Grimble

I'm trying to find write-ups on the Champions Universe supers from the 1970's.

My PCs have traveled back in time, yet again. They are about to make a splash by helping fight Doctor Destroyer during his attempted conquest of California on March 5th, 1975. I'm sure they will not be shy about meeting the various super groups who gathered to fight DD.

Many of the heroes of that time  are mentioned in various books and some events are summarized...Is there a place to find more detail on the Supers of the '70's? We play using 5th ed. revised rules, but if there are books from any edition people could suggest, I'm cool with that. Hopefully, TheQuestionMan will see this. He's been very helpful to me in the past.

Grimble

P.S. If anyone has any write-ups for '70's supers they have used in their own games and they would be willing to share them here, that would be super cool, man.

Actually, the best place to find full write-ups for the heroes of that era would be in Hero Games's electronic magazine, Digital Hero. A series of articles chronicle the history (up to the 1970s) of two of the most famous superhero teams, the Fabulous Five (issues # 9, 10, 11, and 12), and the Sentinels (issues # 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20), with complete Fifth Edition character sheets, backgrounds, and B&W illustrations for all the team members during that span, as well as some of their enemies.

DH is available from the Hero Games website store, here, for $2.50 for each 64-page issue. You can also buy "bundles" of issues for less, although you can't pick and choose which ones to bundle (see pp. 5 and 6 of the DH list for details of bundles).

My PCs have traveled back in time, yet again. They are about to make a splash by helping fight Doctor Destroyer during his attempted conquest of California on March 5th, 1975. I'm sure they will not be shy about meeting the various super groups who gathered to fight DD.

Are your heroes traveling under their own devising, or are they somehow drawn to events like this Quantum Leap--style?  I ask because it occurs to me that if I were to travel freely to 1975, I would buy as much stock in 20th Century Fox and Kenner Toys as I could get my hands on, sell everything after 1983, stick the money in the most secure, highest interest-bearing account I could find, then return to the present and cash in.

Just sayin'.  :winkgrin:

Are your heroes traveling under their own devising, or are they somehow drawn to events like this Quantum Leap--style?  I ask because it occurs to me that if I were to travel freely to 1975, I would buy as much stock in 20th Century Fox and Kenner Toys as I could get my hands on, sell everything after 1983, stick the money in the most secure, highest interest-bearing account I could find, then return to the present and cash in.

Just sayin'.  :winkgrin:

Long story not so long...

The PCs all came from a couple different game worlds I had run the players through over the years. Capt. Chronos grabbed each of them and took them to an asteroid he had shifted out of any time stream. He had amassed a bunch of time/space manipulating devices and hotwired them into a Time Sphere. A beam projected from the sphere was being shot at a shifting amount of Earths. A quick  and not too helpful explanation about the Multiverse on the verge of destruction. The PCs were told by Capt. Chronos that he was trying to merge all the universes he could grab into an Amalgamverse. He sent them to a protected warehouse in Hudson City, NJ. The warehouse was protected from any time effects and was physically at all points on the timeline.

A weird looking fax machine spit out a message from Capt Chronos, a scavenger hunt list of potent items to help Capt. Chronos un-merge the Amalgamverse back into what was left of the multiverse. They accumulated most of the listed items and were attacked by a villain from the future, Widdershins. Widdershins ruled over the timeline from the year 2424 to way far future using the Chronal Manipulation Bracers...He was not cool with there being other futures that he didn't rule. He wanted to stop the PCs from creating a multiverse.

The PC cyber-kinetic had the bracers in his possession before Widdershins knew what hit him. The PCs are chronoported to the Time Sphere and Capt. Chronos tells them the list was a ruse to get Widdershins to attack them so they could get the Chronal Manipulation Bracers. He then asks Reboot (the cyber-kinetic) for said bracers. Reboot hands them over while failing to punch Capt Chronos...Chronos incorporates the bracers into his chronosuit and was able to save 52 universes...

Unfortunately, the PCs find out that their worlds came back with them already in the respective timelines. Their multiverse saving selves are now redundant. The Amalgamverse stuck around, so they decided to continue being superheroes there...

Here's where it starts to get weird. Capt. Chronos teleports onto the PCs meeting table with his chronosuit sparking and only one Chronal Manipulation Bracer...he says "Don't let the Destroyers win!" and his suit explodes along with the multiverse...Weird, rough timey-wimey psychedelic mind warping trip and the PCs appear on the Time Sphere where Capt Chronos is explaining about the multiverse being on the verge of destruction and he was trying to merge the remaining universes into an Amalgamverse...before they could snap out of the mental haze from the weird explosion of the multiverse they were sent to the warehouse at the time they had first been sent there...but to them about a year and a half later.

