Proposed Characters

Christopher R Taylor

I'm going to start posting some characters in here that I'm thinking about offering for people to try as prebuilt guys to learn Champions with in a game I hope to run at the local friendly neighborhood gaming store through a "meetup group" in town.  They play tons of board games, but not so many RPGs and I think with the comic movies and such I might be able to get some new RPG players out of it.

My problem is that I am almost 50 and their average age is like 20, so I think they see me as an old man and dull, out of touch, like dad or something.  So I'm not sure how effectively I'll be able to connect with them.  At any rate, here's my proposed bunch of offerings.  Instead of the usual full character sheet I'm going to upload the HDC file and a picture of the stripped down simplified character sheet I created based on ones by others, particularly The Ebil Bunneh.  

I have a sheet of character summaries I'm going to hand out for people to look at as the character sheets are passed around, so I'll be posting the summaries from that as well.  The sheet gives difficulty of play ranked with 1-3 stars, with super simple brick guys as 1 star and more complicated characters with 3 stars.  All are meant to be pretty easy to step into.

If anyone has any ideas, criticisms, suggestions, or thoughts, please share them.

First up, Anna Venger, Supergirl analog.

Difficulty: **
This adventurous crime fighting superheroine by day is an interior designer who works the finest buildings and homes in the city. She is particularly protective of women, and uses her great strength, invulnerability, and ability to fly to fight for justice. Hated and hunted by the supernatural villain group called DEMON, Anna Venger is also vulnerable to damage from gold. In fact, being bound by gold makes her progressively weaker.
2i71ooy.jpg

Anna Venger.hdc

Blindside.  I've made like 30 variants of this guy over the years, a concept I keep coming back to.  Incidentally, I built his staff as OIF.  He doesn't have a special magic staff.  He can use whatever is nearby and staff-like (broom handle, piece of PVC, etc) like Jackie Chan.

Blindside hunts the streets of the city, fighting crime for the weak, the powerless, and the downtrodden.  He does not care what happens to the wealthy and powerful, and has gotten a reputation as a bloodthirsty vigilante because of some violent accidents and crossfire, but personally hates killing.  Able to turn invisible, he fights with a staff using martial arts.  He works as a personal trainer to the wealthy and powerful when not on the streets.

rayr84.jpg

Blindside.hdc

Brick, rebuilt villain from the old 4th edition guy.  Very few changes to the character, just rounding him out to 300 points.  I discovered through all my rebuilds that a 250 point 4th edition character is almost always within 10 points of being a 300 point character in 6th edition, so that's my campaign target.

Difficulty: *

Huge, strong, and difficult to hurt, Brick does not remember who he is or where he came from. He has vague memories of strange scientists experimenting on him, and despises what he’s become, but tries to use what he has to help others.

264hpwk.jpg

Brick.hdc

As always I like the write ups. The art is good and I like the character sheet.

as for builds, I like them, they're clean and easy to understand, As an old timer I'm drawn to the CV's of characters being less than their DEX/3 :) 

(I was always a little bemused by Steve's myriad of writeups where CV's remained DEX/3 for the most part even though he had decoupled them...) and I always was a big fan of quirks 

Brick, rebuilt villain from the old 4th edition guy.  Very few changes to the character, just rounding him out to 300 points.  I discovered through all my rebuilds that a 250 point 4th edition character is almost always within 10 points of being a 300 point character in 6th edition, so that's my campaign target.

Huge, strong, and difficult to hurt, Brick does not remember who he is or where he came from. He has vague memories of strange scientists experimenting on him, and despises what he’s become, but tries to use what he has to help others.

2ymfuwp.jpg

Brick ended up working for VIPER in the 4th Edition supplement of the same name.  He was a scientist named Jon Cole who was transformed in an accident.

Swiped an image from Champions of the North for this one.

Stacy Collier was just an aggressive gamer who worked for a small console game company as a tester and problem solver. One day when she was mugged, her latent mutant powers over fire activated, and she erupted with flames, blasting her attacker aside. Now using her gamer ID BurnGrrl, she sweeps the streets clean of crime, mocking and belittling her opponents as if she’s on a headset playing a game.

ri6tky.jpg

BurnGrrl.hdc

Brick ended up working for VIPER in the 4th Edition supplement of the same name.  He was a scientist named Jon Cole who was transformed in an accident.

That was the 4th Edition Parallel Reality.  In this Parallel Reality, he's one of the Good Guys.

For now.  :snicker:

I second Enforcer84's comments, especially on the character sheet.  Good Job, Christopher, and keep 'em coming. :thumbup:

Cheshire Cat.  Again, a 4th edition villain, but I like his skillset and he makes an interesting hero possibility.  Like Brick, I could see him going bad and being familiar to the team at some point.

