Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three announced

• Please log in to reply
3059 replies to this topic

#3041 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,503 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

Actually, I think Luke is angry, just controls it. Either way, it does kind of flip the dynamic between him and Danny awkwardly.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#3042 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,734 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

Well, Marvel Netflix weren't going to match those characters before the Defenders team-up. If they wanted an angry hothead to play against, they already have Jessica Jones.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

- Maya Angelou

#3043 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 42,002 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:10 PM

Yeah, for Luke specifically, it seems as though his powers were tangentially linked to his anger level.  Then again that does seem like it would just make him a miniHulk. 

IMO Iron Fist should have been a lot like the old Kung Fu series--a young man with a really weird upbringing trying to apply his academic wisdom and idealism to real life.  If you think about it, he'd be a West Coast hippie who happens to know kung fu, in a decidedly hippie-unfriendly environment.

...and that's when the destruction began.

#3044 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,503 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

I still haven't seen it, but that sounds like a better idea for handling him than what I've heard of the series.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#3045 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 43,093 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:21 PM

Why couldn't Iron Fist (still haven't seen) be more like a Bruce Lee film (eg The Big Boss) but as a serial. I also like Old Man's idea above of a West Coast hippie.
I'm gonna live forever. So far so good.
Ne'er will the light of liberty and wisdom be extinguished

"And if I don't hang around, our old gambling grounds, it does not mean that I've forgotten, we believed, and I still do" -- Don Walker of Cold Chisel

#3046 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 6,027 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

Daredevil even stole Iron Fist's mask style for most of DD's first season.  And they seem determined to avoid anything remotely wild or supernatural, so they couldn't do any wild martial arts stuff like balancing on a leaf or running on the walls.  In the end, Iron Fist gets nothing but a glowy hand.

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Two Kings Keep

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more                               Kestrel Arts on Twitter                           Kestrel Arts on Facebook

#3047 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,734 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

You know, that's a really good point. Netflix Daredevil is about as highly-trained as you can get, but even he's depicted as more of a brawler than the graceful acrobatic fighter we know from comics. This corner of the MCU may have painted itself into a corner as far as the level of superhero martial arts they can depict. Really, the only MCU non-powered fighter whose style reflects their comics source is Black Widow.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

- Maya Angelou

#3048 DasBroot

DasBroot

Bat-Noogier

• 1,135 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

Well, their budget isn't astronomical - it's probably easier to train people to look like they're doing a decent job in a fight than to wire-fu or CGI them into doing things that are only really possible for 'normal' humans in comic book: Brawler who does Parkour will have to do.

I don't mind the minimalist approach to their super hero shows as long as the writing and acting is ok - to me it just keeps them closer to 'street level'.

(It's why I appreciated Purple Man as Jessica Jones' adversary - not only is it a classical mental villain vs physical hero but it's CHEAP.  No fancy special effects on the mind controls and with mostly normal humans for the fight scenes Jessica didn't need to display super strength at comic levels - less lifting cars over your head and throwing them, more seeing tires squeal as the car fails to move.)

• slikmar, GM Joe and bigdamnhero like this

"I threw a rock at him!"

*silence*

".... it was a *big* rock."

#3049 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 6,027 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:09 PM

I do respect the budget idea and the need to keep things as low cost as possible but... they're hurting themselves in terms of options and characterization.  Plus, it feels less like a comic book world than a bad part of a city with some of those costume wearing vigilantes.  Two meh martial artists and two strong people doesn't exactly stand out in terms of an interesting cast.

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Two Kings Keep

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more                               Kestrel Arts on Twitter                           Kestrel Arts on Facebook

#3050 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 42,002 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

You're welcome.

• pinecone and Cassandra like this
...and that's when the destruction began.

#3051 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,821 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:23 PM

These are the Defenders:

defendershomage.jpg

:)
HM

#3052 massey

massey

Powerful Hero

• 2,441 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

I've got one episode of Defenders left. I like it so far, but it has really pointed out how much more interesting a character Matt Murdoch is versus Danny Rand.

