Supergirl

Greywind

I think the image of athletes such as speed skaters, skiiers, cyclists, and so on and the outfits they wear - shiny, very bright colors, stark patterns etc - shows that you can do it and be taken seriously, if the setting simply presumes they are and doesn't question it.  Its when you have some guy sneering at it and acting like its dumb that it tends to fall apart, and in today's culture that's all too common.  Everyone has to be the snarky frat boy instead of just taking things as they are.  Then they come up with other explanations why what they mock is so bad, to justify their behavior.

Ripping things apart in the name of "realism" seems to be the new hobby of the early twenty-first century.

That said, when it comes to a superhero flick...if the acting of the superhero(es) is good, the story is decent/good, and the setting is consistent, most folks are going to stop bellyaching over a bright costume after the first five to ten minutes.

While we're at it, maybe we can get scriptwriters to stop being so afraid of having characters use superhero names :tsk: .

The reasons usually given for dark, textured costumes--often with lots of pseudo-armor plating/padding--are unconvincing, IMO. Realism, as in what do soldiers wear in the real world when they go into combat, is usually irrelevent when we're talking about characters that can shrug off artillery rounds and punch holes in battleships.

Speaking of which...the recent Batman film trilogy featured what was basically customized military armor as the titular hero's duds.

Bruce Wayne: [about the prototype Batsuit] Tear resistant?

Lucius Fox: This sucker will stop a knife.

Bruce Wayne: Bulletproof?

Lucius Fox: Anything but a straight shot.

Bruce Wayne: Why didn't they put it into production?

Lucius Fox: Bean counters didn't think a soldier's life was worth 300 grand. So, what's your interest in it, Mr. Wayne?

Bruce Wayne: I wanna borrow it. For, uh, spelunking.

Lucius Fox: [to Reese] Let me get this straight, you think that your client, one of the wealthiest and most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante, who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands, and your plan is to blackmail this person?

[Reese's face falls and Fox smiles]

Lucius Fox: Good luck.

• 2 months later...

My only concerns are: low-budget fx (distracts from the emotional impact of her superheroic actions), tendency towards cheesy camera angles, cheesy fan-service gags. Oh, and her costume is a bit bland.

But other than that, it looks fairly promising. Casting is good. Tone is nice and cheerful (not unlike The Flash). Bringing in alien/super threats is an excellent move (i.e., it won't just be this generation's Lois and Clark).

I sorta like the whole "evolving costume" bit, though I confess I liked her first outfit best (the one she refuses to wear). I realize it would be impossible for viewers to take her seriously all cheesecaked out like that, but it really was a sweet/sexy design.

That was good.  :thumbup:

My only quibble was that the guy they had playing James Olsen was better suited for the role of John Henry Irons.  But otherwise this is magnificent.

I do hope, though, that The Man Himself will show up at some point.

Definitely looking forward to this.

IO9 was a bit negative in their review of the trailer* (comparing it to the SNL Black Widow "trailer" sketch), but I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to seeing the series.

*After I typed this, I realized how ridiculous it is that it's now common to review/analyze/deconstruct a trailer to death, rather than wait for the actual show/movie.

There were parts of it that seemed fun and compelling but it didn't really grab me. I can't really lay my finger on what exactly is off putting about it but there were times where a got more of a female-audience oriented show (Gilmore Girls, etc) rather than the superhero show with a female protagonist (Dark Angel). But that said, I will still give it a watch. Maybe I will like it after all. And hopefully the whole series won't maintain that same kind of tone.

La Rose.

I must be a 20-something girl too, then. (Which would come as quite a surprise to me, my wife, and many others....)

Because I liked it. It wasn't what I expected, I admit. It looks very CW-ish (if that's a word), but still--Supergirl. She flies. She's bulletproof. She can stop a speeding semi  without budging. And I really like the "learning to be a superhero" aspect to this. Yes, you have Phenomenal Cosmic Power , but you have to learn how to use it. And when to use it.

I'll be watching it.

Ripping things apart in the name of "realism" seems to be the new hobby of the early twenty-first century.

That said, when it comes to a superhero flick...if the acting of the superhero(es) is good, the story is decent/good, and the setting is consistent, most folks are going to stop bellyaching over a bright costume after the first five to ten minutes.

Please excuse me while I rephrase that:

That said, when it comes to a superhero flick...if the acting of the superhero(es) is good, the story is decent/good, and the setting is consistent, most folks are going to stop bellyaching over a dark costume after the first five to ten minutes.

I hope that brings clarity to the discussion. :)

EDIT: I "liked" your post, because smart@$$ copy/pasting aside, your points are still valid. However, I feel it cuts both ways.

Aaaaand then I saw this...

Yes, I'm going to watch it, but I've seen it a million times before and it didn't interest me. (How many cliches, masquerading as characterization, can you spot?)

The part that gets me is the part where she asks the army(?) guy to "let" her help. She's Supergirl for Rao's sake! Who's going to stop her with anything less than a really powerful nuke. If you can stop Supergirl, then odds are, you don't need her help.

Well, Superman could always try to stop her without a nuke...

True, but the scene didn't show Kara arguing with Clark. It showed Kara arguing with "random DEO thug #42" and he ain't Superman.

Either way, I'm going to watch it, but I'm not optimistic.

BTW, I just saw the Legends of Tomorrow trailer. Waaaay cooler. It'll probably get cancelled before the end of the first season. :weep:

I just realized what was going on in that scene. Most likely, "random DEO thug #42" is about to do something stupid/destructive (being a random DEO thug and all). Most likely Kara's telling him to let her handle it. He's going to give her some kind of deadline to do it her way. She does it her way and succeeds, thus proving that the plucky hero is better than the plodding by-the-book "random DEO thug".

Man! We need a cliche counter for this show. :P