A nuclear technician whose mutant powers were activated in an accident triggered from an attack by the villainous group VIPER. Now he’s able to teleport around at will and has become much stronger, tougher, and faster than before. For a time, he was a robber to earn money for his wife’s operations and health (she worked at the plant too, and instead of getting powers, she just got burned and tumors). Now trying to reform his image, he fights for justice.

21ece4h.jpg

Cheshire Cat.hdc

Crusader is a basic vigilante type guy familiar to most players.  I included him as an option to give players a Batman type to choose from; I'm trying to give most familiar and recognizable categories of characters so people can pick them.  If they want to play The Flash, I have a guy like that, a couple of Batman types, a Wonder Woman/Supergirl type, etc.

This grim hunter of the night fights crime because he has a powerful sense of justice and hatred of crimes. He has a reputation as a vigilante partly because he has no respect for authorities or systems of justice after seeing them fail. A very skilled martial artist with a glider suit, armored costume, and shield he uses to protect and fight with, Crusader has no cape, but is a dark knight for the streets of the city.

a5al2x.jpg

Crusader.hdc

Sadly, no, I have to do it by hand. If someone with more desire to work in HTML was to build such a sheet and make the template available that would be wonderful.  Its a semi-laborious process.

Defender, another repurposed 4th edition character.  I kept him pretty much as is, with small tweaks.  All the characters with two forms, such as Anna Venger and Defender I gave only their hero form because they aren't likely to be played in secret ID in combat as just trainer handout characters.

Defender wears a suit of armor that makes him much stronger and tougher while enhancing his senses significantly. He’s also designed it with rockets that fire entangling sticky strands at targets, immobilizing them. A billionaire whose father, grandfather, and great-grandfather were heroic figures of past ages, he feels he must rise to heroism despite not being particularly interested in the lifestyle. Still, heroism comes naturally to him and he’s willing to do whatever it takes to protect others. Defender freakin’ loves science and is very skeptical of the supernatural.

ojl3tl.jpg

Defender.hdc

One of my favorite offerings just because of his sheer entertainment possibilities.  In the hands of the right player, he could be hilarious.  Guns McGee is a hero for Jersey Shore reality TV, a dork that thinks more of himself than everyone else does, the kind of guy that is so sure he's irresistable to women that often he is.  He has a publicist that follows him around documenting his deeds for a reality show on the internet.  I repurposed the image from Rampage in the VIPER 4th edition book and slapped a cape on him for good measure.

Difficulty *

Guns McGee is strong, very strong, and very hard to hurt. He is ripped and chiseled with a bodybuilder’s physique and perpetual perfect, oiled tan. He believes he’s god’s gift to every woman, and is completely certain of his own greatness. But his heart is ultimately in the right place, and he ultimately is a hero, even if he’s a bit of a douche. Dressing in only a cloak and thong, he imagines himself being a Spartan from the film 300.  Guns has a publicist following him everywhere to document his actions for a web-only reality show, but Dan "The Man" Barchetta often gets himself into trouble.

wjua94.jpg

Guns McGee.hdc

Another villain turned into a heroine.  I wanted a Frozone type ice character and she was just ready to use.

This superheroine is a would-be actress, but so far her only parts have been serving food at the local restaurants. Meanwhile, she takes to the streets to fight crime with her ice powers, sliding on a sheet of ice and blasting enemies with cold. Relentlessly cheerful, she’s strangely untrusting and skeptical toward life.

2ytvepu.jpg

Icicle.hdc

Jaguar, another Champions 4th character.  I always liked this guy because of his story and background.  The detective who hated to turn into his more powerful form, with a mysterious hunter from his past.  A bit more complex than most builds though, since he has two sheets.

Difficulty: ***

Jaguar is a private detective in the city, and a man skillful at his job.  A bit of a throwback, he prefers working the streets over the keyboards and internet, and has built a reputation as a good detective that works well with cops. But he has a secret. In stress or combat, he has a family curse that makes him often turn into a Jaguar-man with shredding claws, great strength and agility, and powerful leaping ability. Lorenzo Baez hates to turn into the Jaguar, but knows its often the only option. And meanwhile, ancient enemies of his family from Columbia stalk him.

2d0gl5g.jpg

2lc4chw.jpg

Jaguar (human form).hdc

Jaguar.hdc

A rebuild of a Strike Force character, I did a few of them, too.  I've given all the martial artist types two stars of difficulty because of the maneuvers.  They are pretty straight forward but require choices and a bit of bookkeeping.

