We need BASS, to put that fire out.

Christopher

Some people found out how to fight fire using BASS:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/when-it-comes-to-putting-out-fire-gmu-students-show-its-all-about-that-bass/2015/03/22/47a7f8e8-cf1a-11e4-a2a7-9517a3a70506_story.html

Once you think about it, the idea is pretty sound:

The "Flame" is actually just hot air

Sound is a Gas Pressure Wave

The low frequency prevents the oxygen from reaching the reacting material, so instant fire out.

So far the test were only conducted using rubbing alcohol so it might not work with a real fire/other materials.

Also the scaleability is in question.

Another big issue is that it does not lower the temperature, so the fire might just reignite. Still perhas the best special effect for a "Supress Fire" you could think up.

• 1 month later...

That looks like a great way to deal with class B fires (flammable liquid) which have very little re-flash potential, but I have serious doubts about how well it would work on a class A (flammable solids) fire that would leave glowing embers.

Still, having limited application doesn't mean it can't be a very useful tool for the areas where it applies.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's bass being used to start a fire.  In a manner of speaking.  (Very NSFW.)

The reason we like bass (if we do) is that we can literally "feel" the bass in our bodies. Especialyl in the areas fille with gas or liquids.

Personally I find the feeling of bass in my chest cavity disconcerting. Feels like it is disrupting my heartrate.