Converting from M&M to Hero System

Mr. R

So I have a few Enemies books for M&M and for the most part I can do some basic conversions.  But I get lost when it comes to all those feats.  What do they mean, how do they work in game, etc, etc, etc?

So are there any pages and or documents that give an idea of what game effects, if any the feats have? 

I know I can go with what feels right, but if I have no frame of reference, then I can't even get started.

Thank you!

What version of M&M are you using?  The version I have doesn't have feats.  Are you referring to Advantages?

EDIT: If you are talking about M&M Advantages, most of them would be built using Powers, possibly as custom Talents with GM permission.  Some don't really translate well, like Improved Critical which lets you roll a critical hit on something other than a 20.  Unless your Champions campaign is using Critical Hit rules of some sort there isn't really a good corollary to that other than some form of limited extra damage.

Some of them translate precisely.

Defensive Roll exactly corresponds to Combat Luck.

Improved Initiative exactly corresponds to Lightning Reflexes.

Others are tied into a Hero Points system and if and how you translate them may depend on whether and how you use Hero Points. Or there may be other ways to get the idea across.

Seize the Initiative for example lets you put yourself at the top of the initiative order by spending a Hero Point. Maybe you could express that as very high Lightning Reflexes and/or a SPD bonus, with a high END cost or on Charges.

At least one is tied to the concept of "minion." Takedown lets you make an extra attack after taking down a "minion" or minor character. Bet you thought it meant something like a Martial Throw? That's what I would have thought. You can buy it as a Naked Trigger for any attack action, Trigger being knocking out or otherwise disposing of any character the person running the game considers to be trivial, perhaps with a Limitation depending on how often you are likely to get to use it.

Some could be Skills. Quickdraw for example corresponds to Fastdraw except that it's automatic and has no roll.

Some would be Martial Maneuvers. Weapon Bind, oddly enough, would be a move combining the Disarm and Block elements.

Lucius Alexander

Pedants and Palindromedaries

I am trying to build a Berserkergang powerset.

I started with something like +2 Enhanced Fighting, +1 Enhanced Strength, (base cost 6)

The section on Enhanced Traits said it could be limited to an emotional state, such as "while angry." That's -1 per rank of the Powers, so, (-3) for "enraged in combat."

At first I didn't think there was anything like Charges, then I found it under "Unreliable" - apparently the only possible number of Charges is 5?? Well, I figured "Unreliable: Only works for 5 combat turns then must recover" would work. That's -1 per rank again, so (-3)

And finally I wanted it to reduce Awareness by 2 and Intellect by 1; the section on Enhanced Traits said this was a -1 for each Rank a Trait is reduced by, so, (-3)

So I look at the rules under "Fractional Cost" to see how to do this - and the rule seems to assume that all flaws are assigned in a per rank basis, but the penalties to Aware and Int are FLAT, not per rank.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that we haven't even looked into equipment yet

I'm relatively new to the system, but I'll give is a shot.

First, you don't tally the base cost and then subtract the per rank from flaws.  Many Enhanced Traits (including the ones you use) are 2 points per rank.  You have two flaws that reduce the cost per rank by one (not subtract one per rank).  This doesn't mean that it costs 0 points per rank.  If Cost:Rank gets lower than 1 on the cost side, instead of subtracting you add to the Rank side.  So your base power is 2:1 with Flaws that reduce the cost per rank by two, which would leave you with 1:2, or one point for each 2 Rank in your Power.  So for 2 points you could have up to 4 Rank in Enhanced Traits (Abilities).  

Your Flat Modifiers are added last (as outlined under Flat-Value Modifiers on the very next page after Fractal Modifiers) and cannot reduce your actual cost below 1 point.  So your -3 Flat modifiers drops your final cost from 2 points to the minimum of 1.  

Keep in mind that your final Fighting and Damage Ranks need to still fit within the Power Level limits you are playing in.

Make sense?

