Which Turakian country

RavensPath

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of starting an episodic Fantasy Hero game where the players are part of an elite force for the government doing a variety of things such as courier, scouting, leading battles, special ops missions.

What countries in the Turakian setting would you suggest this to be based in?

Thanks.

This depends on a lot of things.  What races you want available to the players may influence your choice (or what races you want to be the villains, if all Orcs are "evil" you probably don't want the campaign near Thordar and the civilized Orcs).  If you want to avoid as much work as possible by using the setting mostly "as is" you can choose a country that is currently in, or soon to be in, conflict with a neighbor that you feel is "in the wrong".  If your ultimate goal is for this elite team to go beat Kal-Turak himself you could start pretty much anywhere depending on how much traveling and diplomacy you want to deal with along the way.

I'm just reading through the book myself now, but someplace in the Westerlands seems like a good bet.  You have several nations getting ready to make a power/land grab, every major race is available (although some of the lesser races might not be), a nation of Trolls, a nation of Drakine, the largest Elven nation, plus sea and lake focused nations and human barbarian populations.  Most any traditional/"classic" fantasy game could fit in the Westerlands.

Look into Tatha Gorel, the realm of the mighty dragon, Scauramdrax the Manificent.

Not the first or only Human city to be ruled by a dragon, but unique in that the Humans still live there by choice and like having a dragon for a king. Plenty of other people live there as well, especially Drakine. Scaaurumdrax is wise and far-seeing, and his agents could plausibly be dispatched far afield on errands ranging from the gloriously honorable to the mysteriously secret.

Lucius Alexander

Like the palindromedary, the servants of Scauromdrax are always coming and going

I started a set of PDF for introducing players to HERO and write up some starting characters along with a couple adventures and posted them on this board a while back.

You could review that and see if it inspires any ideas.

I will link it if I can find it later.

I developed a campaign concept stressing politics, intrigue, and secret missions, based in the Turakian Age realm I thought best suited to it, Besruhan, in Mhorecia. I posted a thread in the FH forum describing the concept, why and how Besruhan would work as the home base for it, ways to adapt the campaign to other settings, plus a large number of plot seeds.

Besruhan Intrigues

Another possibility would be the small kingdom of Mezendria, in the Westerlands. It shares borders with the aggressive, expansionistic kingdom of Keldravia; the major powers Umbr and Khirkovy; and the Troll kingdom of Tharnrek, which may soon gain a much more aggressive and ambitious king. Mezendria is also very close to the Snowthorn Mountains, and would have to deal with raids from hostile Orcs and the savage Trusca barbarians. It seems like a place with many opportunities for adventurers.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking that the former kingdom of Khepras, in northern Khoria, would have a lot of potential for a campaign such as you envision. This large realm was reduced to lawlessness and chaos after a war with the neighboring empire of Vashkor destroyed any central authority in Khepras. Various minor nobles and warlords have proclaimed their own "kingdoms," the large cities each claim to be the new "capital," and bandits and humanoids roam the land making travel and trade perilous.

Your PCs could be agents of one of the stronger leaders who is trying to restore order by forging alliances and bringing more territory under his/her control.

Or you just serve Kal-Turak.

You know, for anyone who wanted to play a villain-based campaign, that's actually a great idea. Kal-Turak has schemes running all over the known world of Ambrethel, to forge alliances and weaken or subvert his enemies preparatory to his campaign for world conquest. He already has elite lieutenants who are formidable foes in their own rights. A globe-trekking fantasy "black ops" team certainly wouldn't be out of the question.

You could even do it with a non-villian-based team, if the PCs didn't know at first who they really served. It could make of an interesting twist partway through the campaign when they worked out who was really pulling the strings: presumably, they would then have some motivation (and the contacts/insights) to fix any problems they had themselves caused and also to thwart Kal-Turak's ongoing plans.

cheers, Mark