How to build: Booby trapped projectiles?

phoenix240

A classic trick in comics and related media is to rigging projectiles usually arrows or thrown weapons and objects to release some harmful (often area of effect or touch based like contact poison or electric shocks for more) effects when caught or intercepted as way to deal with Missile Deflecting Martial artists, speedsters and other nimble types. How could you build these gadgets?

In the Avengers movie

Loki catches an arrow Hawkeye fired at him
little did Loki know it had either a remote backup trigger or a range safety selfdestruct
in either case Loki did not have Missile deflect vs area attacks or ranged defection to predetonate the explosive arrow

the delayed effect was just poetic justice for being smug

In the Avengers movie

little did Loki know it had either a remote backup trigger or a range safety selfdestruct

in either case Loki did not have Missile deflect vs area attacks or ranged defection to predetonate the explosive arrow

At it's simplest, that was loki NOT making the Block roll against Hawk's insane OCV.

Alternatively that was Loki having his Missile Deflection up (rememeber, you have to use it pre-emtively) and Hawkeye just hitting him with a AoE arrow.

Note that the arrow itself did not damage loki (much). The aim was to destroy/knock him of his ride. So that Hulk could smash that puny god.

In the Avengers movie

The trigger was on Hawkeye's bow. They showed that.

The trigger is seen earlier, in the assault on the Helicarrier. Hawkeye uses it to take out one of the engines.

You are right.

But that is propably just the special effect of using a Explosive AoE arrow.

Or maybe this was actually a mine arrow all along?

Bows are inherently much more stealthy then guns. So they could be used to place a mine, to be used later (classical trigger case).

I was thinking that some form of Trigger might make a good build for most sfx for this ability.

as a side notion: I've thought that it might back a good addition to the Trigger advantage to include a modifier the eliminate the normal Attack roll for such attacks. For things like land mines and contact poisons. Things that will built as Attacks can't actually miss and/or don't depend on the users OCV.

I was thinking that some form of Trigger might make a good build for most sfx for this ability.

as a side notion: I've thought that it might back a good addition to the Trigger advantage to include a modifier the eliminate the normal Attack roll for such attacks. For things like land mines and contact poisons. Things that will built as Attacks can't actually miss and/or don't depend on the users OCV.

There is no "can't be defended against" advantage.

AoE let's you attack against DCV 3 or 0

Mental attack go against EgoDCV.

In any case the attack still uses the OCV of the original user. It needs to be balanced somehow.