New CHaracter Idea

marediv

Not sure if this is the right forum. Thinking of making a new character for a future game and wanted some input. I was thinking of making a hero that had his father being Doctor Destroyer. Not sure if he is going to be natural born or Engineered. If natural born who should his mother be? If engineered should he have been "created" by Teleios amd raised by Menton or some other enemy of Destroyer to eventually replace him, or come to relize on his own he needs to defeat his father for the safety of the world?

Until the thread gets moved ;) ...

There's absolutely no mention in Albert Zerstoiten's current official history of any romantic or sexual relationship. I get the impression he considers no woman to be worthy of him, and probably that love or lust are weaknesses beneath him. So "engineered" sounds more likely to me.

As for the engineer, I would suggest the Doctor himself. He's tried to clone himself, but the unique genetics behind his genius have proven impossible even for him to reproduce. But your character could be one of his "failures," viable but not quite Destroyer's intellectual equal. DD could have discarded him, or more likely (to keep any of Zerstoiten's genes from falling into enemy hands) commanded him to be destroyed. But one of the Doctor's research assistants might have taken pity on the baby, and fled with him into hiding.

This lends itself to the big traumatic reveal of a character's true identity, as the "offspring" of the greatest monster alive, which is a classic hero origin. And it avoids trying to insert messy emotional entanglements between your PC and Dr. D which would be totally out of character for him.

Unless you want to reference Island of Doctor Destroyer/Day of the Destroyer, where he has had at least one mistress.

Indeed. I considered bringing that point up, but it's unclear if she's part of the new continuity. She certainly isn't even referred to in Book Of The Destroyer,

Although how Destroyer was depicted as dealing with her betrayal of him definitely smacks of the SOB he still is. :eg:

The Island of Doctor Destroyer was the first Champions adventure, published in 1981 (first edition).

In a section marked "Options", it included the following:

"2) The Doctor's Mistress: The Doctor has a mistress who is devoted to him, but does not want to see him conquer the world. She can reprogram the computer from a terminal in the Doctor's study so that it will ignore the heroes on its sensors. The reprogramming will take her 10 Turns. The mistress, whose name is Natasha Alexandrovna, will not help the heroes to harm the Doctor in any way, and may turn traitor again and report them if she thinks they will harm her beloved."

Day of the Destroyer was an adventure published in 1990 (fourth edition).

In a section called "Epilogue: The Tomb of Doctor Destroyer" was the following (spelling corrected):

"There are three objects in the room, a huge steel sarcophagus, a mannequin of a woman, and a gramophone.

The mannequin is posed over the sarcophagus. It is a human female in her early 40s, adorned in silks, furs, and fine jewels. If the mannequin is closely examined, the hero will be horrified to find that it was once actually a living woman, who was killed and preserved by Destroyer through the arts of taxidermy. If any of the heroes participated in the Island of Doctor Destroyer, they will recognize her as the Countess Natasha Alexandrovna, who betrayed Destroyer in the original Island of Doctor Destroyer adventure. She paid the ultimate price for her betrayal."

None of this stuff is currently canonical, but it doesn't particularly contradict anything either.

Ok one final question. Is it not allowed to take limitations on stats? I have a GM that gives limitations on stats if they make sense like Mutant DNA and such. I have not seen any such limitaions in 6th edition. And by stats I mean str, dex, etc.

Superman is a good example of a character who has Limitations on some of his Characteristics.

Mutant DNA as such would be a Complication, rather than a Limitation.

There are plenty of mutant powers that would justify buying limited characteristics, but I wouldn't generally allow just being a mutant.

Unless.... mutant suppression technology is relatively common and effective. At least as common as Kryptonite, and an automatic switch-off rather than a drain-type effect. And it probably should affect most or all mutants.