What are the most useful 5e supplements for use with 6e?

Joe Walsh

I used 4e since it came out in 1989 up until I stopped role-playing in the early 2000s, so 5e wasn't even on my radar. There's no way I can afford to track down and buy everything produced for 5e, so which supplements are most useful for someone who has everything produced for 4e and 6e?

The Hero System Vehicle Sourcebook and The Ultimate Vehicle are incredibly useful core books. The 6e volume that would have replaced them never got published, so the 5e versions are the ones to get.

Excellent idea!

I should also probably think about the genre books that aren't available for 6e, such as Pulp Hero and maybe Dark Champions.

The various settings books can also be very useful if you have an interest in a particular type of game setting. For example, if you like Swords & Sorcery, pick up Valdorian Age. If you like a Gotham City kind of setting, then Hudson City is a great buy.

I should also probably think about the genre books that aren't available for 6e, such as Pulp Hero...

I can heartily endorse the Pulp Hero books. They are quite good. In fact, I liked them so much I made my own deluxe volume out of three of them.

pulp_hero_omnibus_1.jpg

Want! Can you share how you did this? :)

The short answer is that I took the PDFs of three of my favorite Pulp Hero books, combined them into a single PDF, massaged it into shape with Adobe Acrobat Pro, and uploaded it to a new hardcover book project on Lulu. I then spent several nights creating the wraparound cover art in Photoshop based off the Justice Inc. box art, and uploaded it to the Lulu project. I then waited for one of Lulu's 50% off discount offers (which comes around every month or so), and had it printed. Discounted cost: $16.92 + shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

My picks for best two books are Pulp Hero and Hudson City.  They have a HiRes map of Hudson City available too.  I love a good map.  

Hudson City is so well done that I actually use it for all my games regardless of genre.  I did a little editing of the map, replacing the interstates with regular highways or roads, expanding the rail lines and renaming/recoloring some landmarks and now have a 1930's Hudson City for non-modern games. 

Edited by Spence

• 3 weeks later...

These are a few of my favorite 5ed things:

Genres:

Post-Apocalyptic Hero: short but sweet, with several fun mini-campaign ideas.

Pulp Hero: good pulp-era sourcebook - I've recommended it to people who play Pulp in different systems.

Lucha Libre Hero: just cuz, dammit!

Settings:

Hudson City: great modern city setting, meant for Dark Champs but useable with any modern setting

Tuala Morn: nice low-level Celtic-themed fantasy setting. Never actually gotten to play it, but just reading it was enjoyable.

Atlantean Age: decent take on a very-high-level fantasy setting.

Alien Wars: gritty military sci-fi setting, not perfect but had some good bits.

Sourcebooks

VIPER Coils of the Serpent: I pull this one off the shelf a lot. A wide range of stuff to choose from, so if you want VIPER to be a bunch of easily-smacked-down mooks, you can do that; if you want them to pose a credible threat to the PCs, you can do that too.

DEMON Servants of Darkness: I think this book was *really* well done myself, tho some folks feel it's a bit dark for a standard Champions campaign.

The Mystic World: A solid look at how to run the magical side of the CU, with a great comic-book cosmology. I use this one a lot too.

Hidden Lands: Some good Lost Worlds type stuff, Atlantic, Lemuria, et. al.

Book of the Destroyer: a good "deep dive" look at a master villain.

Book of the Machine: same idea, but with Mechanon instead of Dr. Destroyer.

Vehicle Sourcebook: just what it says on the cover. (Ultimate Vehicle spends more time on vehicle design & combat - this book is all vehicles.)

Villainy Amok: one of the best superhero RPG supplements of all time IMO. Sold scenarios & great advice on how to run some of the most classic comic-book stories.

Ultimate Mentalist: all the Ultimate series was pretty good, but I thought this one stood out and is the one I've gotten the most use out of

YMMV of course, but those are the ones that jump off the shelf at me.

Lucha Libre is Mexican pro wrestling, correct?

Yes, but that really doesn't begin to capture it. More like: Masked Mexican wrestlers-cum-superheroes save the world from aliens, monster and evil mad scientist through the power of wrestling, in between driving fast cars and romancing beautiful women while never taking their masks off! With the right GM & players, it's a recipe for some of the most hysterical games I've ever played. :rockon: