Booby Trapped Projectiles

phoenix240

A classic trick seen in comics and related media is to rigging projectiles usually arrows or thrown weapons and objects to release some harmful (often area of effect or touch based like contact poison or electric shocks for more) effects when caught or intercepted as way to deal with Missile Deflecting Martial artists, speedsters and other nimble types. How could you build these gadgets?

If I wanted to build a realistic, points-efficient power, I would just use a trigger.

i.e. The arrow explodes when its flight-path is disrupted. Therefore, if it was caught, deflected, reflected, or even hit its target, it would immediately explode.

It's not as dramatic as having the 2 second pause between catching the arrow and the explosion (like in The Avengers movie), but it will damage the target a lot more often.

For the contact poison, it triggers when touched by bare skin between the arrow head and the arrow's quills.

It's just AoE.

You can't deflect AoE attacks unless carried in a projectile, by SPFX.

Declare your SPFX to be "goes off as shooter plans".

Now, if it only affects the target who catches it, that'd be more like OCV levels, only to circumvent block/deflect/reflect, I imagine.

I'm using 5th Edition Missile Deflection. And I'm hesitant to just make a SFX, at least some incidences. The Booby trap in some cases is a different attack than the carrier (a face full of tear gas and a electrical jolt instead of a arrowhead or blunt trauma), sometimes there is a delay before it "hits" and the missile deflector has time to mitigate the damage by dropping or throwing the carrier and/or diving away. Also its often set as a deliberate trap to take advantage of a commonly used tactic by the target that its seems to waste some potential by calling just a sfx.

I'm using 5th Edition Missile Deflection. And I'm hesitant to just make a SFX, at least some incidences. The Booby trap in some cases is a different attack than the carrier (a face full of tear gas and a electrical jolt instead of a arrowhead or blunt trauma), sometimes there is a delay before it "hits" and the missile deflector has time to mitigate the damage by dropping or throwing the carrier and/or diving away. Also its often set as a deliberate trap to take advantage of a commonly used tactic by the target that its seems to waste some potential by calling just a sfx.

Well, of course you pay the points for the attacks. It's hard to imagine a projectile that doesn't have both effects on contact, the initial attack and the booby trap.

EG: 1d6 RKA Arrow (15 AP) + 6d6 Explosion Booby Trap (45 AP) = 60 AP.

If the target deflects the arrow, the Booby Trap still affects them. If they don't deflect the arrow and it hits, both attacks affect the target.

I can see no reason to make the Explosion attack more expensive because it is a Booby Trap, or to make it cheaper.

But in most of his examples the booby trap is not an explosion/AoE, it's things like a taser shock if you actually touch the arrow or a puff of gas that may or may not be AoE.

Yes. In those cases, the power would be something like +10 OCV, only vs. Block/Reflect, and a Variable Effect on the attack. One thing if it hits, a different thing if it doesn't.