They had befriended the Roman god Janus in the last multiverse...they hadn't met her (yes, in my campaign Janus is female and has 2 faces, one on front of head and one on the back of the head) yet, but bumped into her at their favorite bar. Being a minor time god, she recognizes that she will know the group and is surprised that they remember the last multiverse. She fills them in on the fact that they have been trying to prevent the destruction of the multiverse several times without too much success, but enough to be able to try again...also, Capt Chronos only took on the Captain part of his name relatively recently. He is the Titan Chronos from Greek myth...also, there is a group of nihilistic gods trying to end all existances because they are sick of it.

Along the way they have gone to the year 2595 using the Chronal Manipulation Bracers before getting teleported to the Time Sphere. They have been sent to the year 1965 during the Qulaar Invasion by Widdershins before they stole the bracers. Janus has sent them back to 1917 where they killed baby Albert Zerstoiten and his parents...and then back to 2013.

They got to 1975 by hitching a ride with a Time Traveler just kinda figuring out his powers. They wanted to go back before their warehouse was nuked on January 19th, 2013 by Dark Chronos (an evil doppleganger of Chronos)...they had no idea when in the later half of the 20th century they would arrive. In the warehouse, Capt Chronos installed a Quantum Displacement Teleporter pad with recall bracelets needed to teleport back to the pad...At the start of the next session (tonight) they plan to teleport across the country to help in the fight Against Doctor Destroyer and his armies. They have no idea when their Time Traveler buddy will be able to shift them again or when they would end up if he does.

Thanks, and that's not even the half of it. I've always loved time travel and alternate history stories. When there is a multiverse I use several Earths from GURPS Alternate Earths, a few straight Champions-based worlds, and Dark Champions. I also throw in several Champions worlds that I have run other group through over the years.

The time travel is easy to control, for the most part. With a good and anevil Chronos running around and Janus as a group ally I can send them, or let them go to whatever time period I choose. I plan on having them stay in the '70's for at least a few sessions. I'd like to flesh out the 1970's Amalgamverse as much as I can.

Where can these Time Travel Hero notes be found?

Where can these Time Travel Hero notes be found?

The question is when can these Time Travel Hero notes be found. They've been sent forward into the future!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says I'm not being  helpful. Okay, how about this:

Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting...

Everybody (was Kung Fu Fighting)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

18 DEX 16 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

23 CON 13 14-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

13 EGO 3 12- ECV: 2 - 3

20+5 PRE 10 13- / 14- PRE Attack: 4d6/5d6

7 OCV 20

7 DCV 20

2 OMCV -3

3 DMCV 0

6 SPD 40 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

20 PD 9 Total: 20 PD (9 rPD)

20 ED 9 Total: 20 ED (9 rED)

8 REC 4

20 END 0

11 BODY 1

30 STUN 5

Total Characteristic Cost: 154

Movement: Running: 7m/14m

Leaping: 4m/8m

Swimming: 2m/4m

Cost Powers END

3 It was a little bit frightening: +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Conditional Power Only in combat (-¼), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼)

5 Everybody was KUNG FU fighting: Damage Negation (-3 DCs Physical) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Rare attack (Firearms and weapons with the Real Weapon Limitation, except Martial Arts Weapons; -1), Perceivable (Just looking at him, you know ordinary guns and knives won't work so why bother?; -½), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼), Nonpersistent (-¼) 0

Notes: Don't bring a gun to a kung fu fight!

Kung Fu Fighting!

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 A kickin' from the hip -2 +1 10d6 Strike

4 Chopping them up +0 +2 8d6 Strike

3 Chopping them down +0 +1 6d6 +v/10, Target Falls

4 Started swaying with the hand +2 +2 Block, Abort

3 Now we're into a brand new trip +2 -1 7d6 Strike, Target Falls

5 A sudden motion made me skip -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

73 Billy Chin and little Sammy Wong: Follower

3 Anonymity

Notes: When they hear that "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting" for some reason authorities and villains alike accept that answer and stop looking for someone specific.

12 Positive Reputation: Evildoers fear Everybody; the righteous love Everybody and are eager to help. (A large group) 14-, +4/+4d6

21 Contact: "Everybody" (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (21 Active Points) 11-

Notes: If anything important happens in Funky China Town, Everybody knows it. If there are resources that can be of use to Everybody, then Everybody has access to them. Everybody wants to help Everybody.

