One of the best examples I can think of is the crossover issue where Cerebus the Aardvark encountered the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Needless to say Cerebus was not amused by the whole affair, and it only really worked because he essentially had the same attitude that the readers did (and were expected to have).

You're not the only one.  The majority of crossovers are stunt writing that ultimately detracts from both properties.  In real life, however, crossovers entertain the masses, and they also appeal to risk-averse executives who see such works as having two built-in fan bases.  I have other things upon which to expend my outrage.

That's kinda why I wanted it to be a movie, rather than a show episode.  I heard that Bellisario tried to have Sam leap into Magnum during the actual TV series, but it didn't happen for some reason.

But who would he be?  Having him turn into Magnum would be awesome, since it would give Selleck a great chance to show off his acting chops (better than he's given credit for).  I mean I guess he could jump into Higgins, which would be hilarious