Bending Powers in Hero

kjandreano

How would you make Bending Powers like in the Avatar series (Last Airbender and Legend of Korra) in Hero 6th edition?

Chi-Blocking and Spiritual Powers too. I'm starting to come up with ideas for this myself, but want to see other GMs take on it.

I'm thinking all such abilities would be pre-made (to enforce genre) and the players would pick what they want for their PC.

The whole universe has a super-hero feel to it, but with very specific powers that work in specific ways. Any design help is welcome!

When I tried to do a Last Air Bender styled game we choose to only have one power.

TK, with a -1/2 limitation for limited to only one element.

Then the player bought martial arts with weapon element X-Bending.

It really held the flavor for the root powers. The other powers are usually pretty unique and built one off.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the thing you need to keep in mind, with Avatar, unless you are building a VERY alternative universe( as I do). Is that you want to focus on the powers they come in a bout two shades:

Blast, Surround, Entrap, but have kind as someone else '1 off powers', or subset powers:

Healing for Water benders- who can Blood Bend (whether its a bloodline, or a particular subset both series aren't clear: Katara LEARNED to do it, but in Korra its covered as it seemes to be somewhat genetic (atleast being able to do it at will without the full moon).

Lighting Bending for Fire Benders... seems to be  more practice.. and ability to convert.

But  Earth Benders have two subset : Lava & Metal, both of which seem to have a kind of 'talent' component.

Airbenders- Seem to get sprituality/awarenes. ( Aaang 's energy bending seems to be a Gift from the Lion Turtle, and we've never actually seen Korra do it, though she should know how- because she was Aang's life at somepoint.

Now Chi-Blocking that seems to be another thing all together...  It seems to be more skill than an ability, so maybe a Talent."

I would suggest to build a bunch of powers similiar to skills. Beginning characters buy individual bending powers but masters buy a vpp with cosmic advatage to change powers phase to phase.

All bending has to take the gestures lim. Water bending has a focus lim.-needs water. Also I wouldnt worry about the moon. That should be a plot point. (-1/4)

Fire bending has no focus lim. Neither does air.

Earth bending would have a minor lim. connection to earth. (-1/4)

Each bender would have a power skill: bending and perhaps ks: bending martial art. If you remember each art visually was based on a different real world martial art.

I would take a cue from fantasy hero 4th and have basic, college (advanced) and unique. You could build all basic bending attacks as energy blast-fire and air would be energy and water and earth would be physical.

Oh and I would start building the four major bending arts just to get a feel for how you want each art to interact then the more obscure ones should fall into place.

I would suggest to build a bunch of powers similiar to skills. Beginning characters buy individual bending powers but masters buy a vpp with cosmic advatage to change powers phase to phase.

All bending has to take the gestures lim. Water bending has a focus lim.-needs water. Also I wouldnt worry about the moon. That should be a plot point. (-1/4)

Fire bending has no focus lim. Neither does air.

Earth bending would have a minor lim. connection to earth. (-1/4)

Each bender would have a power skill: bending and perhaps ks: bending martial art. If you remember each art visually was based on a different real world martial art.

Fire bending requires a fire source for most benders. That's why they always have a bunch of sources around. Later in the original series, Aang and Zuko learned from the dragons how to summon fire from within.

And just to be accurate, air-bending requires air, but it would be a -0 unless you plan to have a lot of adventures underwater.

Fire bending requires a fire source for most benders. That's why they always have a bunch of sources around. Later in the original series, Aang and Zuko learned from the dragons how to summon fire from within.

And just to be accurate, air-bending requires air, but it would be a -0 unless you plan to have a lot of adventures underwater.

Have you actually watched the show, because this is blatantly wrong? Every single firebender in the show produces their own fire. There is literally hundreds of examples throughout the series of people fire bending with no fire source. Easy example: Zuko up to his neck in arctic water uses fire bending to melt through the ice. He didn't have a fire source hidden in his clothes under water.

Have you actually watched the show, because this is blatantly wrong? Every single firebender in the show produces their own fire. There is literally hundreds of examples throughout the series of people fire bending with no fire source. Easy example: Zuko up to his neck in arctic water uses fire bending to melt through the ice. He didn't have a fire source hidden in his clothes under water.

Yes I watched it. I'm not going to argue with you as it's pointless.

Zuko had always drawn on his anger to fuel his fire bending. Once he got over his anger issues he had trouble fire bending and the dragons taught them a more balanced way that wasn't dependent on emotion like passion or anger.

None of that changes the fact the fire benders produce their own fire throughout the entire series. Iron even talks about how the energy comes from the sea of chi in your belly when trying to teach him to shoot lightning.

The only time fire benders are ever shown to need preexisting fire is in the horrible live action movie.

Edit: I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just seriously confused on how there can be confusion about this.