Talents

18 Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

2 Those Kicks Were Fast as Lightning: Lightning Reflexes (+8 DEX to act first with a Small Group of Actions: Kung Fu)

3 In fact it was a little bit frightening: +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

3 They fought with expert timing: Absolute Time Sense

Skills

2 It's an ancient Chinese art: KS: Kung Fu 11-

3 And everybody knew their part: Teamwork 13-

3 Here comes the big boss, let's get it on: Streetwise 13- (14-)

1 Took the bow and made a stand WF: Bows

6 Kung Fu Fighting: +2 with a small group of attacks

3 From a fainting, to a slip: Breakfall 13-

3 Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting: Analyze: Style 12-

10 Expert Timing: Defense Maneuver I-IV

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 206

Total Cost: 360

400+ Matching Complications

325 Base Points

15 Social Complication: Secret ID: Carl Douglas Frequently, Major

0 Distinctive Features: Funky China Man (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Funky China Town)

15 Hunted: Big Boss Very Frequently (As Pow; Limited Geographical Area; Harshly Punish)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Everybody who's Kung Fu Fighting; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

Total Complications Points: 360

Background/History:

There was funky Billie Chin and little Sammy Chong

He said, here comes the big boss, let's get it on

We took the bow and made a stand

Started swaying with the hand

A sudden motion made me skip

Now we're into a brand new trip

Personality/Motivation: Keep on, keep on, keep on, sure enough

Quote: Oh-hoh-hoh-HOah!

Powers/Tactics: Kung Fu Fighting

Campaign Use: The mysterious masked martial artist became known as "Everybody" for responding to villains who demanded "Who ARE you?" by saying "I'm everybody you ever wronged, come to set it right!" His friends Funky Billy Chin and Little Sammy Wong may know his identity, but they would never betray him.

Appearance: A little bit frightening.

Lyrics to the song "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas. Character concept and character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

PPS (Post Palindromedary Stuff): To be clear, the line "There was funky China Men from funky China Town" is part of the original lyrics by Carl Douglas, and these phrases are incorporated into the character because the character is a reflection of the entire song. No disrespect is intended to people of Chinese nationality or descent, to their ancient and honorable culture, or to their impressive traditions of unarmed combat. Besides, anyone who knows me will tell you that I never, ever use the word "funky."

A lot of people liked my post. I can't tell if they're liking the time travel joke, or the character, but if you like Everybody and his Kung Fu Fighting, I wanted to point out that there's an entire thread devoted to characters inspired by song lyrics -

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/47826-susanos-song-based-dc-npcs/

We now return to our regularly scheduled retrospective on superheroes of the seventies.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary hears that Electa Woman and Dyna Girl are making a comeback....

The question is when can these Time Travel Hero notes be found. They've been sent forward into the future!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says I'm not being  helpful. Okay, how about this:

Everybody (was Kung Fu Fighting)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

18 DEX 16 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

23 CON 13 14-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

13 EGO 3 12- ECV: 2 - 3

20+5 PRE 10 13- / 14- PRE Attack: 4d6/5d6

7 OCV 20

7 DCV 20

2 OMCV -3

3 DMCV 0

6 SPD 40 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

20 PD 9 Total: 20 PD (9 rPD)

20 ED 9 Total: 20 ED (9 rED)

8 REC 4

20 END 0

11 BODY 1

30 STUN 5

Total Characteristic Cost: 154

Movement: Running: 7m/14m

Leaping: 4m/8m

Swimming: 2m/4m

Cost Powers END

3 It was a little bit frightening: +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Conditional Power Only in combat (-¼), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼)

5 Everybody was KUNG FU fighting: Damage Negation (-3 DCs Physical) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Rare attack (Firearms and weapons with the Real Weapon Limitation, except Martial Arts Weapons; -1), Perceivable (Just looking at him, you know ordinary guns and knives won't work so why bother?; -½), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼), Nonpersistent (-¼) 0

Notes: Don't bring a gun to a kung fu fight!

Kung Fu Fighting!

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 A kickin' from the hip -2 +1 10d6 Strike

4 Chopping them up +0 +2 8d6 Strike

3 Chopping them down +0 +1 6d6 +v/10, Target Falls

4 Started swaying with the hand +2 +2 Block, Abort

3 Now we're into a brand new trip +2 -1 7d6 Strike, Target Falls

5 A sudden motion made me skip -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

73 Billy Chin and little Sammy Wong: Follower

3 Anonymity

Notes: When they hear that "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting" for some reason authorities and villains alike accept that answer and stop looking for someone specific.