I considered converting my AoV line over to Hero, but ran into a few snags during the conversion from M&M3e to Hero6e. Takedown was a big one for me. I considered making it an area effect blast with no range and limited to no-name thugs only. I also considered making a new Talent that allows heroes the ability to start a chain against no-name opponents that would take them out of the combat after stunning them. In all honesty, I've been looking at bringing in quite a few things from M&M to Champions, but may end up shifting how the game is played in the process.

Lucius, they have a Berserker build in the Power Profiles book that I modified below.

Berserker Rage: Enhanced Trait 13 (Traits: Strength +3 (+3), Fighting +3 (+3), Advantages: Fearless; Quirk 2: -1 to active defenses, Tiring) • 5 points

The Enhanced Traits give you the bonuses you need, as well as making the character immune to fear effects. The Quirk gives a minus to the character's active defenses due to getting cocky, not watching what he's doing, etc. Tiring makes him Fatigued when he goes into the rage. Alternatively, you could give him Fades instead, reducing the effect each round. Hope this helps.

I'm relatively new to the system, but I'll give is a shot.

First, you don't tally the base cost and then subtract the per rank from flaws.  Many Enhanced Traits (including the ones you use) are 2 points per rank.  You have two flaws that reduce the cost per rank by one (not subtract one per rank).  This doesn't mean that it costs 0 points per rank.  If Cost:Rank gets lower than 1 on the cost side, instead of subtracting you add to the Rank side.  So your base power is 2:1 with Flaws that reduce the cost per rank by two, which would leave you with 1:2, or one point for each 2 Rank in your Power.  So for 2 points you could have up to 4 Rank in Enhanced Traits (Abilities).  

Your Flat Modifiers are added last (as outlined under Flat-Value Modifiers on the very next page after Fractal Modifiers) and cannot reduce your actual cost below 1 point.  So your -3 Flat modifiers drops your final cost from 2 points to the minimum of 1.  

Keep in mind that your final Fighting and Damage Ranks need to still fit within the Power Level limits you are playing in.

Make sense?

I kind of thought it could be something like that. So I could have Enhanced Fighting that's 2 ranks for 1 pt. If I want to hang a -2 Awareness penalty on it, to be cost effective I would have to take at least 6 ranks, for a final cost of 1 pt.

But JoJo and I have already come to an agreement how to do it. And yeah, the Power Level celing is something I've been bumping my head on. 

I considered converting my AoV line over to Hero, but ran into a few snags during the conversion from M&M3e to Hero6e. Takedown was a big one for me. I considered making it an area effect blast with no range and limited to no-name thugs only. I also considered making a new Talent that allows heroes the ability to start a chain against no-name opponents that would take them out of the combat after stunning them. In all honesty, I've been looking at bringing in quite a few things from M&M to Champions, but may end up shifting how the game is played in the process.

Lucius, they have a Berserker build in the Power Profiles book that I modified below.

Berserker Rage: Enhanced Trait 13 (Traits: Strength +3 (+3), Fighting +3 (+3), Advantages: Fearless; Quirk 2: -1 to active defenses, Tiring) • 5 points

The Enhanced Traits give you the bonuses you need, as well as making the character immune to fear effects. The Quirk gives a minus to the character's active defenses due to getting cocky, not watching what he's doing, etc. Tiring makes him Fatigued when he goes into the rage. Alternatively, you could give him Fades instead, reducing the effect each round. Hope this helps.

Takedown is just a naked Trigger advantage that applied to an attack, with a Limitation based on how often a character you take down could be considered a "minion." Hero distinguishes all the time between "supers" and "agents" after all.

We came to a solution of turning the flat penalties into per-rank; that is, I now have Fighting that reduces Awareness by 1 pt for each pt Fighting is enhanced, a flaw that's another -1 per rank flaw. Strength is flawed with reduced Intellect, and both enhanced traits are linked together for -0.

Lucius Alexander

Advantage: Palindromedary

Takedown is just a naked Trigger advantage that applied to an attack, with a Limitation based on how often a character you take down could be considered a "minion." Hero distinguishes all the time between "supers" and "agents" after all.

Would trigger allow for the chain? I'd love to see how you'd stat it up.