By far, the most compelling characters in Iron Fist were Ward and Dad Meachum. It's too bad they couldn't reappear here.

#3053 GM Joe

GM Joe

• 715 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

Ward did have a good character arc in season 1 of Iron Fist. Without that, the season would have been much less worth watching.

GMing since 1982.

#3054 zslane

zslane

The Monster From the Clock

• 2,531 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

When you hear there's going to be a series about The Immortal Iron Fist, you don't expect to get The Ward Meachum Story. Marvel simply told the wrong story. Period. The fact that it had a very good actor playing (what should have been) a relatively minor secondary role does not change that one bit.

• Nolgroth and Christopher R Taylor like this

#3055 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,597 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

As far as the overall story, I enjoyed it. I still think the best character, in terms of classical character growth cycle, was Ward. He was a much more interesting character than Danny, which is part of the problem. Danny should have been the spotlight character....

When you hear there's going to be a series about The Immortal Iron Fist, you don't expect to get The Ward Meachum Story. Marvel simply told the wrong story. Period. The fact that it had a very good actor playing (what should have been) a relatively minor secondary role does not change that one bit.

I think we are in agreement there. :)

#3056 slikmar

slikmar

Sarcastic B@st@rd

• 2,913 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

Funny thing about the series, Danny always came across as believing his martial prowess was what it is in the comic. Just the choreography didn't live up to it, and i will always wonder about that. Was it due to the Choreogropher, time or money that it came across that way.

Court Death all you want, just make sure you keep your mistress, Lady Luck, happy. Quote from my brother "Wait, , she (his girlfriend) doesn't know that you are a cynical, sarcastic b*s*a*d".

Pawns of Fate, web comic done by my brother: http://pawnsoffatecomic.weebly.com/

#3057 DasBroot

DasBroot

Bat-Noogier

• 1,135 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

I think It's the choreography combined with the fact that the actor himself has said that he fairly frequently didn't feel he was given enough time / takes to get it down. 

It's probably why he's a 'better' fighter in the Defenders - practice and a much higher demand on the choreography all around.

Problem with that is since it's the same choreography team and the actors are not martial artists outside of the show that he and Daredevil's fighting styles look the same and are performed at about the same level of competence - so there's not much to separate them besides brawler with a glowing fist and brawler with super hearing.  

I did like that Jessica basically sucked in every fight - contributing mostly with strategic sucker punches or making people who grabbed her have a very bad day (both very much in show-character)  - she's an actual untrained brawler with not much more than normal human durability in the show - so the 'Am I the only one left in the city who doesn't know Karate?' line held true.  Maybe Matt or Danny will give her a few pointers before Jessica Jones season 2 / Defenders season 2.

"I threw a rock at him!"

*silence*

".... it was a *big* rock."

#3058 bigdamnhero

bigdamnhero

Don't try this at home!

• 6,209 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

How did Marvel let Inhumans be released into IMAX theaters looking like this?

"This was like announcing you’re going to release a big new action spectacle on IMAX theaters, then screening an unreleased episode of Manimal, but without the quality writing."

Ouch. Just, seriously, ouch.

• Christopher R Taylor likes this
"If I ever decide to kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

#3059 Cassandra

Cassandra

The Supreme Know It All!

• 4,560 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

You're welcome.

He was the best Nick Fury.

"KITT was a Cylon."

#3060 Greywind

Greywind

Triple Millennial Master

• 10,343 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

They should have him show up in the movies as the current Fury's dad.

With your shield or on it.

"The laws of celestial mechanics dictate that when two objects collide, there is always damage of a collateral nature." ~ Prof. Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

"It's like switching from an action thriller RIGHT when it all goes to hell and you don't know if they live and someone walks in and changes the channel to Gilmore Girls." ~ my Muse about my writing. :)

Greywind's Characters

Snippets

Business Unfinished

Reaffirmation Day