12 Positive Reputation: Evildoers fear Everybody; the righteous love Everybody and are eager to help. (A large group) 14-, +4/+4d6

21 Contact: "Everybody" (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (21 Active Points) 11-

Notes: If anything important happens in Funky China Town, Everybody knows it. If there are resources that can be of use to Everybody, then Everybody has access to them. Everybody wants to help Everybody.

Talents

18 Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

2 Those Kicks Were Fast as Lightning: Lightning Reflexes (+8 DEX to act first with a Small Group of Actions: Kung Fu)

3 In fact it was a little bit frightening: +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

3 They fought with expert timing: Absolute Time Sense

Skills

2 It's an ancient Chinese art: KS: Kung Fu 11-

3 And everybody knew their part: Teamwork 13-

3 Here comes the big boss, let's get it on: Streetwise 13- (14-)

1 Took the bow and made a stand WF: Bows

6 Kung Fu Fighting: +2 with a small group of attacks

3 From a fainting, to a slip: Breakfall 13-

3 Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting: Analyze: Style 12-

10 Expert Timing: Defense Maneuver I-IV

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 206

Total Cost: 360

400+ Matching Complications

325 Base Points

15 Social Complication: Secret ID: Carl Douglas Frequently, Major

0 Distinctive Features: Funky China Man (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Funky China Town)

15 Hunted: Big Boss Very Frequently (As Pow; Limited Geographical Area; Harshly Punish)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Everybody who's Kung Fu Fighting; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

Total Complications Points: 360

Background/History:

There was funky Billie Chin and little Sammy Chong

He said, here comes the big boss, let's get it on

We took the bow and made a stand

Started swaying with the hand

A sudden motion made me skip

Now we're into a brand new trip

Personality/Motivation: Keep on, keep on, keep on, sure enough

Quote: Oh-hoh-hoh-HOah!

Powers/Tactics: Kung Fu Fighting

Campaign Use: The mysterious masked martial artist became known as "Everybody" for responding to villains who demanded "Who ARE you?" by saying "I'm everybody you ever wronged, come to set it right!" His friends Funky Billy Chin and Little Sammy Wong may know his identity, but they would never betray him.

Appearance: A little bit frightening.

Lyrics to the song "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas. Character concept and character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

PPS (Post Palindromedary Stuff): To be clear, the line "There was funky China Men from funky China Town" is part of the original lyrics by Carl Douglas, and these phrases are incorporated into the character because the character is a reflection of the entire song. No disrespect is intended to people of Chinese nationality or descent, to their ancient and honorable culture, or to their impressive traditions of unarmed combat. Besides, anyone who knows me will tell you that I never, ever use the word "funky."

With some small alteration this wouldn't make a bad character sheet for Bushido Brown from Boondocks.

Popular 70's archetypes

Victorian adventure out of time

Bio feed back supermen New age mystics and post aquarian psychics

Cyborgs either the totally invisible hero or the grotesquely. Visible villain

Kung fu fighters. The early mins invasion that would become a major issue in the eighties

Themed street gangs come out to play.

Popular 70's archetypes

Victorian adventure out of time

Bio feed back supermen New age mystics

"Don't tell me to calm down. You wouldn't like me when I'm calm."

and post aquarian psychics

Cyborgs either the totally invisible hero or the grotesquely. Visible villain

Kung fu fighters. The early mins invasion that would become a major issue in the eighties

Themed street gangs come out to play.

What, like, guys in baseball uniforms with bats and KISS style greasepaint make up?

Lucius Alexander

I don't remember any early mins invasion. Neither does the palindromedary.

Darn auto correct ninja invasion.

Yes exactly like the baseball furies or maybe the guardian angels

As for biofeedback I refer you to season 2 episode 12 of The Bionic Woman in which she teams up with a doctor who could "heal" himself using biofeedback techniques to communicate to his body and react to stimuli. For example, he could exhibit "super" powers, such as walking on hot coals, by feeling the heat on the sole of his feet and then convincing his body to react by sending large quantities of perspiration to compensate. He could also convince his body to deliver extremely high levels of adrenalin to provide more energy to allow him to run faster and jump higher. When injured, he could slow his heart rate to reduce blood pressure, send extra platelets to aid in clotting a wound, and direct white blood cells to an area to attack infection .

Also warren Ellis's global frequency issue 10 "SUPERVIOLENCE" features a epic twenty three page slug fest between two biofeedback trained expert assassins able to ignore pain enhance strength and push past normal limits of endurance.