Worse than rape

JmOz

If you're talking about a traumatic experience that could break or almost break a person (gender probably doesn't matter here, although the victim was a woman), then may I recommend Jimmy, a novel by William Malmborg. While the title character does engage in a few brief sexual actions, it's the manner in which the victim Kimberly is imprisoned that eventually breaks her will. I found the description of what she went through and the details of how she slowly broke down mentally to be believable, as written. The gore and sexual attacks are very few, toned down as far as details, and not at all the focus of the story. If you get a chance, look it over; it may help with what you're wanting to achieve.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Massively Dark & Grim here...

Unfortunately, statistically speaking, most attempts to psychologically break women DO start with rape...

The only thing I could come up with was a mixture of Drugs & Brainwashing/Torture, Think something

like modern day cult leaders inflict on thier "flocks".

Indeed maybe the Crime-lord is also a religious cult-leader type?

One of my created villains is Mister Wicked, a excentric but not harmless white slaver. I get it. But sometimes you do want to have some real slimeballs out there. But I have no illusions about his survivalbility. In fact, I expect players to forget that there charater has a Code vs Killing whn they learn the full scope of his organization.

Still, with Mister Wicked, I empsise the auctions, bondage, period costuming, and the occasional deathtraps, and leave the breaking by rape in the 'of course it is there but we do not talk about it' category.

For the record, I would never use rape within the context of a roleplaying game.  I know some rape and child molestation survivors.  There are a lot of them out there, and most of them would surprise you if you knew who they were, and the idea of triggering a real life traumatic episode for the sake of a mere game just isn't worth it to me, and if I were to run such a story, I would check with all participants on their comfort levels with the topic.

For the record, I would never use rape within the context of a roleplaying game. I know some rape and child molestation survivors. There are a lot of them out there, and most of them would surprise you if you knew who they were, and the idea of triggering a real life traumatic episode for the sake of a mere game just isn't worth it to me, and if I were to run such a story, I would check with all participants on their comfort levels with the topic.

Humm...it is a good idea. Better safe then sorry.

Massively Dark & Grim here...

Unfortunately, statistically speaking, most attempts to psychologically break women DO start with rape...

The only thing I could come up with was a mixture of Drugs & Brainwashing/Torture, Think something

like modern day cult leaders inflict on thier "flocks".

Indeed maybe the Crime-lord is also a religious cult-leader type?

Often times the most effective way to get to someone isn't what you do to them, but what you do (or threaten to do) to their loved ones.

For the record, I would never use rape within the context of a roleplaying game.  I know some rape and child molestation survivors.  There are a lot of them out there, and most of them would surprise you if you knew who they were, and the idea of triggering a real life traumatic episode for the sake of a mere game just isn't worth it to me, and if I were to run such a story, I would check with all participants on their comfort levels with the topic.

Its always best to tread lightly with graphic, violent, and sexual themes. And, my mantra has always been, "communication is king." Talk to your players. Different people have different things they don't want to deal with in their entertainment. 

As a father of daughters, I turn off any show with child abduction as a theme (esp. girls). If I were to play in a gaming session where that was the crime, I'd politely bow out and say "be back next week." Playing with real fears is not fun.

I also had an extremely dark childhood. My father nearly beat me to death more than once. I survived to adulthood because he left.Child abuse is not something I want in a game. It doesn't "trigger" me (I can't relate to that), but the memories are unpleasant. Why deal sad sack topics when you're trying to have fun?

I also prefer not to see depictions of grievously wounded and maimed soldiers screaming and dying in agony on the battlefield. I've been there and done that in real life. If a soldier gets shot down in a game, that's fine. It happens, but we don't need to dwell on it to "add realism." I already know what it looks like. If a GM goes there, I'll stop them after the game and ask them to reign it in a bit.

I see rape as no different from these things. Why would anyone want to go there? Let alone someone who has experienced it? Its an ugly and traumatic crime against the victim's dignity. Trauma isn't a competition. Individuals process it very differently. For some, rape is worse than death. For others, its just really, really bad. I am unaware of any women who think "it just kind of sucks."

