Golden Age Champions images and themes

Christopher R Taylor

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends a lot.  Some of them (like most of the Justice Society) were pretty low powered, some were insanely powerful.  So you had Sandman who was a guy with a gas gun and Specter who was essentially all-powerful.  Batman was well trained and had a few gadgets (not many back then) and Superman who was bulletproof and could bench press the Titanic.

The Golden Age campaign I ran was relatively modest, with guys more like Hourman who were very powerful but for short periods of time, or Dr Mid-Nite who could see in the dark but was otherwise a normal guy.

My point is that there are some nuances between heroic level and superheroic level builds. I believe that you could build super powered heroes in heroic level perhaps everyone starts at 200 points. I think perhaps doing it like this would give the effect if people with powers.

In some ways this is very true to the source, many Golden Age Supers were pulp heroes with less dark view points, but it slams into a dude from Krypton, or a ring wearing fellow, etc. While many heroes from the era are built with good to very good stats, some can lift a Buick over their head, and/or bounce bullets. :yes:  So the Sandman can spend his points on skills and contacts, while the Whizzer buys a lot of stats and powers.(Yes a real hero :rofl: ) And yes he did wear a yellow costume, how did you guess.

It depends a lot.  Some of them (like most of the Justice Society) were pretty low powered, some were insanely powerful.  So you had Sandman who was a guy with a gas gun and Specter who was essentially all-powerful.  Batman was well trained and had a few gadgets (not many back then) and Superman who was bulletproof and could bench press the Titanic.

The Golden Age campaign I ran was relatively modest, with guys more like Hourman who were very powerful but for short periods of time, or Dr Mid-Nite who could see in the dark but was otherwise a normal guy.

In some ways this is very true to the source, many Golden Age Supers were pulp heroes with less dark view points, but it slams into a dude from Krypton, or a ring wearing fellow, etc. While many heroes from the era are built with good to very good stats, some can lift a Buick over their head, and/or bounce bullets. :yes:  So the Sandman can spend his points on skills and contacts, while the Whizzer buys a lot of stats and powers.(Yes a real hero :rofl: ) And yes he did wear a yellow costume, how did you guess.

Then again, they didn't need superpowers to be superheroic.  Check out panel three on this page from Captain America--

kirb-kin-bund-5.jpg

I figure that's over a dozen Nazis that he's taken out of the fight just by swinging his arms out to the sides. You can almost hear the "falling tenpins" sound effect. Cap didn't need to fly or shoot disintegrator beams from his eyes to upend the laws of physics.

My point is that there are some nuances between heroic level and superheroic level builds. I believe that you could build super powered heroes in heroic level perhaps everyone starts at 200 points. I think perhaps doing it like this would give the effect if people with powers.

Yeah I was thinking more in terms of what's available to characters to buy more than point values.  

I'm a low points low power kinda guy, that's my preference because it tends to humanize and give the characters flaws and holes to fill, room to grow into and space to expand.

• 2 weeks later...

Then again, they didn't need superpowers to be superheroic.  Check out panel three on this page from Captain America--

kirb-kin-bund-5.jpg

I figure that's over a dozen Nazis that he's taken out of the fight just by swinging his arms out to the sides. You can almost hear the "falling tenpins" sound effect. Cap didn't need to fly or shoot disintegrator beams from his eyes to upend the laws of physics.

So, let's just ignore the super-strength, super-agility...

Wow, I like that Torch a lot. :yes:

As much flack.as JB gets.he does do somengood designs. Ok,.doing rock, paper, scissors as a team called trio pushed it a little. Torch showed up as a one shot along with backup in danger unlimited. You can find them.collected in the DU trade paperback.

Valhalla

VALH (Antarctic, 1999)

[Manga/Anime] [science Fiction]

™ and ©1999 Ben Dunn

It’s 1939 Germany, and Nazi soldiers sweep the land. There the historical similarities end, as the Führer has died of pneumonia; aliens have landed and are preparing a major assault on the earth; and the humans’ major technological defenses are represented by a super-science center known as Valhalla. Defending its gates are armed forces represented by Colonel Heydrich, a raven-haired beauty whose mind wanders to erotic thoughts, and genetically enhanced warriors like psi-powered Jeosph and the dog-soldier—literally—Otto. Working to combat the alien technology are such scientists as high-strung Dr. Hahn and kindly Professor Nomura; caught somewhere in the middle is an innocent girl who has stumbled upon the greatest power the world has ever seen.

Written and drawn by talented Antarctic publisher Ben Dunn, this full-color series is jammed with intriguing characters, an intricately woven plot, and plenty of action. When an apparent Shogun Warrior homage appears, it’s clear that anything can happen.

post-219-0-00340700-1426773479_thumb.jpg

post-219-0-61823000-1426773505_thumb.jpg