Once a gymnast, French Canadian Catharine Beauchamp was captured by the villain group VIPER and experimented on until she gained fantastic cat powers. She
managed to escape, and has rebuilt her life on the run from VIPER as a security analyst and consultant.  Having to fight VIPER so often has given her a reputation as a superhero, and she’s embraced the life.

1554feq.jpg

La Panthere.hdc

Oracle is a rebuild of a Champions of the North character (Atlantic Sentinel division).  I tweaked her powers and simplified them more, but she's still not as easy to play as most of these.  With her predictive abilities, she relies on a lot of rolls and contingencies such as danger sense and seeing things.

The Oracle is a mentalist with great psionic abilities. She is a mutant, hunted by the genetic purist group Genocide, but dislikes violence and tries to find peaceful  solutions to problems. She’s also extremely protective of her friends, and will use her predictive powers to keep them from danger and trouble. Able to warn nearby enemies of danger and predict the future to a limited degree, she’s difficult to hit and can seem extremely lucky.

nvqmp0.jpg

Oracle.hdc

Peregrine, an original character.  I just was inspired by an image in the 3rd edition champions book, I think it is.  He's swooping past the Eiffel Tower which I had to eliminate from his image.  He's a bit complicated because of his extensive utility belt and gadgets.

Peregrine is a flying crime fighter in a special high tech suit built by his great riches. He is a capable martial artist, but as a normal if well-trained, man he relies on
technology to give him the edge against crime.

210c4lj.jpg

6h7pqd.jpg

Peregrine.hdc

Plasma Ranger, another Strike Force swipe.  I really like his look and he's got a nice set of powers.

A former Texas Ranger like his father, he took over the battle suit from his dad as well. The suit generates a powerful plasma field that lets him fly, blast targets, and protect himself. It hasn’t been updated or changed much since the 1980s, but the suit is still quite powerful.

mc6xp3.jpg

Plasma Ranger.hdc

Princess is a swipe from a Tim Allen superhero movie called Zoom.  Based on a graphic novel it was mildly entertaining but had some good bits such as this character.  She's a little girl with enormous strength (and, I presumed, invulnerability) who loves to dress all cute and wore costumes.  I shifted the idea slightly, so that Princess is a woman whose body stopped growing when her powers manifested.  I had some trouble coming up with the image, and had to edit it somewhat to remove her adult curves.

To the world, Princess is a cute little girl with incredible strength and durability. But despite her looks and cute behavior, such as wearing a fairy princess outfit, she’s no little girl. Trapped in an 8-year-old’s body that never grew up, this woman is a bit frustrated at her plight, but plays it up to give her an advantage against her foes.

vff81c.jpg

Princess.hdc

Shadow Warrior.  I swiped the image for ShadowWalker from the Strike Force book, adjusted it slightly, but he's an entirely new build.  I wanted another mentalist, but a different kind than usual.  So he's able to project psychic energy into weapons that are really just very powerful dedicated mental illusions.  They look and act like real weapons to creatures with minds, but do nothing at all to robots, etc.  He's a bit complicated as a concept but fairly straight forward to play: the player doesn't need to worry about how mental defense reduces his damage, I can handle that as a GM.

Searching for his father who was lost in Vietnam, Colin Eastwood himself became lost but finally discovered a hidden enclave of secret martial artists in Cambodia where his still-young father lived. Learning the secrets of psychic ninjitsu, Colin eventually left the enclave when villain group PSI killed his father and entered the world once more as Shadow Warrior. It took him a few years to get used to the changes, but now he’s a deadly foe against injustice and villainry in the city. He is able to create weapons that exist only in his mind and the minds of his foes—provided they have minds, and is very skilled in deception, stealth, and combat.

34p1g01.jpg

Shadow Warrior.hdc

Starburst, classic 4th edition example character, with a bit of tweaking.

Starburst loves the camera.  A natural ham, he is extroverted and incredibly outgoing, playing for attention, and always first at the cameras when the media shows up.  However, deep down, he’s still the insecure professor of math and computer science at the local community college.  Able to fire powerful blasts of energy that blind targets or explode in an area or fly, Starfire has a forcefield as well that protects him from damage.

ioq5v4.jpg

Starburst.hdc

Teeny.  Basically a rebuild of Shrinker, as a heroine.

Dana Whitmore figured out she could shrink to miniscule size in high school, and after using it for a lot of mischief but cautiously because in her tiny size she was very weak and vulnerable.  VIPER found out about Dana, and captured her.  After many painful experiments, she became much more powerful, retaining her full strength in small form, able to fly, and see in the dark, plus she gained a vibration blast.  Mind controlled, she was sent out to help out VIPER agents, but she broke free and fled.  Now she’s Teeny, the shrinking hero!

20acv1c.jpg

Teeny.hdc