Supergirl

Greywind

In my view, a story isn't really a stereotypical time travel story unless the main character(s) travel to the past and change it (either deliberately or by accident), or travel to the future and obtain crucial information they use to solve a problem when they get back to the "present".

I'm not sure if that pertains to Mon-El from the comics, but unless he (the tv version) somehow causes Supergirl to travel through time, and said travel helps solve some mainline narrative dilemma, his "offscreen" temporal (mis)adventures are essentially irrelevant.

Never underestimate an adversary with really strong Mental Illusions!

Can someone explain to me how Supergirl was able to just completely ignore the effects of Psi's powers at the end? That ray-gun thingie didn't appear to have any noticeable effect, unless it was a really Delayed Effect, which if so, was not made very clear at all with the way the scene was presented.

I interpreted it as something like "You already showed me my greatest fear, and I beat it (with help from my sister and Kryptonian meditation); you can't show me anything worse than that." Or y'know, her player finally made a Breakout Roll.

And was it just me, or was Alex's little butt-scooch forward to give Kara a hug one of the cutest things in the history of television?

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I was surprised by that too (the Chloe thing, not the Durance thing). Seemed a little cheesy to me, but I guess it's CW canon now.

All in all I feel that Supergirl is doing a great job with its storytelling this season. The last two episodes in particular were very good. But from the snippets shown in the teaser for next week, I fear that the return of Mon-El could really muck things up.

I normally don't care much for flashback episodes. And if I could live the rest of my life without being forced to sit through more High School Melodrama, I'd die a happy man. And yet somehow, I really enjoyed this episode. I felt like it really did a good job of fleshing out Kara & Alex's relationship, and also put the whole "I'm driven to help people yet I chose to hide my powers for years" thing into better context.

Having never watched Smallville, I had to look up the Chloe reference. And I was puzzled by the whole "Mom" thing, since I didn't think the actress looked anything like Kar's mom - I didn't realize they'd recast the part. But the Noell Neill bit was a nice shout out.

At first I wasn't entirely convinced the show was name-dropping Smallville's Chloe, but then Kara mentioned Chloe's "Wall of Weird" and that made it conclusive.

BTW, the actresses who played young Alex and Kara did a smash up job. Kudos to the casting director(s).

just watching the latest episode (where Mon-El returns and Samantha/Reign finds out she is alien). So, why doesn't she call her friend Lena or Kara and say - Hey, you guys know Supergirl, can you contact her and let her know I could use some advice? Halfway through episode, but doesn't that seem obvious to anyone else?

My head canon is that Sam merely sensed/intuited that the device could lead her to answers about what was going on with her and who she really was, and she was following it like an otherworldly GPS nav.

Is anyone else tired of every single Super<whatever> movie and tv show riffing on the Donner crystals (and Fortresses of Solitude)? C'mon Hollywood, try something fresh and new, like Donner did!

The first half of the two-night, four-show crossover event was kind of fun. I'll pretty much watch anything with Melissa Benoist in it. I'll even put up with having to watch Dominic Purcell...

Questions that came to mind while watching the first half of the two parter:

1. Do we care what happens on Earth-X?
  2. In the opening scene, why were there search lights randomly crossing back and forth? Was there an active manhunt going on in that area? If so, why weren’t the “rebels” trying to hide?
  3. Did Ramon give Kara a device for opening a portal at any time, and I just forgot about it?
  4. How do the CW-verse characters know who Spider-Man is?
  5. Why were Heatwave and Sarah invited to the wedding?
  6. If the real objective is to take Kara’s heart for Evil Kara, why not attack her when she's alone somewhere on her own Earth, rather than when she’s surrounded by a bunch of other superheroes?

4 hours ago, zslane said:

The first half of the two-night, four-show crossover event was kind of fun. I'll pretty much watch anything with Melissa Benoist in it. I'll even put up with having to watch Dominic Purcell...

Questions that came to mind while watching the first half of the two parter:

I inserted some answers in this cool orange color. Very seasonal for end of Fall, IMO. No way I wanted to try to selectively quote inside a spoiler tag.

Hide contents

1. Do we care what happens on Earth-X? No, but the action is taking place on Earth 1, apparently. We only care that Earth-X is a dystopia with evil versions of Kara and Oliver, which they showed us briefly.
  2. In the opening scene, why were there search lights randomly crossing back and forth? Was there an active manhunt going on in that area? If so, why weren’t the “rebels” trying to hide? Nazis love searchlights.
  3. Did Ramon give Kara a device for opening a portal at any time, and I just forgot about it? Yeah, after the very first crossover.
  4. How do the CW-verse characters know who Spider-Man is? They read comics, duh. :snicker:
  5. Why were Heatwave and Sarah invited to the wedding? I'm guessing it was a team invite.
  6. If the real objective is to take Kara’s heart for Evil Kara, why not attack her when she's alone somewhere on her own Earth, rather than when she’s surrounded by a bunch of other superheroes? I totally missed that. Did they state that during the talk between the three baddies at the end of the episode?

(Note: I didn't say they were good answers. :P )