But even if the latter, why take them there? Even by accident?

One of my created villains is Mister Wicked, a excentric but not harmless white slaver. I get it. But sometimes you do want to have some real slimeballs out there. But I have no illusions about his survivalbility. In fact, I expect players to forget that there charater has a Code vs Killing whn they learn the full scope of his organization.

Still, with Mister Wicked, I empsise the auctions, bondage, period costuming, and the occasional deathtraps, and leave the breaking by rape in the 'of course it is there but we do not talk about it' category.

I'd be happy to go up against Mr. Wicked with the stipulation that I get to play Frank Castle.

The. Netflix. Frank. Castle.

I'd be happy to go up against Mr. Wicked with the stipulation that I get to play Frank Castle.

The. Netflix. Frank. Castle.

Haven't seen Daredevil streaming show, but yes, go ahead and take Mister Wicked and his org on. That is what he is there for.

Make shure to make his demise melodramatic and appropriate.

Haven't seen Daredevil streaming show, but yes, go ahead and take Mister Wicked and his org on. That is what he is there for.

Make shure to make his demise melodramatic and appropriate.

I was thinking my Stargate Character would do well. 1km away with a Barret M82 Sniper rifle. Overkill? There's no overkill for jerks like that.  :bmk:

I want to underscore the communication is key comments, for rpgs in general. For example, when I ran a Golden Age WWII game, I indicated that racism and sexism would not be touched on much https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Arsenal_of_Democracy/info

Rather understandable. Heros of that world are the rare type who either are more enlightened than the common man, or got enlightened faster than the common man. It helps to change your attitude when you see the Nazies act that way, and figure that you should be better than the enimie.

I was thinking my Stargate Character would do well. 1km away with a Barret M82 Sniper rifle. Overkill? There's no overkill for jerks like that.  :bmk:

Just found out that Barrett makes a suppressor for that rifle. So that plus subsonic ammo. The target would never know what hit him.

Barrett Model 82A1 3d6RKA, +1Stun Mult, +1OCV, +2RM. pg 70 HSEG

x10 Telescopic Sight +14RM   pg108 HSEG

Large High quality Supressor -5 Per Roll  (Rifles are usually +5Per Roll to hear) pg 108 HSEG

Catch the target out of combat, head shots are only -4 OCV. IIRC the character can achieve OCV 10 with that shot. She's also got a ton of Penalty skill levels vs range mods. Plus Setting for hours on where the target will emerge. She could probably double tap(only -2 OCV) that Just to be sure. 

She was designed to take out Gou'ald system lords. By blowing their stinking heads off before they had a chance of knowing what hit them. She was a ton of fun. Also a bit of a linguist in her spare time.

Just found out that Barrett makes a suppressor for that rifle. So that plus subsonic ammo. The target would never know what hit him.

Barrett Model 82A1 3d6RKA, +1Stun Mult, +1OCV, +2RM. pg 70 HSEG

x10 Telescopic Sight +14RM   pg108 HSEG

Large High quality Supressor -5 Per Roll  (Rifles are usually +5Per Roll to hear) pg 108 HSEG

Catch the target out of combat, head shots are only -4 OCV. IIRC the character can achieve OCV 10 with that shot. She's also got a ton of Penalty skill levels vs range mods. Plus Setting for hours on where the target will emerge. She could probably double tap(only -2 OCV) that Just to be sure. 

She was designed to take out Gou'ald system lords. By blowing their stinking heads off before they had a chance of knowing what hit them. She was a ton of fun. Also a bit of a linguist in her spare time.

You drink Coke Zero, Play Hero, and are a Gun Bunny?

I'd propose, but I'm happily married and definitely not your type!

You drink Coke Zero, Play Hero, and are a Gun Bunny?

I'd propose, but I'm happily married and definitely not your type!

Yeah, your factory equipment isn't what I go for. How about we just say that we would probably make good friends esp in game nights :D

I haven't been to the range in decades. I Do like to know about different guns and what they are used for etc. Also, I tend to go overboard on research for characters. The GM never knew what hit him.