Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason S.Walters

New Kickstarter Project: Larger Than Life: Tall Tale Adventures

On Thursday the 29th of January Blackwyrm Publishing will launch a new Kickstarter project: Larger Than Life: Tall Tale Adventures! We've made a preview available for your consideration. To view it, click HERE.

Heroes, villains, legends … the folklore of America features all of this and more. In this volume you will find pirates and soldiers, lumberjacks and steel drivers, mountain men and lawmen, cowboys, Indians, inventors, and eccentrics. All of whom are just waiting to be included in your roleplaying game campaign! And don’t let the time period fool you, just because these characters existed in the 18th and 19th Centuries, doesn't mean you can’t use them in your pulp, superhero, fantasy, or even science fiction campaigns! After all, these characters are Larger Than Life!

"So, Paul Bunyan, John Henry, Pecos Bill, Davy Crockett, and Annie Okaley walk into a bar..."

"Sure, that's impressive, but let me tell you about that time that I..."

Larger Than Life features 20 archetypes, ranging from Blackbeard the Pirate to the man who invented the 20th Century: Nikola Tesla. In addition, there are a total of 24 full character sheets, each with a detailed history and description of the character in question. But that’s not all! You also get over 124 biographies of other people related to each archetype, as well as six famous ocean-going ships, famous outlaw gangs, Paul Bunyan’s entire logging gang, and innumerable other historical tidbits. Each archetype also comes with at least one template, allowing you to build your own version of that archetype. So what are you waiting for? Dive in and start discovering those tidbits of American history you never new existed. But watch your step, because after all, these characters are… Larger Than Life!

This groundbreaking 240 page, black-and-white paperback book was previously printed in an extremely limited ashcan edition of two dozen copies at GenCon 2014 for the Hero System. Due to popular demand, Blackwyrm Publishing is dedicated to releasing three new editions: one for Savage Worlds (book dimensions 9.61 x 6.69), one for Mutants & Masterminds (9.69 x 7.44), and another new edition for Hero System (11 x 8.5). With new artwork, new layout, and new systems, your campaign can be larger than ever!

LTL.jpg

First of all, the Larger Than Life Kickstarter project is live here.

Scott: you get a version of the book that has been completely professionally redone. New cover, a new interior layout by Ruben Smith-Zempel (Champions Complete, Fantasy Hero Complete, and Monster Hunter International), and a bit more content. Plus I'll make the Hero Designer files available.

Now here's the thing - and I'm going to lay it on the line to all of you here on the Hero Games website. Many of you have contacted me and expressed your desire to have more Hero System books released each year. At the moment I can't promise more than one annually from Hero Games itself, and it will seldom be a "little" (if you will excuse the phrase) book like Larger Than Life. It's pretty much always going to be a core book like Champions Complete. Which leaves a lot of great supplements unpublished.  

So I'm using a company I co-own to attempt to release more Hero System content for you: exactly as you've asked me to. I'm using the same layout person Hero uses, and one of the same authors. It's pretty much the same crew you expect to create official Hero System products, only employed by a different company. So if you are one of the many people who is unhappy with the limited number of Hero System products released each year, than you need to back this project. Because it's a test case, and I'm not going to do any more of them if this one doesn't succeed.

It's a good book by a good author. You'll like it. And I'm sincerely grateful to the 20 or so of you that have backed the Hero System version of the book already. But that number needs to be more like a total of 60 Hero System backers (combined with equal numbers from other systems) for us to pull it off. That's not a lot of people, really. At least that many of you have complained about there not being enough recently published products for the Hero System on this forum alone. So if this is something you guys and gals are really serious about - and you've repeatedly said you are - then go over there and back Michael's book.

Do it for the him. Do it for me. Do it for the gold-and-blue hexman in your hearts.

Add-ons would be helpful. I'd like to get all three in PDF, but I only want the HD file and a printed Hero version.

Could you include some add-on options? Offering backstock items at a reduced price as an add-on maybe?

I just realized something a little odd about the top end rewards. You can get a signed, numbered book for one of the systems, but you can't get signed ones for all three, just three books. Or am I missing something?

I just realized something a little odd about the top end rewards. You can get a signed, numbered book for one of the systems, but you can't get signed ones for all three, just three books. Or am I missing something?

Nope, you've got it right. There's no option to get all 3 signed books.

Could someone associated with this project post on rpg.net about it? I went and looked for it and couldn't find a post. There's a week to go, and we are mainly seeing Hero supporters. We need more people from other game systems.

If there is a post, please post a link.

I'm not feeling encouraged by the disparity between Hero supporters and those from other game systems to get this project across the finish line. To help out, I'm doubling my pledge. I hope others will join me.

I'm not feeling encouraged by the disparity between Hero supporters and those from other game systems to get this project across the finish line. To help out, I'm doubling my pledge. I hope others will join me.

We've looked at some of the numbers over on the other thread (sorry, no link) about this KS. I know nothing about the economics involved here, but I would surmise that the cost of doing 1 format rather than 3 would be less than all 3 together. (Note: I'm not saying it would be 1/3 of the cost, because I know that's not true). This is just me musing over the possible question, "would it have funded if we only did Hero?" 

I'd be much happier if this thing kicks into gear and over-funds, as-is. 

Add-ons would be helpful. I'd like to get all three in PDF, but I only want the HD file and a printed Hero version.

Could you include some add-on options? Offering backstock items at a reduced price as an add-on maybe?

Bumping this question because I don't think it was ever answered.  Personally I would like to get all 3 in PDF, but only want a hard copy of the Hero System version.

Asked on the Kickstarter page and they answered there:

If you want a print book plus all the PDFs, just add an extra $20 to your pledge, and make a note of it in the post-campaign survey notes.

Well, I've already increased my pledge by $40, so I'm covered there if it funds.

I looked at the numbers earlier today and out of 101 backers, 56 were getting Hero only and another 20 were getting all three. The rest were mainly Savage Worlds and a small handful of M&M.