Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three announced

• Please log in to reply
2776 replies to this topic

#2761 Grailknight

Grailknight

Powerful Hero

• 1,038 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:16 AM

As I remember it's Celestial/Eternal tech if anything.

#2762 Greywind

Greywind

Triple Millennial Master

• 10,131 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

Weren't the Inhumans and Eternals products of Kree meddling?

With your shield or on it.

"The laws of celestial mechanics dictate that when two objects collide, there is always damage of a collateral nature." ~ Prof. Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

"It's like switching from an action thriller RIGHT when it all goes to hell and you don't know if they live and someone walks in and changes the channel to Gilmore Girls." ~ my Muse about my writing. :)

Greywind's Characters

Snippets

Business Unfinished

Reaffirmation Day

#2763 Iuz the Evil

Iuz the Evil

Evil Demigod

• 3,776 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

From Wikipedia:

Technology base
Due to its isolation and intentional isolationism, Wakandan technology has, until recently, developed entirely independently of that of the rest of the world. As such, the design philosophies and methodologies are different, and often incompatible, with conventional equipment. Wakanda is the world's most technologically advanced country. For example, Wakandan computer technology is much more powerful than that of the rest of the world, and is completely immune to outside hacking, as it is not based on binary electronics; it can, however, emulate the behavior of such electronics at hugely enhanced efficiencies, allowing it to easily hack almost any conventional system. Vibranium was used liberally in Wakandan tech, but the recent destruction of all Vibranium has forced large-scale redesigns.
  • Tjack likes this
"Elections have consequences." -John McCain "Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. Because it's only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential." -Barack Obama

#2764 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,438 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

I figured that vibranium is the enabling device for Wakandan technology, rather than magic or aliens. "The most versatile substance on the planet," as cinematic Ultron put it. I guess it's like, what if there was only one country in the world that had petroleum?

However, I doubt that MCU Wakanda's science has evolved entirely independently from the rest of the world, which has obviously heard of it, although not the truth of it. I'm sure Wakandans have studied in other countries before this.

"Progress becomes much easier when it can be tied to greed or the desire to stick it to somebody else."

- Dean Shomshak

#2765 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 5,543 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

Yeah Vibranium is the source of their tech, I'm pretty sure.  But you know, that's probably been rewritten 3 or 4 times since I last read about Wakanda decades ago. Now its probably transgender mice or something.

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Jolrhos Bestiary Monster Pack for Hero Designer

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more

#2766 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,630 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Weren't the Inhumans and Eternals products of Kree meddling?

Only Inhumans. Eternals were created as an offshoot of humanity by the Celestials.
I'm gonna live forever. So far so good.
Ne'er will the light of liberty and wisdom be extinguished

"And if I don't hang around, our old gambling grounds, it does not mean that I've forgotten, we believed, and I still do" -- Don Walker of Cold Chisel

#2767 zslane

zslane

The Monster From the Clock

• 2,346 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:22 PM

So they're going with the intriguing notion of parallel development. That is certainly plausible up to a point. But it doesn't explain the existence of large industry and a high wealth state economy while being isolationist. The difficulty of maintaining a smooth flow of trade with other nations when you never allow them (or their goods) onto your lands is problematic. You need a complex network of external shipping and storage depots, which need constant security, etc. Not to mention all the raw materials (and the labor force) needed to build everything "the most advanced society on Earth" needs. You can't acquire those things by simply sending out emissaries now and then.

#2768 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 5,543 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

Yeah none of it really makes sense in the end, but it makes for an interesting place, and helps explain how he's got an even better Iron Man suit.

• bigdamnhero likes this

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Jolrhos Bestiary Monster Pack for Hero Designer

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more

#2769 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,438 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:27 PM

Yeah Vibranium is the source of their tech, I'm pretty sure.  But you know, that's probably been rewritten 3 or 4 times since I last read about Wakanda decades ago. Now its probably transgender mice or something.

"What do you want to do tonight, Brain?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky -- try to steal all the vibranium in Wakanda!"

• BoloOfEarth likes this

"Progress becomes much easier when it can be tied to greed or the desire to stick it to somebody else."

- Dean Shomshak

#2770 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,438 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

So they're going with the intriguing notion of parallel development. That is certainly plausible up to a point. But it doesn't explain the existence of large industry and a high wealth state economy while being isolationist. The difficulty of maintaining a smooth flow of trade with other nations when you never allow them (or their goods) onto your lands is problematic. You need a complex network of external shipping and storage depots, which need constant security, etc. Not to mention all the raw materials (and the labor force) needed to build everything "the most advanced society on Earth" needs. You can't acquire those things by simply sending out emissaries now and then.

Well, the Chinese imperial government created designated trading centers on the fringes of their territory, and an elaborate mercantile bureaucracy, specifically to keep the "barbarians" they traded with from penetrating their society. Perhaps Wakanda has a similar arrangement to keep outsiders at arm's length. They may even use their neighbors as intermediaries, or only trade with partners they trust. It might also make a difference as to how collectivized the labor force is in terms of sharing the wealth, and how motivated they are to make sacrifices for the common good. Post-WW II Japan was notable for the willingness of its populace to put rebuilding their country ahead of their own comfort.

Depending on how "versatile" vibranium turns out to be, Wakanda may not even need many of the goods the outside world considers essential.

- Dean Shomshak

#2771 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,232 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

Young T'Challa: I don't want to eat my veggies!

Nanny: Boy! There are starving children in Ethiopia, and here you sit, a Prince, wasting good food!

Young T'Challa: Well, we could send it to the Ethiopian children if we weren't an isolationist regime!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#2772 Matt the Bruins

Matt the Bruins

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 1,152 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:38 AM

Only Inhumans. Eternals were created as an offshoot of humanity by the Celestials.

IIRC, the Kree actually got the idea after an encounter with the Eternals.

• drunkonduty likes this

#2773 Ranxerox

Ranxerox

It's An Android Thing

• 2,493 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

I'm pretty sure I've seen a comic story discussed that revealed Wakanda had a wide-spectrum cure for cancer and was withholding it from the rest of the world to stick it to The Man, or somesuch. Nevermind that I'm pretty sure cancer is a problem for native African populations as well as European colonial powers.

That is not exactly true.  The offered it to the rest of world at price, and the rest of the world has so far not chosen to pay.  However, since the rest of the world may in time change its position on this, it makes sense for Wakanda to hold out on the offer.

RJM Hughes: We Remember Colin Hotnit: We Remember

#2774 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,630 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

IIRC, the Kree actually got the idea after an encounter with the Eternals.

Most likely. I'd have to check the Handbook of Marvel Universe. 

"And if I don't hang around, our old gambling grounds, it does not mean that I've forgotten, we believed, and I still do" -- Don Walker of Cold Chisel

#2775 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,630 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Here’s Why Edgar Wright Didn’t Make Marvel’s Ant-Man
http://screenrant.co...marvel-ant-man/

#2776 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,630 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:30 PM

Every Marvel Character You’ll See In Avengers: Infinity War
http://screenrant.co...r-hero-villain/

#2777 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,630 posts

Posted Today, 02:29 AM

Spider-Man: Homecoming Early Reactions – A Fun Wall-Crawling Adventure
http://screenrant.co...ctions-critics/