Champions Powers

Coriendal

Just got back into this after a long time.  Haven't played since 1st edition.

Right now I have Champions Complete, 5th edition Universe, with Villains 1 and 2 on the way.  I plan on getting Villains 3 shortly.

My question is what benefit would I get from Champions Powers and how good is the Hero designer software?

Also considering getting the Magic bundle and Viper/UNTIL books from 5th edition, good source material?

Thanks, Dan

The Champions Powers book and Character Pack are extremely useful with tons of pre-made powers that you can just insert or tweak to your liking. I think every power has multiple levels also. 

Hero Designer is invaluable for creating characters. Especially with the different character packs you can get for it. Both 5th and 6th are supported. My advice would be to get the Champions Powers Character Pack along with HD when you do get it. 

Welcome back.

I agree with rjd59 that Hero Designer is invaluable. You can still build characters the old-fashioned way, but it's just so much easier to build and modify them on the computer.

Champions powers is a great starting point for pick-and-choose powers. And, again like rjd59 said, you can tweak them to match what you want. Or just use them as inspiration as you get into the new version of the rules.

You can use all of the old 5E books as source material. There are 2 magic bundles that I know are in the store, so I don't know which specific books you're looking at. 

Thanks for the quick replies.  The bundle I was looking at had Magical Adversaries, Demon, Mystic World and Ultimate Mystic.  For $25 it looks like a great deal.  So, it looks like Hero Designer, Viper and the Bundle plus Powers and Villains 3 to round out my pick ups for the near future.

Any other source books look good for the future?  Favorites or just ones that fill in the world or help out would be nice.

Follow up question.  The Villains Hero Designer files for $14-15 each for Villains 1-3, is the only difference whether or not I am willing to input the 300 villains into the program and save them for future use?  I will bite the bullet to save $44 plus if all I need to do is input 300 villains into the program.

I purchased the Champions Power Hero Designer pack.  I was very disappointed at the quality of work on a lot of it.  There are entire chapters that are simply missing from the pack.  There is no standardization of how content is to be displayed.  It comes across very haphazard and I was surprised that I was being charged for it.